TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Rule of Thirds
By ThatDudeWithTheFood​

Lets start with explaining the Rule of Thirds.

You have to divide your piece into thirds.Do this horizontally and vertically like so.
photoProgramCompBig23.jpg

The circled spots(intersects) are where you want to place the main focus of your piece(Render or anything else)
Why should you place it there you ask?
This draws focus towards your focal point.You don't always have to place things there but most of the time you should.Sometimes people just stick there render straight into the middle of their canvas and add some effects but often that looks very bad and unprofessional.
How to implement the Rule of Thirds(Photoshop)
Look it has pictures.​

Start by clicking View>New Guide
Screen%20Shot%202011-09-10%20at%2012.59.40%20PM.png

When you click that a box should appear put the following in the boxes to get a nice guideline.(4 times)

First.png

Second.png

Third.png

Fourth.png

The Result:

Result.png

End Tutorial

Use this to make your work BETTER!!!!oneoneelevenonehundered

P.S This tutorial was made for GBAtemp and GBAtemp only. DON'T RIP

D

Deleted_171835

These tutorials are pretty good.

I think it would be better if you finished all the tutorials, and then made one big thread composed of graphics tutorials.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
These tutorials are pretty good.

I think it would be better if you finished all the tutorials, and then made one big thread composed of graphics tutorials.
I was going to do something similar and keep a blog thread with links to every tutorial and then have it so that when you click my sig it takes you to the blog.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scott-105 said:
The rule of thirds is something I learned a while ago in a class at school. Pictures truly do look better with grid of thirds.
Thank you for agreeing with me(Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough AlanJohn Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough)

_Chaz_ said:
Oh I remember the rule of thirds.

Good stuff, I like this tutorial.
Thanks next one comes out Saturday.

QUOTE(Satangel @ Sep 10 2011, 06:26 PM)
Heard of this in photography class, but never thought of applying it to my sigs. It makes sense it's useful for sigs too. Tnx!
Your sig kind of already has it.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
I've never heard of the Rule of Thirds, but I have heard of the Golden Ratio (from Art Appeciation class). It wonder if this ratio (1.618/1) is comparable to those ratios in the Rule of Thirds (1.5/1, for example). Interesting stuff.
Wow they're really close but it seems like the Golden ratio is more used in vertical things.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe Golden Ratio is used more for the actual size of the thing. For example, if you were making a signature or whatever, you'd size it so that the ratio of the length:height is equal to the ratio of length+height:length. You'd still use Rule of Thirds in the composition of the piece, Golden Ratio is just for size I think.

EDIT: Also, where does you figure of 1.5:1 for the ratio of Rule of Thirds come from?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
SifJar said:
I believe Golden Ratio is used more for the actual size of the thing. For example, if you were making a signature or whatever, you'd size it so that the ratio of the length:height is equal to the ratio of length+height:length. You'd still use Rule of Thirds in the composition of the piece, Golden Ratio is just for size I think.

EDIT: Also, where does you figure of 1.5:1 for the ratio of Rule of Thirds come from?
3 thirds over 2 thirds(3/3 / 2/3 is 1.5)-- it's very close the the golden ratio.

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilc...denSection.html
http://artschoolathome.wordpress.com/2008/...-ratios-in-art/
It's really not a coincidence, I think the Rule of Thirds was derived from the Golden Ratio.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
When I take pictures I sort of do this naturally. I always thought they looked better not bang in the middle, I suppose I must have sub-consciously picked up on this rule while looking at other people's pictures.
Then, about a year ago I first heard of the rule of thirds. Only recently though have I realised I was already doing it.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...