Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
Oh. Didn't know thats how it worked. I have a mac, so I'd run into problems trying to build the Goomba ROM.
Code:
You can also append games onto the emulator using the "DOS" command prompt:
copy /b goomba.gba+game1.gb+game2.gb goomba_out.gba

Or with a unix prompt (for Mac/Linux users):
cat goomba.gba *.gbc *.gb *.sgb > goomba_out.gba
Not sure how you'd do things like changing the header name via the command prompt.

QUOTE(gumbyx84 @ Jan 24 2011, 12:21 AM) BTW: if Goomba Color is only 0.1MB, why not just add all the ROMs to one file? Are there problems with multiboot?
You could add them all to one file, but as I said you MIGHT POSSIBLY run into problems, but there is the goomba_mb.gba version that should solve that (I think that's what the _mb version is for) apparently goomba.gba contains two versions (the 'original' goomba.gba + goomba_mb.gba).

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its odd that you can append the GBC roms to the goomba ROM, but I guess it makes sense if coded right.

Do you mean Goomba_mb.gba has been combined with goomba.gba or that you use it if you want multiple roms appended?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
Its odd that you can append the GBC roms to the goomba ROM, but I guess it makes sense if coded right.

Do you mean Goomba_mb.gba has been combined with goomba.gba or that you use it if you want multiple roms appended?
goomba.gba contains a copy of goomba_mb.gba (i.e. goomba.gba essentially contains TWO emulators inside it), same with goomba_save32.gba (this is a verision that is to be used in case your card doesn't make the save(s) the proper size).

I would GUESS that if you wanted to make a Multiboot you could POSSIBLY use goomba_mb.gba to save ~57kb, but it's 57kb or 0.05MB, IMO not worth the effort to bother with it.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh the question had nothing to do with space taken up by ROM. Was just confused as to what you meant. Thanks for heads up. I plan on getting a GBA Flash cart to use with the GameBoy Player and Goomba Color and this is something I would have ended up asking for help with in the future.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Part of the reason you'd want separate rom files per game is that while yes, you can put multiple GBC games into a single compilation *.gba file, the maximum size of any GBA rom is 32 MB. Also on the 3-in-1 in particular, you'd want to use something smaller than 16 MB so you can quickly load it to RAM rather than the slow NOR flash.

Also in the world of GBA, "multiboot" means sending something to another GBA via a link cable when the receiving GBA held Start+Select at boot. This only works for files less than 256 KB in size (the size of the GBA's RAM) and since no GB/GBC games are that small, you'll never be able to use the feature here. Multiboot does not mean the process of having multiple games in one file and using the startup menu to choose which one to play, although Goomba Color does do that. Point is, don't let the documentation confuse you on the meaning of that word.

Also if you really really want to give it a shot, Dwedit did make a preliminary port of Goomba Color to the DS but it's not really all that usable. Latest download is at http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...sc&start=30

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Also in the world of GBA, "multiboot" means sending something to another GBA via a link cable when the receiving GBA held Start+Select at boot. This only works for files less than 256 KB in size (the size of the GBA's RAM) and since no GB/GBC games are that small, you'll never be able to use the feature here. Multiboot does not mean the process of having multiple games in one file and using the startup menu to choose which one to play, although Goomba Color does do that. Point is, don't let the documentation confuse you on the meaning of that word.AH! Ok.. that makes a LOT more sense than how the readme explained it.

QUOTE(DanTheManMS @ Jan 24 2011, 02:33 AM) Also if you really really want to give it a shot, Dwedit did make a preliminary port of Goomba Color to the DS but it's not really all that usable. Latest download is at http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...sc&start=30
But isn't that a game+emu already bundled?
I think I found that a while back and it didn't really work.

OH WOW! Scratch that.
It's got a browser so no need to bundle with games.
Also, it does SGB border + GBC colors. Only problems are it uses the bottom screen (no big deal) and the top is on and white (kind of annoying).

Xastabus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have anything more to add, except to appologize for my apparent lack of understanding. My brother had an SNES and SGB when they game out. I didn't use them very much, but I never noticed much of a difference between the colors of a GBC game whether it was played on GBC or SGB.

Could someone post screenshots of LoZ:LA DX in GBC color mode and SGB color mode so I can see the difference?

Thanks.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xastabus said:
I don't have anything more to add, except to appologize for my apparent lack of understanding. My brother had an SNES and SGB when they game out. I didn't use them very much, but I never noticed much of a difference between the colors of a GBC game whether it was played on GBC or SGB.

Could someone post screenshots of LoZ:LA DX in GBC color mode and SGB color mode so I can see the difference?

Thanks.
SGBvGBC.png

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
DanTheManMS said:
Also in the world of GBA, "multiboot" means sending something to another GBA via a link cable when the receiving GBA held Start+Select at boot. This only works for files less than 256 KB in size (the size of the GBA's RAM) and since no GB/GBC games are that small, you'll never be able to use the feature here. Multiboot does not mean the process of having multiple games in one file and using the startup menu to choose which one to play, although Goomba Color does do that. Point is, don't let the documentation confuse you on the meaning of that word.AH! Ok.. that makes a LOT more sense than how the readme explained it.

DanTheManMS said:
Also if you really really want to give it a shot, Dwedit did make a preliminary port of Goomba Color to the DS but it's not really all that usable. Latest download is at http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...sc&start=30But isn't that a game+emu already bundled?

OH WOW! Scratch that.
Also, it does SGB border + GBC colors. Only problems are it uses the bottom screen (no big deal) and the top is on and white (kind of annoying).
The only Goomba DS beta I found (http://filetrip.net/f1755-Goomba-Color-DS-1-16-2008.html) had no browser and was pre-bundled with generic demo ROM. I'll give this a try though. I actually prefer to use the bottom screen for emulation.

QUOTE(Xastabus @ Jan 24 2011, 09:51 AM)

Thanks.
I would but I am running late and need to get to an appointment. When played on the SGB, the game is in green-scale (different tones and shades of green). Or twiztidsinz can upload a screenshot......

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
twiztidsinz said:
DanTheManMS said:
Also if you really really want to give it a shot, Dwedit did make a preliminary port of Goomba Color to the DS but it's not really all that usable. Latest download is at http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/view...sc&start=30
But isn't that a game+emu already bundled?

OH WOW! Scratch that.
The only Goomba DS beta I found (http://filetrip.net/f1755-Goomba-Color-DS-1-16-2008.html) had no browser and was pre-bundled with generic demo ROM. I'll give this a try though. I actually prefer to use the bottom screen for emulation.

Right, that was the very first release. Dwedit made two more alpha releases after that, and the latest one is on the page I linked to. He did not want it redistributed, which is probably why it's not on FileTrip, but I don't think linking to his own post would be too bad. Just be warned that it's not a finished product, and while it will read in *.sav files fine, it will not save your progress. Also the sound is scratchy.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll keep that in mind. Works well (had the sound muted as I was in out in public). Sucks that it doesn't save. Looks like I'll stick with LameBoy for now. Wish I had enough programming experience to work on DS homebrew. Maybe I could get saving to work.

Xastabus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:

Wow, my memory sucks. I could have sworn SGB displayed GBC colors instead of GB colors. Wikipedia confirms it though, SGB doesn't read the color information in GBC. That's like how my wife remembers Young Frankenstein as being in color.

Oops.
rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, Game Cube's Game Boy Player did display GBC games correctly. I believe it also displayed boarders, but I'm not absolutely certain. ("...Super Game Boy enhancements are ignored")http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_boy_player

Not that any of that helps answer the OP's question. Sorry about my confusion.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Xastabus said:
Wow, my memory sucks. I could have sworn SGB displayed GBC colors instead of GB colors. Wikipedia confirms it though, SGB doesn't read the color information in GBC.
I know what that's like...
Even though I knew that SGB didn't have GBC colors, I thought it did have more color than the standard Gameboy... I went through like 8 emulators because I thought the green was from GB mode.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering why no one has implemented the GBC bios that was dumped with a GB emulator so we could have all the color palates.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Multiskin said:
if i remember there is a ds emulator pack (that has with it all emulators + dszoomer) that has a emulator that suports gba skins, if i get it i'll post it in filetrip (maybe 60mb or something like that)
this thread is about Game Boy Color emulators for GBA and DS that support Super Game Boy borders. No$GBA and skins don't have nothing with the topic.

QUOTE(Fireballo @ Jan 25 2011, 06:53 PM) I'm wondering why no one has implemented the GBC bios that was dumped with a GB emulator so we could have all the color palates.
That's because it's illegal. Emulator developers usually don't provide the BIOS, you have to dump it from your own console. Unless someone include it at a ROM site.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Xastabus said:
Wow, my memory sucks. I could have sworn SGB displayed GBC colors instead of GB colors. Wikipedia confirms it though, SGB doesn't read the color information in GBC.I know what that's like...
Even though I knew that SGB didn't have GBC colors, I thought it did have more color than the standard Gameboy... I went through like 8 emulators because I thought the green was from GB mode.

It has plenty of palette options, but each option is only 4 distinct colors. Games could also come with a built-in palette of 4 colors specifically for the SGB if they wanted.

QUOTE(Fireballo @ Jan 25 2011, 03:53 PM)
I'm wondering why no one has implemented the GBC bios that was dumped with a GB emulator so we could have all the color palates.
I haven't been paying too much attention to it, but it looks like Kuwanger's fork of Goomba might have support for the default GBC color palettes, as there's been a lot of activity in that forum lately. See the top few topics of http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/viewforum.php?f=29 to investigate.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Fireballo said:
I haven't been paying too much attention to it, but it looks like Kuwanger's fork of Goomba might have support for the default GBC color palettes, as there's been a lot of activity in that forum lately. See the top few topics of http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/viewforum.php?f=29 to investigate.
This is the fork for GBA though right?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I'm out of luck. Need it for DS. Oh well, looks like I'm sticking with LameBoy. I doubt anyone will add this feature as its just for ascetics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol