Gentoo Linux, Linux Mint, or Arch Linux?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Kickstarts, Dec 6, 2010.

Dec 6, 2010
  1. Kickstarts
    OP

Newcomer Kickstarts Member

Vietnam
    Which of those three should I be using? Of course, you can recommend any other main Linux distributions. Maybe you should note I never used any OS UNIX-like or, you know, based on Linux.

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Then it might be a lil better to start from a more user-friendly distro, like Ubuntu [​IMG]

3. Kickstarts
    OP

Vietnam
    Really? I thought I'd be better of with those three ones, but okay. And, since we're also talking about OS, is any Chromium OS worth the try?

4. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    You could try Ubuntu, it's pretty user-friendly. Also, Mint is based on Ubuntu. But it doesn't really matter which distro you install because you can then customize it anyway you want. Just be sure it is updated regularly, like Ubuntu(every 6 months).

5. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    Yeah, most people (myself included) used ubuntu before using other distros.

I highly recommend trying ubuntu first and getting used to it, then trying out others [​IMG]

6. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well, arch and gentoo are rolling releases.

but yeah, start with either mint or ubuntu. i know many a people who started with gentoo and arch and put off linux. they really are not meant for beginners.

7. Kickstarts
    OP

Vietnam
    And, since Linux Mint has updates that are as regular as Ubuntu's own, I think I'll go with Mint. The design in itself appeals more to me. Although, is there any other reason I should have a preference for Ubuntu?

8. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    Linux Mint may be a better choice than Ubuntu especially if you're a Windows user, since there is less setup to be done and it has a Windows like Mint Menu. It's also not incorporating some of the strange decisions that Ubuntu will have in the future, like the Unity interface. To be honest though, I mean don't get me wrong, they're both great distros to start with, but once you get acquainted with it, you start to realize that it's not really as lightweight as most people make it out t be.

Once you are more comfortable with Linux, then you can move on to a more complicated distro like Arch. Arch is very complicated to setup for first time users. While there is a lot of great documentation for it, it's still not something you can do without prior experience with Linux, a guide and a few days work. But once you try it, you will have a nice, lightweight distro that has everything you need and nothing else.

Not much i can say about Gentoo. I haven't much experience with it myself.

One thing I will mention though, you will benefit from knowing your hardware inside and out. It will help troubleshoot any hardware issues and incompatibilities you might have when installing. Good luck!!

9. Kickstarts
    OP

Vietnam
    I think I've heard about those weird sound problems with headphones on Ubuntu. And I do agree, based on the methods of fixing given, that knowing what my computer is made of would be totally awesome. But, as you might have guessed, I suck. I'm not particularly fond of this technical things, and I don't think pushing myself is a good thing either. I'll try to do without. There's still you guys to help me out afterward, anyways =P

And in the end, I'll go for Mint. Seems more sophisticated and friendly than Ubuntu.

10. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    There's also the good folks at Ubuntu forum who can help you.

11. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    I find it strange that you are not fond of technical things yet you are interested in trying out Linux. In that case, I will say, start with Linux Mint, then see where things take you. The best way to find out if you will have problems is to just jump right in (after doing any necessary backing up of course).

12. Kickstarts
    OP

Vietnam
    Yeah, there's always the Ubuntu forums, too. The members over there are definitely quite helpful.

Actually, I'm not really fond of partitions, drivers, sound cards, etc. Everything that composes a computer and hard drives. Otherwise, I'm very much interested in OSs and everything related to them. Like, in this case, Distros. I tend to express what I mean badly, but I think I got it through this time around =P

13. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Regarding Gentoo, you really learn a lot about how Linux works when you set it up and use it (knowledge which is also extremely useful when using other distros), but it's extremely hard and troublesome to maintain. It's great for a learning project when you are already a bit familiar with Linux, but not so much as a main OS.

Thre isn't much more to add as nutella has already covered everything else well in his posts.

14. redfalcon

Member redfalcon GBATemp Member

Germany
    Try the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). This way you have a rolling release platform (via Debian Testing) plus all desktop enhancements from Linux Mint. You can use the Ubuntu Forums for Mint problems in pretty much all cases anyway. But you can't use the Ubuntu-Repositories since they are not 100% compatible (afaik) with pure Debian.

15. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Because of that, Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu.
    Kubuntu and Xubuntu are just variations of Ubuntu.
    Kubuntu uses a KDE graphical environment instead of a GNOME one. Xubuntu uses a XFCE desktop environment so it's great for low spec systems.
    I've never had a problem installing Ubuntu and the only problem I ever had got corrected in 9.10.
    Also if you want to dip your feet into the terminal side of Linux then there's a wide range of guides to get you started with Ubuntu.

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I'll quote a friend of mine.

"You wouldn't like Gentoo. We teach you to swim by dropping you in the deep end."

17. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Spoiler: All these guides (including the vast amount on the Ubuntu forums) can be used for Linux Mint too.

18. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    Well, I didn't know shit about Linux but I started out with archlinux. It's not that hard, the archlinux wiki got everything explained quite well. [​IMG]

19. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Ubuntu and it's derivatives (eg Mint) are awful for anyone who actually wants to be competent in maintaining their system, and take advantage of the many benefits using an open platform like Linux provides. It's a horrible, buggy distro, and any problem you encounter will be obscured by so many layers of software that chances are you'll never solve it (short of having someone more experienced do the work for you).

I definitely recommend arch. It has ample documentation and a great community. Its setup very simply and intuitively, which makes it great if you actually want to learn about the platform.

20. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You say Ubuntu and its derivatives are horrible and buggy, yet recommend him a bleeding-edge distro? Arch breaks ten times more often than Ubuntu for me...

Anyway, I recommend Fedora or Ubuntu for a beginning distro, or maybe Mint if you're going to install all the extras anyway. If you want something more stable and to learn a bit more, don't hop on into the deep end just yet (especially since Gentoo is going too far for any real use). Move onto Debian Unstable, then onto Arch, and so on.

If you want Arch but it's too confounding, try Chakra, which is Arch but with a complete GUI and live CD ready to roll, it's a wonderful distro.
    If you really want Gentoo, try Sabayon, a Gentoo derivative, which tends to be more broken but it lots of fun to use.