Godot Emulation

Nezha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there was any way to emulate games made in Godot on the 3DS. The ones that hold my interest are rather lightweight and extremely focused on emulating the older SNES style of games, so I have little concern about hardware capability unless it has some obscene stuff going on under the hood.

Either way, thanks in advance.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Its the first time I listen of that console, I guess is a computer... maybe retroarch, you must find out

Nezha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its the first time I listen of that console, I guess is a computer... maybe retroarch, you must find out
Godot is not a console, but an engine, but yes it's for computer.

I'm still doing digging on the side, aye. It's a game I rather like a lot, but it's hard to justify when I have computer access. Things are a bit easy to do when I'm on my 3DS.

Reactions: Doux91

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a limited 3DS port of Godot in the works at some point, but the user responsible for it isn't a part of the homebrew scene anymore and no binaries are available. In theory, someone could continue the project since it's on github (and a more recent fork here), but if you're just looking to play Godot games you're pretty much out of luck for now.

As an aside, there are ways to play LUA, some RPG Maker games and TIC-80 on 3DS. There are probably some other engines I'm forgetting. Godot would be really nice, though. Or even Pico-8.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,
Reactions: Nezha

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
At the end of the day unless someone writes an exporter for the 3DS you'll be otherwise emulating x86 Code, The only reason this was possible with Game Maker Games on the Switch is due to the way the games are actually run, But that required a version of the Yoyo Runner on Switch (Which is what Undertale was)

Reactions: Nezha

Nezha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a limited 3DS port of Godot in the works at some point, but the user responsible for it isn't a part of the homebrew scene anymore and no binaries are available. In theory, someone could continue the project since it's on github (and a more recent fork here), but if you're just looking to play Godot games you're pretty much out of luck for now.

As an aside, there are ways to play LUA, some RPG Maker games and TIC-80 on 3DS. There are probably some other engines I'm forgetting. Godot would be really nice, though. Or even Pico-8.
Aye, I saw the unfortunate developments of the abandoned Godot 3DS port. Maybe someday it'll get picked up as I have little faith in my own developmental abilities, though I suppose given enough time--.

I'll look into the developed fork and maybe hope that I can get it to run the games I desire. Otherwise, I'll just have to test how badly I want this and if it's enough to drive me to continue the project myself. I'm rather committed to many portable technologies and the Switch, sadly, does not meet my needs in the same way the 3DS does despite the latter essentially being obsolete now.

At the end of the day unless someone writes an exporter for the 3DS you'll be otherwise emulating x86 Code, The only reason this was possible with Game Maker Games on the Switch is due to the way the games are actually run, But that required a version of the Yoyo Runner on Switch (Which is what Undertale was)
Sadly, this flies a bit over my head. I'm slowly resigning to the fact that current developments make this not possible at the present and I'll have to jerry-rig something or just flat out learn how to pursue this on my own.

All the same, I appreciate everyone's help.

moetheloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others said, there was a project made for godot compatibility with 3ds, but it only works with 2.0 as far as im aware and the creator is in prison for a good while. There was one guy who said he was working on an updated fork but there was no updates from him since October. Such a sad story, since Godot is my main engine for game development and it would have been really fun exporting my own game and making it work with 3ds systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1