Getting tired of this - Error Code 018-0516

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by Ericzander, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Ericzander
    OP

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Hey guys, so I've been getting this error code at my apartment on both my Wii U and 3DS ever since day one of Mario Kart 8's release. On rare occasions I'm able to connect but the times that it lets me do it are few and far between. I don't have this issue on my 360 or PS3 either, it's just for the Wii U and 3DS.

Here's what I gathered from the Big N's site:
    • This error code typically indicates an issue communicating and matchmaking with other players.
    • This is often caused by network firewalls blocking necessary network traffic.
    • This can be caused by your network, or the network of the person you are connecting with. If these steps do not resolve your connection issue, have your friend try them as well.
    Here's my information... I live in an apartment with wifi that is paid for and provided by my landlord. I have my own personal router (shh, I don't think I'm supposed to) so that I don't have to deal with connecting with everyone else in the apartment, though we still all share the same connection. Last year a Nintendo employee helped troubleshoot these issues using a remote desktop and messing with my router settings. It's also a Netgear router, so I don't login using my IP address, I use routerlogin.net. However he was unsuccessful even after opening ports and stuff like that.

I'm wondering if you guys know of anything that I can do to get this settled. I can obviously mess with my router's settings to my hearts content but I obviously can't mess with the landlord's router/modem. Are there any steps that you suggest or things that I can do to help make me connect more often, because once I do connect I actually stay connected. It's just that initial connection that's a bitch. If DNS has anything to do with it, I would like to stay on the Tubehax DNS. If you need any more information I'll be happy to tell. Thank you!

2. Foxy

Foxy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2015
    Brazil
    I solved this before by setting my 3DS's IP address manually then adding it to my router's DMZ.

3. Ericzander
    OP

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I believe I tried that with my Wii U and it didn't work out. Perhaps I did it wrong? I know how to add it to the DMZ (unfortunately I can only add one thing to the DMZ at a time, so it won't help me and my fiance both connect). People advise that once you make a manual IP address that you should then make the DNS primary: 8.8.8.8 and secondary: 8.8.4.4 but I wanna keep it at Tubehax's DNS.

I'm wondering... Could it be that even though I'm using my own router, the landlord's settings are superseding anything that I do?

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Disable DHCP in your router, and enable DMZ. That usually helps Xbox Live, so give it a try and see if it works for your Wii U.

5. ll0rT

ll0rT GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2014
    I had the same problem before. I don't remember if the error code is same, but I too was able to connect rarely when I try to find opponents in smash, 95% of the time it throws an error like "Unable to connect other player's device". Almost every multiplayer Nintendo game except main Pokemon games were give that message when I try to connect other players.

Solution? I tried everything to fix the problem but nope. And after I bought a new router, the problem's gone! So if your problem is same as mine, your problem is probably the router.

Last edited by ll0rT, Dec 5, 2015