Status
Not open for further replies.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dad always takes the easy path whenever we ride.
Though I take the beaten path,
Where it's always bumpy and filled with holes.

Though, at the end of the day
I feel proud.
Proud that I took that path.

Because it shows that no matter how bumpy the road is.
I will always get make ride through it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A shining star
With bright lit eyes
Searing truths
Infinite surprise
Reminders of the past gone by
And hints towards where the
future lies...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update, my Computer's motherboard is shot. Since that particular motherboard isn't made any more, I'm sol. I can't even upgrade the damn thing because of it propriatary nature. So, in short, there will be even less of me on the temp. I can't even get my internet set up sadly.
frown.gif

I guess I'll go ahead and review Dungeon Siege III while I'm at it.

EDIT: Review Link here.
EDIT: Also, OP has been updated. If you want to act as the leader in my absence then send me a PM.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Sterling - I feel your pain. I've had at least two computers basically fry themselves, and it sucks not having one when you get so used to them [especially when you need them].

Anyway, gone on to Chapter 9 of my horror "novel" [I use that term very tentatively]. And, uh, I didn't finish my editing, figured I'd let it go until the whole thing's finished. I was thinking of posting a part of it to see if the horror vibe [and the action] is working, but it's too graphic [methinks], and might get me in trouble. Hm...

PS
I might actually get to finish a short story for the weekly challenge. I suck at short fiction, it always ends up longer than I expected for some reason.

ShinyJellicent12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be posting this Sonic thing I did a while ago. It's called Sonic Love, and it's like a romantic version of the series.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShinyJellicent12321 said:
I'm going to be posting this Sonic thing I did a while ago. It's called Sonic Love, and it's like a romantic version of the series.
Oh God. You may post it, but make sure it's good. I may have to put a limit on fan fics per year lest others do it too. Let it be known that writing about other's characters is wrong. Now if you made up your own character and inserted it into the world of Sonic, then that would be awesome.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KirbyBoy said:
Umm, not to sound rude here but what's wrong with writing about other characters?
I dont think I am passionate about this point as Sterling, but I would prefer people to create their own characters and universe, since it removes all of the connotations and assumptions that we will have about the subject matter. Plus, an important part of writing is to be able to create your own unique characters that have their own motivations. Its more interesting in my opinion as Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles etc already have set characters that dont allow for a development arc.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that, though I don't think it's wrong to write fanfiction once in awhile. I actually see it as maybe a starting point for writing, I've started out writing fanfiction once, the people that reviewed it actually gave me some good advice and told me of my mistakes. Though, it's not like I just use just the characters given, I make my own as well. Ever since then I've been improving, and reading back on it, I noticed all of my problems from grammar mistakes, spelling mistakes and switching from 3rd to 1st person a lot. Comparing that to others I've written, I say I've improved a lot.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think one of the major issues with fan-fics is that people generally have an idea as to how they feel a certain character should/would react in a certain situation. Fan-fics tend to either have well known characters making uncharacteristic decisions or a lot of fluffy/cliche dialogue/action. This makes fan-fic difficult to read for many.

This obviously isn't as much of a problem with original characters...

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mostly, I think because first and foremost, writing is an act of self-expression. What we create is in essence an extension of us. Writing in a preexisting universe, with characters that cannot fully express what we wish them to, in a way holds back our creativity. And holding back on our creativity limits the possibilities of our self-expression.

That's my take on it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true dat

writing should express what you think and how you feel. you'll ultimately get a lot more out of it if you create something new and of you.

ShinyJellicent12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
ShinyJellicent12321 said:
Oh God. You may post it, but make sure it's good. I may have to put a limit on fan fics per year lest others do it too. Let it be known that writing about other's characters is wrong. Now if you made up your own character and inserted it into the world of Sonic, then that would be awesome.
There's like, 5 new characters or something. I don't really enjoy fanfics either, because it's not fun to have the characters and other things laid out for you. I respect everyone's opinions, but this is not a fanfic. I'll get to posting it tomorrow after I correct the millions of typos (I typed sloppy before, and I have to change my descriptive language because sometimes it doesn't make sense).

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the subject of fanfics, you're all right. Like Edgedancer, Old8oy and Shinigami say, the characters of someone else's creation are already defined, and it's wrong to change their character and other core values and decisions. I have nothing against original characters and stories, but fanfics are often un-researched, poorly written works. That being said, I will be allowing it, but I would prefer to see original characters, and universes. If nothing else, make your own story set in an existing universe.

@SJ12321: I'm looking forward to reading it.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understandable. I was just asking is all. I just think fanfics as a way to just start out is all.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
That reminds me, I have a new chapter of one of my FF7 fanfics to upload. Had people bugging me about it for a while so I suppose I should get round to doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: