Hacking Get ANY enclosure working on your Wii!

• Thread starter Deleted-19228
  • Start date
  • Views 3,354
  • Replies 19
D

Deleted-19228

OP
I just tested 4 enclosures and 1 actually allowed me to format however would not work after the wii rebooted. I messed around with that one for awhile and finally decided to test something that I used to have to do on something else..

Boot up your wii and usb hard drive (only tested on externally powered 3.5" enclosures) go to the channel and open it DO NOT HIT START. Power up the drive and after it spins up in about 2-4 seconds hit start.

Tested on 4 different enclosures with 100% compatibility! Enjoy!

elmachin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont understand when i hit a on the channel it starts the loader and then it tells me to hit any button to restart. i dont get a chance to power up the drive

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you power up this way now i wonder how you did it before? I always power Wii and enclosure at the same time.

D

Deleted-19228

OP
I tested it on 4 completely different enclosures, so either it is NOT an issue with the usb devices and is actually the hard drives inside them, or you didn't do it properly. All 4 did not work previously doing any kind of boot up methods. Turning the Wii on then the drive, turning them on at the same time, rebooting with the drive on. Nothing.

Going to the channel then booting the drive up and waiting a few seconds then hitting start worked 100% on each drive every time. If you wait too long it does not work, simple as that. Try it faster next time.

This I verified does NOT work on thumbsticks that do not work. So far externally powered 3.5" only.

Darkzero51521

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neptune said:
I tested it on 4 completely different enclosures, so either it is NOT an issue with the usb devices and is actually the hard drives inside them, or you didn't do it properly. All 4 did not work previously doing any kind of boot up methods. Turning the Wii on then the drive, turning them on at the same time, rebooting with the drive on. Nothing.

Going to the channel then booting the drive up and waiting a few seconds then hitting start worked 100% on each drive every time. If you wait too long it does not work, simple as that. Try it faster next time.

This I verified does NOT work on thumbsticks that do not work. So far externally powered 3.5" only.

No.

The issue is the enclosures themselves/the way they work/the drivers, it has nothing to do with the hard drive. And what about the people with USB powered externals? Just because you were lucky with four, doesn't mean this will work with "any" enclosure.

Ontop of that, why would going to the channel make any difference than if you just went to the Wii menu and powered it up? There's nothing that's been loaded when you click a channel, only after you've started it.

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been trying stuff like this sence the loader came out and i can say for sure this will not work with all 3.5 enclosures that are powered by a power cord not a usb cord so i happy yours works but the reast of us are stuck till we buy better smaller usb HDD.
hate2.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
lecture.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Darkzero51521 said:
Neptune said:
I tested it on 4 completely different enclosures, so either it is NOT an issue with the usb devices and is actually the hard drives inside them, or you didn't do it properly.
No.

The issue is the enclosures themselves/the way they work/the drivers, it has nothing to do with the hard drive. And what about the people with USB powered externals? Just because you were lucky with four, doesn't mean this will work with "any" enclosure.
I agree with Darkzero51521 on this. There are some enclosures whose USB to ATA (whether SATA or PATA) just do not work with the Wii at all or with this USB loader.
It has nothing to do with the size of disk (3.5") or the type of USB mass storage device being used (Flashdrive, SD adapter or HDD adapter).

Someone else posted how they were able to get any HDD adapter working before, yet they had only tried a few too.
I'm glad you've had success and are sharing your experience but this is no hack that makes incompatible devices work. It is a method of making compatible devices with issues work.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I power on my enclosure before I power on my Wii.
But even if I don't power it on first, as long as I leave a moment between powering on the enclosure, and booting the USB Loader I have no problems.

mierdatuti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I power on my enclosure before I power on my Wii and I don't have any problem, however, with some games load perfectly until they freezes after a while
frown.gif

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm also using a 3.5 enclosures and have problems getting the USB loader to detect it straight away.

what has worked for me on a Westen Digital 320gb and Seagate 80gb on the same enclosure is.
Boot up Geexbox first and check that it has detected your HD, if so chose the reboot option in Geexbox.
After it rebooted click the USB Loader and your hard drive is detected.

Again I've only tested this on 2 HD (sorry dont have the model numbers on hand0

shrek02

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
just wanted to ask i've been trying to use the USB loader on my wii but when the USB loader loads up it never ask to format may external drive? im not sure if it is being detected. loader does not give me any error. i've followed the instructions on how to install the USB Loader and was able to install successfully. the only problem when it comes to the part on how to install the USB External drive. on the tutorials after installing the cIOS and usb loader then I should plug in my external drive then load the USB loader after that it was supposed to tell me that the external drive is not partitioned or something like that but it is not prompting me to format my drive.

can please anybody help me thanks

anino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bugaveli said:
thread title is BS. its things like this that make noobs ask a million questions bcuz of one misleading thread. Good work on your get my enclosures to work thread

Title is misleading.. I have 2 external HDD both powered and 3.5 PATA one did not work. This depends on the chip used by the manufacturer . The one that fails just give a blank screen not even an error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what is the latest hfw?