GBAtemp Writers' Guild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Art Studio' started by Sterling, Jun 8, 2011.

Jun 8, 2011

GBAtemp Writers' Guild by Sterling at 1:14 AM (20,961 Views / 0 Likes) 413 replies

1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    GBAtemp Writers' Guild
    We love to write!

Goals

Here at GBAtemp we cater not only to the needs of Gamers and Nintendo enthusiasts, but to many other forms of entertainment and creative outlets. From breaking news to the latest movie, we pride ourselves to be a robust and kind community. However, lately we have a deficit of competent writers. It is my belief that there is no deficit, but a lack of incentive. The initiative that this project intends to achieve is to produce, and inspire anyone to post their dabbling in the written art that is literature. This can be a specific as a painting of a work with descriptive words, or even a narrative of epic proportions.

-Appropriate Submissions

As a writer, you'll be submitting short stories, essays, poetry, etc. As a reviewer, you'll be reviewing anything you want to.

-Values and Rules
    • Absolutely NO PLAGIARISM!

Here at GBAtemp, Plagiarism is taken seriously, even if it is a small as an impressions review.
    • If you decide to critique a contributor’s work, please don't flame their work. We are here to better each other, not discourage each other.
    • If your work is competently critiqued, it is not your job to call someone a troll. This will be delegated to some members here in the Guild to flag for clean-up.
    • When submitting stories, make sure the language and content follow GBAtemp rules. I know the forum is lax on cursing, but too much is bad for the userbase and is mildly offensive to most.
    • Keep in mind that there are children who come to this forum regularly. I don't need to specify what sort of descriptive content is inappropriate.
    -Writer Application
    • Current User Name, and previous User names. (Or the past 3 - 4)
    • Area of Expertise. (Narratives, Poetry, Lyrics, etc)
    • Which language was your first, and what number is English on that list.
    • How often are you active here at GBAtemp? (Doesn't have any effect on your application, but it's nice to know)
    • How often do you write?
    • Sample of your work. (It has to be either a short story, or a smaller part of an existing work. It can be on GBAtemp, or another website such as deviant art.)
    -Reviewer Application
    • Current User Name, and previous User names. (Or the past 3 - 4)
    • Which language was your first, and what number is English on that list.
    • How often are you active here at GBAtemp? (Doesn't have any effect on your application, but it's nice to know)
    • How often do you write?
    • How many reviews have you done? (Rough estimate)
    • Link to a review by you. It must be uploaded here at GBAtemp in the Review's and Guides section.
    Member List
    ---
    Name Changes

Most importantly, have fun with what you write. Flesh out your own style and never give up!

Another side note, if there are unattended to applications, and I am not around. Please, reviewer or writer, process that application and send me a PM here with the User name and status of said application (Accepted or Declined).
    Activities and Messages
    ---

Since the Guild is so small, there are no current activities. If you are writing at the moment, and wish to post an excerpt, or short story, or review (either in the GBAtemp Reviews and Guides section, or here), please do so and I will add it here for exposure.

2. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    you know what, this could be good for me, since I'm writing in a newspaper soon too.

- Writer Application

personuser on GBATemp, Recorderdude everywhere else.
    Expertise: Lyrics and Comedy/Dark Comedy
    First language is English, that's #1. Also learning Spanish.
    I'm quite active.
    I write lyrics constantly, and humorious stories now and again.
    Sample of your work:

Two stories:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

My lyrics/Songs can be found on YouTube and sometimes dA/newgrounds under the name "recorderdude".

(oh, and some info mainly about the second story from the other thread:)

3. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    The Writer App:

Sheaperd121/Duskye/KirbyBoy.
    Short and Long Stories. Sometimes serious or funny.
    English, maybe learning Spanish.
    I'm pretty active, I visit this site everyday.
    It really depends on the mood. I sometimes write alot, but then sometimes not.
    Sample: One is a fanfic and the other is a original story. Just tidbits though.

EDIT: Added one more fanfic tidbit.

4. Sterling
    OP

United States
    @ Personuser: I love the types of stories you have posted so far. I never guessed who the characters you posted were until the very end. Great Job, and welcome to the Guild. [​IMG]

@ KirbyBoy: I always like your style, and the second story is a very good start. Keep it up, and welcome to the Guild. [​IMG]

5. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I'm not too sure if I'm a writer or reviewer. (I'm sorta both)

Writer Application:

KingdomBlade.
    Short Sketching, Aphorisms, some Poetry.
    English and my native language, and I consider English to be number 1 along with my native.
    Nearly everyday.
    Every so often.
    Here are a few links to my shorts: http://gbatemp.net/t283965-short-story and http://gbatemp.net/t292719-story-minutes-to-midnight
    And some aphorisms: http://gbatemp.net/t285525-aphorisms

Reviewer Application:

KingdomBlade.
    English and my native language, and I consider English to be number 1 along with my native.
    Nearly everyday.
    Every so often.
    If you mean all reviews (games, systems and maybe movies), it would be around 10.
    HM: SI : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=194220
    An indie game: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=289739
    And (although it's not necessary) a movie review: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=282448
    Here's a link to most of the reviews I've already written: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/KingdomBlade#Reviews

6. Sterling
    OP

United States
    @KingdomBlade: You can be both! In fact I actually recommend that anyone who has successfully reviewed things, also become a writer as well. Same for writers who have not yet hone reviewing skills. You do great reviews, and your short stories are also fascinating. Might I suggest that in your next review, look a bit deeper into the core gameplay, especially if the game is a sequel. Keep a reviewer's score as well. Many people who enjoy the same type of game multiple times will pay more attention if you also give a score based upon how much you enjoyed a particular game. You're doing great reviews and writing fascinating short stories. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the Guild. [​IMG]

7. Recorderdude

Member Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

United States
    Once I've done my review for Dissidia: Final Fantasy Duodecim for my local paper, I'll show it to you and become a reviewer then, I guess. I'll have to PM you a link to it though because the stories are printed ONLY on their site (and they made that quite clear) and linking to it here could very well be considered advertising. Note, though, that my newspaper reviews will be geared more towards an average reader than an avid gamer like the majority of us here at temp, as that's what I have to do for the reviewing.

8. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Nice. Alright here we go.

Writer Application

Current/Previous Usernames: Shinigami357
    Area of expertise: I pretty much write anything, really. Stories take a bulk of my time, though.
    Language: I learned Filipino first, but I consider English my best language.
    Level of Activity: I'm here mostly everyday
    How I write: As often as is humanly possible [i.e. when my head's clear]

Sample:

This is Chapter 1 of my currently-in-hiatus horror story. Hopefully the formatting gets through... [scratch that, I'll format it on BB-code instead]

That's it. I considered adding chapter 2, but it's too long [and the formatting will take me an hour] and it's a bit too OTT...

9. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Writer Application:

Raika
    Stories (mostly dark themed)
    English
    Online everyday
    Rarely, depends on my mood

Sample (randomly came up with this one when I was replying to this thread, so it isn't exactly great):

THIS IS A COUPLET POEM I WROTE:

10. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    1. Domination... I think.
    2. Eh I think picking one area of expertise will just stifle my creativity, I'm leaving my options open you know, so I can be "Dommy the poet" one day and "Dommy the second JK Rowling" some other day.
    3. Mandarin I guess. English second? I only know 2 languages. But both of them got A2's in my GSCE O Levels so I think they are of the same standard. And yeah because I learn English English, so I have u's in my "colors".
    4. Depends on my mood, us artistic and creative people are moody you know. Normally everyday, but I just AFK though and chat with friends on the shoutbox sometimes, so I'm not sure it counts.
    5. Write what? I'm still attending school, so yeah, almost everyday of the week?

Some serious children's fantasy/adventure.

11. Sterling
    OP

United States
    @Shinigami357: Quite a beginning for ch. 1. Perhaps a small paragraph to set the scene would be good. The main thing was that it was greatly interesting. I could not pull my eyes from the text. Hope you finish the novel, and welcome to the Guild!

@Raika: For someone who wrote in a hurry, you have a very good premise and base for a nice story. I'm kinda interested in what he took, or prevented someone from getting. I hope you continue to create great impromptu stories and hilarious couple poems (I love boobies myself). Welcome to the Guild Raika!.

@Domination: Odd, for some reason the story reminds me of Alice and Wonderland. Possibly because of the mystery behind a few of the characters you've already introduced. Keep up the good work, and I would be disappointed if you didn't write more. Welcome to the Guild Dommy!

12. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Sorry for the double post, but the OP has been updated with some info that the GBAtemp Writers' Guild and other members of the forum may have interest in.

13. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Well here is my application. Fingers crossed I get accepted.

Current User Name: Edgedancer
    Area of Expertise: Short Narratives, Poetry and Screenplays
    Which language was your first: English is my primary language
    How often are you active here at GBAtemp? Every single day. Usually not active (ie posting) but I do browse a lot.
    How often do you write? I am not writing too much at the moment. That said, I am always mulling ideas around in my head and thinking of stuff.
    Sample of your work: Well you already have 2 stories by me, but here is another short one.

Hiding in the shadows
    (Another older story by me. I will start posting some of my new stuff later on)

14. Sterling
    OP

United States
    @Edgedancer: You didn't have to cross your fingers man. You've already blown me away several times with your work. So, uncross your fingers and step into the Guild.

15. Edgedancer

Australia
    Thanks for that. I hope I will become a productive member of this little group (as of now). Writing is such a great outlet for talking about your issues or giving a point, or at least thats how I use it. If you need help with coming up with ideas for tasks to stimulate the guild (if thats what you are looking for), I have quite a few tasks and activities that I have done in my study that probably could be applicable.

For anyone that wants some help with revisions or editing, give me a hit up, as thats probably the best way I can help out in regards to this guild.

16. Sterling
    OP

United States
    I'll take you up on that offer later, but for now, we'll stick with small challenges on a weekly basis (current one is a wiki project).

When the guild gets a little bigger, I was thinking about Guild maintained stories. Like a horror story written by several members. It might be an interesting collaboration, or a disaster if the writing styles don't mix well enough. (Obviously not limited to the horror genre by the way)

Also, I was thinking a couple story contests every now and then. With prizes like Flash carts, or small gifts from DX. It's a work in progress, but I have a feeling this Guild will be big in no time. [​IMG]

17. Edgedancer

Australia
    @Sterling
    Fair enough. I wasnt expecting anything to happen for the next little while anyway. Your ideas sound good for the type of group we will probably be. If you ever need any help with anything guild related, just send me a PM

18. Zaertix

Member Zaertix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a good story. I think you all know how it goes. I'll work on writing it out without the swearing [​IMG]

19. Sterling
    OP

United States
    As long as the swearing isn't every other word, you should be fine. However, if they aren't "tasteful" curse words, it's for the better. Can't wait to read it. [​IMG]

20. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Here is a short story I just wrote. You guys may enjoy it.