TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Rule of Thirds
By ThatDudeWithTheFood​

Lets start with explaining the Rule of Thirds.

You have to divide your piece into thirds.Do this horizontally and vertically like so.
photoProgramCompBig23.jpg

The circled spots(intersects) are where you want to place the main focus of your piece(Render or anything else)
Why should you place it there you ask?
This draws focus towards your focal point.You don't always have to place things there but most of the time you should.Sometimes people just stick there render straight into the middle of their canvas and add some effects but often that looks very bad and unprofessional.
How to implement the Rule of Thirds(Photoshop)
Look it has pictures.​

Start by clicking View>New Guide
Screen%20Shot%202011-09-10%20at%2012.59.40%20PM.png

When you click that a box should appear put the following in the boxes to get a nice guideline.(4 times)

First.png

Second.png

Third.png

Fourth.png

The Result:

Result.png

End Tutorial

Use this to make your work BETTER!!!!oneoneelevenonehundered

P.S This tutorial was made for GBAtemp and GBAtemp only. DON'T RIP

D

Deleted_171835

These tutorials are pretty good.

I think it would be better if you finished all the tutorials, and then made one big thread composed of graphics tutorials.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
These tutorials are pretty good.

I think it would be better if you finished all the tutorials, and then made one big thread composed of graphics tutorials.
I was going to do something similar and keep a blog thread with links to every tutorial and then have it so that when you click my sig it takes you to the blog.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scott-105 said:
The rule of thirds is something I learned a while ago in a class at school. Pictures truly do look better with grid of thirds.
Thank you for agreeing with me(Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough AlanJohn Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough)

_Chaz_ said:
Oh I remember the rule of thirds.

Good stuff, I like this tutorial.
Thanks next one comes out Saturday.

QUOTE(Satangel @ Sep 10 2011, 06:26 PM)
Heard of this in photography class, but never thought of applying it to my sigs. It makes sense it's useful for sigs too. Tnx!
Your sig kind of already has it.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
I've never heard of the Rule of Thirds, but I have heard of the Golden Ratio (from Art Appeciation class). It wonder if this ratio (1.618/1) is comparable to those ratios in the Rule of Thirds (1.5/1, for example). Interesting stuff.
Wow they're really close but it seems like the Golden ratio is more used in vertical things.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe Golden Ratio is used more for the actual size of the thing. For example, if you were making a signature or whatever, you'd size it so that the ratio of the length:height is equal to the ratio of length+height:length. You'd still use Rule of Thirds in the composition of the piece, Golden Ratio is just for size I think.

EDIT: Also, where does you figure of 1.5:1 for the ratio of Rule of Thirds come from?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
SifJar said:
I believe Golden Ratio is used more for the actual size of the thing. For example, if you were making a signature or whatever, you'd size it so that the ratio of the length:height is equal to the ratio of length+height:length. You'd still use Rule of Thirds in the composition of the piece, Golden Ratio is just for size I think.

EDIT: Also, where does you figure of 1.5:1 for the ratio of Rule of Thirds come from?
3 thirds over 2 thirds(3/3 / 2/3 is 1.5)-- it's very close the the golden ratio.

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilc...denSection.html
http://artschoolathome.wordpress.com/2008/...-ratios-in-art/
It's really not a coincidence, I think the Rule of Thirds was derived from the Golden Ratio.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
When I take pictures I sort of do this naturally. I always thought they looked better not bang in the middle, I suppose I must have sub-consciously picked up on this rule while looking at other people's pictures.
Then, about a year ago I first heard of the rule of thirds. Only recently though have I realised I was already doing it.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Used it as a web cam for a day for fun, sooo shitty it was hilarious