Hacking God Eater 2 Translation (Looking for translators!)

devnoname120

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Project cancelled: http://gbatemp.net/threads/god-eate...g-for-translators.386192/page-62#post-7027135

God Eater 2 Translation Project

1428404353-god-eater-2-main.jpg

Screenshots

god-eater-01png-2e3e8a_640w.png

ge2rbps4s01png-b99708_640w.png

ge2rbps4s02png-b99707_640w.png

The story

God Eater 2 is set 3 years after the storyline of God Eater Burst, featuring a new set of characters, with some returning old ones and a new storyline.
The story focuses on a new team of God Eaters, the Special Forces "Blood", who all posses something called "The Power of Blood", as well as the new phenomena known as the "Red Rain". - GameFaqs

Motivation

God Eater 2 has been released on November 14th, 2013 in Japan, but D3Publisher has no plan to make an English localization (EDIT: It will be translated to English, but not for the PSP: http://www.god-eater.com/en/god-eater-is-coming-to-the-west/)
As fans of God Eater 2, we (Coldbird and Noname120) decided to work on tools so as to make the translation of this game possible.

Current progress

The translation is in progress, you can check out the advancement here:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/god-eater-2-translation-project

Team members

Coldbird - Hacker
Noname120 - Translation Coordinator

~~~~~
DeviFoxx - Reviewer
Naki-the-curious - Reviewer
sephurchin - Reviewer
Meikyoushisui - Reviewer

Moriido21 - Reviewer

Recruitment

We are looking for people who speak Japanese, and wish to help us to translate the game.

Here are a few reasons why you should join:
- Work with a talented team
- Be part of one of the most ambitious PSP translation project
- Make the game playable by anyone in the world!

Start translating right away! ;)
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/god-eater-2-translation-project/

Last edited by devnoname120,

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
You could add a proof of concept screenshot with a "hello world" sample dialogue in English replacing some random Japanese one, as part of your announcement. Unless you're not planning to insert anything in the iso and settling with a text-based translation, which could be also fine.
The prospect of having this game in English even as a menu-only translation is exciting, as any official release would be never for the PSP version but rather the PS4 one (an enhanced version of the same game).

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wooooo, finally! I was sure that a project like this would show up sooner or later. (And Coldbird is on it?!) Best wishes for the team.

(Now someone needs to pick Frontier Gate Boost+.)

Reactions: reinzhart

Coldbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not exactly a proof of concept screenshot of ingame dialogs but how about an ISO unpack screenshot instead?
Its a unpack of the latest 1.40 Version Update First Layer, the second layers are linked inside the .res files.

All the text is contained inside the .tr2 table files, those are in turn packed in a deflate based blz2 ZIP file.
We have working tools for both client unpacking and blz2 uncompression / recompression, I also have a tool for TR2 to CSV conversion (and back) from my times when I translated the original God Eater (before Burst was released).

And in case people don't believe said tools do exist...
Here is a fun-sub I did using those tools for the original God Eater back in the day, the file formats didn't change since the very first God Eater, so luckily those tools I coded back then still work today.

unpack.png

Rasen1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's no intent to bring over God Eater 2, but could that be because of God Eater 2 Burst?

reinzhart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Wooooo, finally! I was sure that a project like this would show up sooner or later. (And Coldbird is on it?!) Best wishes for the team.

(Now someone needs to pick Frontier Gate Boost+.)

yeah this awesone news and Coldbird in it that just perfect
man if someday Frontier Gate Boost+ getting translated that would awesome(and tales radiant mythology series too ahahha sorry OOT i was to excited)

ok goodluck fo the team hope going well and fully translated

Reactions: Hargrun

Coldbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've finished the file unpacker today, God Eater 2 (without the 1.40 patch) consists of 161386 files... Quite a lot if you ask me.
Fully unpacked the archive files are 1.84GB (without cross-reference deduplication).

With cross-reference deduplication its around 1.40GB.
I will upload a dump of all text-related files to a cloud-based translation platform sometime over this week (if I can get it done tomorrow that would be great, but I hate to give ETAs that I don't know whether I can keep up for sure).

Either way, I will be providing you guys with a online-translation-website where you guys can contribute translations to this project or proofread other peoples translations.
I think this is the best way we can manage a translation effort like this.

Noname, the topic OP here, will take care of the recruiting and organisation of said group and cloud translation platform (because I can't be assed to set such things up honestly).
I also suggest that everyone that can and is willing to help PM me their Google Hangouts contact information as direct contact between Team Members is usually the best way to go about such things.

Majima

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure this will be localized. Not the PSP version though but Rage Burst was trademarked in Europe earlier this year.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Coldbird, would you upload extract/unpack/pack tool sources on github? Could be useful for other games with similar structure.

Reactions: Hargrun

Coldbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I will once the translation of this one is complete and the patch is out.
I dont like giving out tools ahead of their prime time for one simple reason: attention whores.

This happened countless times to my friend Kitsune and (obviously) me, so I would rather try to avoid that this time around.
Don't worry though, I will provide the source to the tools when the time is right, you know I have a opensource background to me and I intend to stick to it.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Okay :) Just curious, maybe you can then describe briefly (but more detailed than before) the hack background? Fonts were extracted (or this is a rare situation when there is no need to change font at all)?

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That was an awesome job, hope you guys can get some translators. good luck! :D

pd: hope you can help us get the script of the Summon Night games for the psp later, there's a bit of an interest trying to translate it.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dump a script and I will translate it for you. I've played through the entire game three times now that I've finished Rage Burst -- I'm familiar with all the characters and the terminology.

Also it's basically my favorite PSP/Vita game and I'd love for others to be able to play it.

(I couldn't resist...)

Words can't describe what I feel, so stick with the video! :lol:

Reactions: Pablitox

Coldbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Alright guys. Told you the text-dumps would be ready by the weekend.
A static copy in gettext PO file format + metadata has been uploaded to the github repository at https://github.com/MrColdbird/God-Eater-2-Translation-Project.

Noname will be putting up a transifex Web-Translation version of those files soon so that the crowd-translation can begin.
A week for a full disassembling of the game, not too shabby...

It's a lot of files we need to go through though as you can tell from the github repository.
Either way, it was a long day and I need some rest / fancy time with my wife right now, so I will be back tomorrow, enjoy the work done so far in the meantime.

Masaki Kenshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey coldbird, i would like to do some translations in the text dump but where do i input the text and how.... sorry im a bit new to this kinda thing. I just wanted to help out to boost this project a bit, so that everyone can get an english translation.. sorry about this, and thank you.

Coldbird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've uploaded a bundle with just the files that need translation on Coldbird.net.

After you unpack the text only dump, you will have exactly 3779 files that need translating.

Open them with a proper text editor like notepad++ and there you will find two identical copies of every text in the game.

One time in a msgid tag and one time in a msgstr tag.
The msgid one is not to be tampered with and is there for reference only. It should always contain the original Japanese text.

Your translation should go into the msgstr one, whenever a folder is done and fully translated, a copy should be given to either noname or me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: