Hacking Getting stack dumps and more

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(If there's something else I should mention let me know. Sorry if it's a little tl;dr. A little tired and drunk and irritated with this whole mess.)

I followed the guide to the tee at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901&st=0 and it all went very smoothly. I went from 4.0 to 4.2.

First thing I tried was using a thumb drive of my friend's to try and load 6-8 backup games using the latest USB Loader GX, NeoGamma and Configurable USB Loader. They all had the same issue, I got a black screen and then I got the "An error has occurred. Please shut off your Wii. . .". So I tried putting ios 222 on there, checked to make sure I didn't skip any steps. Nothing. I get this same error trying to run WiiWare titles, but not virtual console titles. I can install apps just fine through homebrew channel.

Second thing is if I try to go into either USB Loader or Configurable USB Loader to load by external HDD I get a stack dump before it loads the program (it happens soon as it tries to look in the HDD) It's a 1tb Toshiba External ph3100u-1e. I tried using NeoGamma to see what'd happen, but it ends up just doing nothing when trying to look at the hard drive, but no crash. I have it partitioned properly.
However, upon boot this HDD always loads a virtual CD with backup software and such. If anyone has any ideas if that'd be causing the code dump let me know, it may be unfixable for me.

Third thing is my own fault most likely. My Wii's been unable to read games for a while, it's a first gen Wii so the laser just started to go out. I figured I'd go ahead and clean it, and did, and it didn't help. So I neglected it in a friend's cabinet for a few months and came back to it recently. While I was putting it all back together I accidentally ripped the data cable from the DVD drive, breaking the plastic bracket holding it in, which I super glued back together with the data cable inside. Upon putting it all back together I can no longer insert discs (I checked the rubber band in the disc drive, it seems fine). It just doesn't sense them being put in. I managed to somehow get a disc in there but it wouldn't acknowledge on the disc menu that there was even a disc in there (which it normally would have just failed to load, but still would have tried).
I'm under the impression it's impossible to load USB games without a disc drive. Is that true?

Thank you for any future advice.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Without a DVD drive attached to the motherboard a wii typically will not function correctly. IOS wants to see a drive to work correctly. Which connector is broken? The one on the motherboard? If so, call N.

If it's the connector on the drive (is there one?), and NOT the motherboard connector: Buy a new drive and install it. Any Wii drive will do, but a D2-something or DMS is best if you plan to play DVD backups. Avoid the D3 models, since a D3-2 model is going around which is pirate-proof (won't play burned discs).

EDIT: Super glue won't fix the connectors, since it is non-conductive.

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
EDIT: Super glue won't fix the connectors, since it is non-conductive.

Alright then, since I'm probably not going to invest in a new drive, fixing whatever happened with that data cable is the only solution.
I only super glued the clamp that's meant to hold the data cable back down, because that's all that broke. As far as I can tell the cable is in. The black side of the cable faces away from the drive correct?

I managed to get some extra clicking noises out of the dvd drive when it would try to load Wiiware, which seemed like an improvement. It took longer for the error to come up too. Still not any real progress.

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adambomb said:
A little tired and drunk and irritated with this whole mess.)

Alright then, since I'm probably not going to invest in a new drive,

this has got to b "the" adambomb heh

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The clamp being broken is an issue in itself. The clamp "squeezes" the contacts down so they touch the cable when you lock it, and the cable won't connect properly otherwise. If this motherboard connector for the drive, replace the wii.

Fixing the ribbon if it's mangled can be a PITA. The clamp is almost impossible to fix without replacement. You're the first I've heard to break the connector/clamp. Most people break the ribbons.

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Fixing the ribbon if it's mangled can be a PITA. The clamp is almost impossible to fix without replacement. You're the first I've heard to break the connector/clamp. Most people break the ribbons.

Lucky me eh. I'm just cool like that.
Yeah, I've tried pressing it down manually and I can get the drive to turn, but it doesn't seem to be operating normally still, wiiware and loaders don't work. Probably screwed something up permanently, I think I'm about to give up. Won't accept discs either when it seems to be connected.

Still facing the issue of dealing with the hard drive however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny