Gaming Giving Limited User access to a certain "unacessable" folder

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on the original admin account, trying to give access to the themes folder to a limited user. I can't though...
lCiRz.png

I don't understand why I can't. The admin password needs to be typed in EVERY time my brother wants to use a theme, and its annoying, I even disabled UAC, which didn't fix anything. Why can't I give him permission to full access to this folder??

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: let me create a standard user account

On the standard user account, I was able to access the theme folder. I was even able to change themes. Can you tell us a little bit more on what you are doing to lock down the account

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
On the standard user account, I was able to access the theme folder. I was even able to change themes. Can you tell us a little bit more on what you are doing to lock down the account
I am running Windows 7 64 bit, (build 7400 I think?) (Home Premium)
My mom set up his parental controls. Right now his access looks like this:
tbVTM.png

I CAN'T make him an admin, because my mom won't let him. She says he needs to be monitored, and have time limits. -.-

How would I make him a Power User? I just read I can't, cause it was removed after Vista, then I read I could?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are right, its no longer possible to make him into a power user in Windows 7. At my work, we put all the staff as power users (on windows XP computers) because it allows them to do normal tasks (such as desktop backgrounds) but not the main administrator tasks.

Another possibility I was thinking is that Group Policy may be involved but that's only in professional or ultimate (which is another way to manage local/domain accounts). When we move people to windows 7 at my work, we move them onto a domain and use group policy to manage what permissions they have (which is like super flexible).

---

That's a strange problem because I created a test account with the same setup that looks like above and I can change themes and go into the theme folder. However, I was certain a standard user can't make changes to shared folders such as themes because they can potentially mess with other accounts with exploiting windows functions. I'll look more into it

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I went on his account and tried replacing some files in System32 for the themes, and again it wouldn't work. So I think it has something to do with the Windows folders, so non-admins can't get in and mess with those files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat