Goddamn video game industry

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally the video game industry can go to fucking hell!!

Its the same as cartoons, whatever the consumer wants they get! So the bitching fest stops right there! Video Game industry don't give a damn about how you or some other player feelings. They only care about how to increase production sales while still raking money inside their FAT pockets! Video Games aren't about fun anymore, its all about a trend.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Personally the video game industry can go to fucking hell!!

Its the same as cartoons, whatever the consumer wants they get! So the bitching fest stops right there! Video Game industry don't give a damn about how you or some other player feelings. They only care about how to increase production sales while still raking money inside their FAT pockets! Video Games aren't about fun anymore, its all about a trend.I don't know what shitty companies you've been buying your games from, but Valve and Blizzard say hi.
  • Did you know that Counter-Strike was originally just a mod for Half-Life? Same with Team Fortress. Fans made them, Valve saw that fans liked them, and then opted to make them official and give them sequels and such. They also make use of extensive player testing and feedback. QUOTEAccording to Half-Life 2: Raising The Bar, the development team noticed that upon hearing the Poison Headcrab's sound playtesters would frantically start looking around for the Poison Headcrab so they could destroy it, regardless of any other present dangers.
  • Playtesters were also heavily used in the development of Portal, if you check out the in-game developer commentary mode they often talk about judging how players reacted to puzzles in order to make them better or fix potential workarounds players found.
  • Blizzard listens to it's users' demands about as well as it can, because it knows it's customers are it's life-blood. Hell, the latest patch for Diablo 2 (a game that was released in 2000) is 1.13c, which was released THIS YEAR, over 10 years after the game's initial release. How did they decide what to put in the patch? They posted a thread and asked the users to tell them. I can most certainly tell you they are NOT raking in the cash on a game released 10 years ago, by the way.

Duero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
ojsinnerz. said:
Vanquish sold approximately 40k so far. That's just goddamn sad. You know how little that is?

Rune Factory 3 sold 11k so far. It's been out for 2 weeks now. The previous Rune Factory games sold nearly triple that on the first week. And he said releasing it on the same date as Black ops won't make a difference. Oh how you wrong you were.

It's God Hand all over again. It'll have a cult following, but it will never become popular because everyone can't stop sucking the dick of Bobby Kotick.

I would not blame the video game industry I would blame all the gamers with there shitty taste in games like shit of duty black ops I feel like much of the games are like a radio station 7 most shitty tunes plays over and over again for 2 weeks just cuz main stream loves that tune while I think is sucks as hell but the rear nice tunes never get played or they get played once. Games are like that the big titles gets all the attention while the games that deserve it most is left out. Im a big Killzone fan but you never see like commercial for it or not allot of gamers talks about it but man you get nagged to death about black ops. And yes I will never get black ops cuz the call of duty community is so bad and immature.

but yeah blame the gamers having bad taste in games >

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Actually, if you ever bothered to actually play few of the Rune Factory games, then you'll see how much of an improvement the third game is. There's [...]
I wasn't aware of any of that, either. Were you aware of it before actually playing the game?
Even the smallest bit of research should be able to get you as far as where I am. I'm really pissed off at how there isn't a single review of the game on the internet yet.

While Valve is a pretty cool company for a lot of things, Blizzard hasn't been the same since the Activision merger.

And your avatar really fucking creeps me out.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz. said:
Rydian said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Actually, if you ever bothered to actually play few of the Rune Factory games, then you'll see how much of an improvement the third game is. There's [...]I wasn't aware of any of that, either. Were you aware of it before actually playing the game?Even the smallest bit of research should be able to get you as far as where I am. I'm really pissed off at how there isn't a single review of the game on the internet yet.
You claim that I'd know these things if I did any research, but then complain there's NO reviews? Isn't that a good sign of there not being info?
tongue.gif

And yes, there's plenty of info on it here on GBAtemp... but we're talking about how a company should publicly give info to the masses via advertising in order to generate sales. GBAtemp does NOT factor into that equation.

QUOTE(ojsinnerz. @ Nov 20 2010, 12:46 AM)
http://rydian.net/art/images/rydian/ry_purse/

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Rydian said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Actually, if you ever bothered to actually play few of the Rune Factory games, then you'll see how much of an improvement the third game is. There's [...]I wasn't aware of any of that, either. Were you aware of it before actually playing the game?Even the smallest bit of research should be able to get you as far as where I am. I'm really pissed off at how there isn't a single review of the game on the internet yet.
You claim that I'd know these things if I did any research, but then complain there's NO reviews? Isn't that a good sign of there not being info?
tongue.gif

And yes, there's plenty of info on it here on GBAtemp... but we're talking about how a company should publicly give info to the masses via advertising in order to generate sales. GBAtemp does NOT factor into that equation.

QUOTE(ojsinnerz. @ Nov 20 2010, 12:46 AM)
http://rydian.net/art/images/rydian/ry_purse/
Reviews aren't the only source of information. You can just google the name and get a decent amount of articles, gameplay videos and such of the game. Even wiki has an article, so meh.

And as a full picture, it's a little less disturbing.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz. said:
Reviews aren't the only source of information. You can just google the name and get a decent amount of articles, gameplay videos and such of the game. Even wiki has an article, so meh.
Question.

Why and how would the average person google for info on a game they don't know exists?

I've never even heard of Vanquish, for example. Is Sega just expecting me to randomly type shit into google and hope it's the word "vanquish", or perhaps hope I stumble upon a preview for it while googling that word to find it's definition? Many good games don't sell because they don't advertise to the right groups (or at all), there's no publicity.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Question.

Why and how would the average person google for info on a game they don't know exists?

I've never even heard of Vanquish, for example. Is Sega just expecting me to randomly type shit into google and hope it's the word "vanquish", or perhaps hope I stumble upon a preview for it while googling that word to find it's definition? Many good games don't sell because they don't advertise to the right groups (or at all), there's no publicity.
There were quite a few trailers on youtube that was popular, and if the "average person" actually looked around for gaming related news, I think they'd see the articles and information. The game didn't get as much advertising as it should have, and yet, mediocre games without any advertisements at all can easily beat the amount Vanquish has sold. Hell, the game sold nothing in the Japanese market, and to my knowledge, it at least had some advertisements.

If it's someone that plays nothing but FPS or whatnot will probably never see or hear about it though. Same with the "casual gamers" and many others like this.

Even with advertisements, some games will often sell next to nothing. It ain't guarenteed to sell well. EBA is one of those games. I saw commercials on an hourly basis while it was being sold, and I happen to be the only person who bought a copy, yet again. The reviews were good, there was pretty decent marketing, and the game was great. Yet, it sold real poorly. Now look, we got no more EBA.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
You know what the industry needs? Demos.
Vanquish already had a demo. In fact, the game had two downloadable demos for free.

There's a very good number of PS3 and 360 demos available. Still didn't make a difference for poor hidden gems.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well in that case it was just bad marketing. You can't depend on people randomly stumbling across your game, it's not a good marketing practice. And you can't expect people to go searching for info, let alone rely on that as a means for the info to propagate. Oh sure, some people go looking and searching for new titles, but you can't rely on that or make it your marketing strategy. You need to make your title known, seen, and available. I've never even heard of Vanquish before you brought it up, and I regularly ogle the pretty pictures in gaming magazines, and I know I would have noticed it because it mentions powered battle armour Augmented Reaction Suits (I have a... thing for those).

It's simple. Not enough people knew (and know) of the game. Whose fault is it? The publishers'. They need to bring it to the gamers' attention, one way or another. And launching at the same time as a hugely hyped and awaited shooter was probably not the best idea either.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
ojsinnerz. said:
Now look, we got no more EBA.

And that's why they sold the rights of the gameplay off to Ubisoft to make MJ: The Experience.

I'm also upset that games that deserve sales and good recognition get completely ignored. On the other hand, who the hell in Natsume thought releasing Rune Factory 3 on the same day as Black Ops was a good idea?!

It appears that games which are amazing and unique get overshadowed by games with a gigantic following. (i.e. COD and all yearly sports games)

The thing is, western gamers have very few points of references for new games whereas gamers from Japan can just read Famitsu or watch TV to see a bunch of upcoming games.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KingdomBlade said:
ojsinnerz. said:
Now look, we got no more EBA.

And that's why they sold the rights of the gameplay off to Ubisoft to make MJ: The Experience.

I'm also upset that games that deserve sales and good recognition get completely ignored. On the other hand, who the hell in Natsume thought releasing Rune Factory 3 on the same day as Black Ops was a good idea?!

It appears that games which are amazing and unique get overshadowed by games with a gigantic following. (i.e. COD and all yearly sports games)

The thing is, western gamers have very few points of references for new games whereas gamers from Japan can just read Famitsu or watch TV to see a bunch of upcoming games.
Actually, even with the pre-order bonuses they had, and the advertisements in famitsu, it only sold 60k in Japan. What's funny is that the previous versions which sold far more.

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A bit sad about game industries, they wont make commercials for awesome games, but they will make commercials for completely sucky games, CoD excluded.
Valkyria Chronicles for example, awesome game, awesome graphics awesome everything, yet the sales were so low that the sequel had to be on the PSP, now THAT is bad!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MeritsAlone said:
A bit sad about game industries, they wont make commercials for awesome games, but they will make commercials for completely sucky games, CoD excluded.
Valkyria Chronicles for example, awesome game, awesome graphics awesome everything, yet the sales were so low that the sequel had to be on the PSP, now THAT is bad!
Actually, they decided to change it the PSP, because the handheld market is so huge in Japan. VC1 had like a trippled amount of sales in NA. VC2 on the other hand sold way more in Japan, while it sold like zero copies in NA.

As of right now, we're not sure if SEGA will bring over VC3 because it'll be so close to the release date of 3DS. And also because again, the sales in NA were terrible.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
vanquish had a nice hologram box maybe they spent all the money on the box but none on advertising
i really dont like the game but every time i see the box i think it stands out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on