Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vanquish sold approximately 40k so far. That's just goddamn sad. You know how little that is?

Rune Factory 3 sold 11k so far. It's been out for 2 weeks now. The previous Rune Factory games sold nearly triple that on the first week. And he said releasing it on the same date as Black ops won't make a difference. Oh how you wrong you were.

It's God Hand all over again. It'll have a cult following, but it will never become popular because everyone can't stop sucking the dick of Bobby Kotick.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
They just can't compete with a big name franchise like Call of Duty.
Sega seems especially stupid when it comes to these things, like how the released Resonance of Fate around the same time as Final Fantasy XIII. The low sales of Vanquish may also be the way they are because of how short it is though.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
ITT: Games the OP likes don't sell well, so he bitches about CoD.

Maybe they didn't sell because they were bad? Or no one knew about them? Or some other reason that made the sales bad?

Vanquish had little to no advertising, and if people don't know about a game, how are they going to buy it? RF3, I can't really say anything about that, but it's a DS game, and one that apparently was still VERY similar to the other 2 in the series (Not counting Frontiers).

Just play the games if you like them, and stop complaining about how CoD: Black Ops sold more than those games did.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TDWP FTW said:

Maybe they didn't sell because they were bad? Or no one knew about them? Or some other reason that made the sales bad?

Vanquish had little to no advertising, and if people don't know about a game, how are they going to buy it? RF3, I can't really say anything about that, but it's a DS game, and one that apparently was still VERY similar to the other 2 in the series (Not counting Frontiers).

Just play the games if you like them, and stop complaining about how CoD: Black Ops sold more than those games did.
Holy fuck. You do realize Rune factory 3 came out on the same day as Black ops right? Obviously, that easily makes some pretty big changes in sales. Yeah, they're both different genres. So what? People enjoy different genres, and if they saw it, they'd buy it..

Neither of the games are bad, and are considered fantastic games by many. Rune Factory is easily the best game in the series, and Vanquish has an average of 84 from metacritics. Length is fine, unless you were a playing on the casual difficulty. Sure, it could have been longer, but it comes with 5 difficulties and plenty of tactical missions that are fun as hell. Lets not forget about the leaderboard. I don't expect people to hold the same opinion as I do, but I just want to see more people actually giving these games a chance. It's goddamn sad when I'm the only person in the entire city that purchased a copy of a fantastic game. They had a whole bunch of copies on the front and nobody really gives a damn. There were a few Vanquish trailers going off in the EBgames as well, and that didn't change much.

You're right about one of the no-advertising part. SEGA and Natsume can't advertise for shit. However even with no advertising, Yakuza 3, a game almost unheard of outside Japan, managed to sell over 100K. Ok, it's not that great, but it's still better than what Vanquish has managed to do. Natsume never advertise their games, but their harvest moon franchises has been a great success pre-ds harvest moons.

And I'm complaining because with the lack of sales, my favorite franchises and games will never continue. These companies are in it for the money too. Marvelous entertainment was in the reds and nearly had to call bankruptcy. They had to cut massive amounts of people down to continue operating. If they went out of business, then the genre of games I enjoy will become more and more niche, or even cease to exist because they are already in small markets. Seems pretty logical to me.

Because of the lack of sales, I will never see a game similar to God Hand. I will never see a true sequel to Okami. I will never see more games by Cing. And I will never ever see any of my favorite franchises continue. Thanks a lot.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
ojsinnerz. said:
TDWP FTW said:

Holy fuck. You do realize Rune factory 3 came out on the same day as Black ops right? Obviously, that easily makes some pretty big changes in sales. Yeah, they're both different genres. So what? People enjoy different genres, and if they saw it, they'd buy it..

Neither of the games are bad, and are considered fantastic games by many. Rune Factory is easily the best game in the series, and Vanquish has an average of 84 from metacritics. Length is fine, unless you were a playing on the casual difficulty. Sure, it could have been longer, but it comes with 5 difficulties and plenty of tactical missions that are fun as hell. Lets not forget about the leaderboard. I don't expect people to hold the same opinion as I do, but I just want to see more people actually giving these games a chance. It's goddamn sad when I'm the only person in the entire city that purchased a copy of a fantastic game. They had a whole bunch of copies on the front and nobody really gives a damn. There were a few Vanquish trailers going off in the EBgames as well, and that didn't change much.

You're right about one of the no-advertising part. SEGA and Natsume can't advertise for shit. However even with no advertising, Yakuza 3, a game almost unheard of outside Japan, managed to sell over 100K. Ok, it's not that great, but it's still better than what Vanquish has managed to do. Natsume never advertise their games, but their harvest moon franchises has been a great success pre-ds harvest moons.

And I'm complaining because with the lack of sales, my favorite franchises and games will never continue. These companies are in it for the money too. Marvelous entertainment was in the reds and nearly had to call bankruptcy. They had to cut massive amounts of people down to continue operating. If they went out of business, then the genre of games I enjoy will become more and more niche, or even cease to exist because they are already in small markets. Seems pretty logical to me.

Because of the lack of sales, I will never see a game similar to God Hand. I will never see a true sequel to Okami. I will never see more games by Cing. And I will never ever see any of my favorite franchises continue. Thanks a lot.

Don't forget never seeing Viewtiful Joe 3.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A lot of my favourite titles were commercial flops that never got sequels. Oh sure, they were critically acclaimed and gathered a small but cult following, but they were an absolutely embarrassing flop. Grim Fandango failed so hard the industry abandoned the entire genre. It happens. Bad luck, bad timing, lack of marketing... yeah, it sucks, but it happens.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i must say vanquish is a hidden gem ... really glad i came round to playing it

i admit i pirated it for 360, but if it will have any kind of compelling addons in the future OR a sequel and of course a price drop (
tongue.gif
) i WILL pick this up for the PS3

also, is it just me but games for example some 8 years ago were much up to standard than this age
unsure.gif

these days its all about the HD, and the multiplayer and such ... really most games lost their essence.

EXTREMELY sad that we see no quality plat formers for example these days ... what i would pay for a 40 winks remake, or heck a god damn sequel ... then again it wont be as big in scope as the prginial ... not to mention as long and entertaining

such a dull gaming age :/

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
With so many people pirating games nowadays, how can you really expect sales to be huge? There are more pirates than people think, and a big part of the loss in sales can be because of that.

Now, I agree Vanquish is pretty cool and all, but hardly anyone knows about the game like I said before. If the company that made it would've advertised it more (Or at all in this case), sales would have definitely seen an increase. People aren't going to buy a game just because they see it at a store and not knowing what the game is even about.

Now, Rune Factory, the series is getting milked now, just like Harvest Moon. Every game is the same freaking thing. They don't even TRY to do anything different anymore. I mean, even the titles of the games show that (Rune Factory *insert number here*: A Fantasy Harvest Moon). I liked a lot of the older Harvest Moon games (Especially A Wonderful Life for GCN), but it's dying now, and people need to realize that sales aren't going to be as great as the used to be. Again, with so many pirates out there, sales will see a big drop.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
With so many people pirating games nowadays, how can you really expect sales to be huge? There are more pirates than people think, and a big part of the loss in sales can be because of that.

false many game companies say pirating has little impact on sales

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem with Rune Factory 3 is that its just the same fucking thing with some minor changes, that killed the Harvest Moon series. Hopefully the Rune Factory Ocean game will inject something new into it.

As for Vanquish its not had any hype, advertising and the trailers just make it look like the same old 3rd person shooter. Anyone who doesn't know Platinum Games/Clover's pedigree wouldn't care.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
Problem with Rune Factory 3 is that its just the same fucking thing with some minor changes, that killed the Harvest Moon series. Hopefully the Rune Factory Ocean game will inject something new into it.

As for Vanquish its not had any hype, advertising and the trailers just make it look like the same old 3rd person shooter. Anyone who doesn't know Platinum Games/Clover's pedigree wouldn't care.
Most game sequels anymore are just rehashes of the old thing with some tweaks.

Madden has been doing it for like 13 years now

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TDWP FTW said:
Now, I agree Vanquish is pretty cool and all, but hardly anyone knows about the game like I said before. If the company that made it would've advertised it more (Or at all in this case), sales would have definitely seen an increase. People aren't going to buy a game just because they see it at a store and not knowing what the game is even about.

Now, Rune Factory, the series is getting milked now, just like Harvest Moon. Every game is the same freaking thing. They don't even TRY to do anything different anymore. I mean, even the titles of the games show that (Rune Factory *insert number here*: A Fantasy Harvest Moon). I liked a lot of the older Harvest Moon games (Especially A Wonderful Life for GCN), but it's dying now, and people need to realize that sales aren't going to be as great as the used to be. Again, with so many pirates out there, sales will see a big drop.
Actually, if you ever bothered to actually play few of the Rune Factory games, then you'll see how much of an improvement the third game is. There's a new dashing mechanic, adding a combo system, special attacks that actually do something like the, ability to hold onto multiple items at once, new items, festivals that are actually somewhat fun, a character development (In an harvest moon related game? Impossible!) and almost every mechanic has been improved. You can also buy all your farming items at the shop instead of having it all given to you, and there's a few more. You can even invite the townsfolk to help you to fight monsters or bosses.

The basic premise is the same, I guess. You can farm, you can raise animals and all that, but they jazzed it up a lot by adding in dynamic weathers, dynamic character schedules, and so much more. They kept the best things from Rune Factory 1 and 2, then made it polished as hell. That's Rune Factory 3.

The series has had 4 games in the last 4 years. Once in a year, pretty much. But the last Rune Factory game we had was Frontier, which came out 20 months ago. Nearing almost two years.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I've never even heard of Vanquish.

They need to advertise games more.

I agree... Uncharted 2 aside, Vanquish is the only non-sucky shooter out there this gen. It's far more enjoyable than Black Ops or Medal of Honour could ever be, mainly because it combines Western gameplay mechanics with Eastern ones (which is the right move to make for both Western and Eastern developers, in my opinion, instead of this inane idea that games need to be Westernised to sell). It's like Gears of War, except much faster. As with Gears of War, you've a variety of guns, a lot of things you can use as cover and multiple enemies that range from weak fodder to heavy cannons. But you've also got a jetpack that lets you slide between cover and firing your gun while boosting activates slow-motion, which obviously promotes dashing between cover and wiping everything out as you pass them, mindblowingly awesome boss fights and even a scoring system that grades you on the damage you took, the damage you dealt and the time you completed the level in.

Like Bayonetta and Infinite Space, Vanquish is one of the best games on the consoles it's available on. It's just a shame Sega aren't big on advertising their stuff.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
Gaydrian said:

Most game sequels anymore are just rehashes of the old thing with some tweaks.

Madden has been doing it for like 13 years now
Welcome to the gaming world of sequels since 1985.
Tell me this, what game sequel ever has a completely different change in them huh? I hate how people complain about how there was little change, if you want a huge change go play a new game for crying out loud. Sequels are made because the prequel was a success, not because it sucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs