GBAtemp Text Adventure

Which format would you prefer

• Full on text adventure, like Zork or colossal cave adventure (longer development time)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Choose your own adventure style game with some lite RPG elements and random events

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Ewww text adventure ?! This is 2020.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I mentioned the other day on my profile status, that I was thinking about making a GBAtemp text adventure as a few of my projects have come to a close or have been put on the back burner at least for a little while. After all GBAtemp really does go a long way to keeping me sane, I thought I would give something back.

So I'm throwing open the doors at this early stage of development to see what you would like see, any sort of suggestions that you have, hell even if you would like to appear in it ( cannot promise that if you ask to be in it you will be in it but it all depends on demand )

So far I have a good idea about the path the story will take, the main problem is what format it will take we have 2 choices.

We can go for a full on text adventure like Zork, this is the long route and will take the longest time in development

OR

We can do more of a choose your own adventure type of game but with random events and lite RPG elements

The story of both will be broadly the same just the way things unfold will change.

The idea is you will explore and area bumping in to familiar faces and trying to figure out how you got there and how to escape

This thread really is to gage interest and really just to see if this is the sort of thing that the members of 'temp would like to play

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Definitely the second one.

My sisters had told me to do a game kind of like this, but with a dating tematic and I'm interested in that idea.
It'd be nice if you could make a game with different endings depending on the route choosen by the player. The route, per se is given by the choices made by the player itself.

I think it'd be boring if every player has the same ending, that's why the second idea seems more versatile and interesting.

D

Deleted User

So I mentioned the other day on my profile status, that I was thinking about making a GBAtemp text adventure as a few of my projects have come to a close or have been put on the back burner at least for a little while. After all GBAtemp really does go a long way to keeping me sane, I thought I would give something back.

So I'm throwing open the doors at this early stage of development to see what you would like see, any sort of suggestions that you have, hell even if you would like to appear in it ( cannot promise that if you ask to be in it you will be in it but it all depends on demand )

So far I have a good idea about the path the story will take, the main problem is what format it will take we have 2 choices.

We can go for a full on text adventure like Zork, this is the long route and will take the longest time in development

OR

We can do more of a choose your own adventure type of game but with random events and lite RPG elements

The story of both will be broadly the same just the way things unfold will change.

The idea is you will explore and area bumping in to familiar faces and trying to figure out how you got there and how to escape

This thread really is to gage interest and really just to see if this is the sort of thing that the members of 'temp would like to play

AWESOME! ^.^

what language are you programming it in ?

Reactions: Alexander1970

WarioWaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote for full text adventure.

Uiaad if you go for full text adventure you should use Inform. It makes it 1 billion times easier to make text adventures compared to other programming languages.
At first that engine looked real interesting but needing to write full sentences to get the code to do stuff sounds like a time suck programming nightmare. Sometimes it's better to just learn the skill rather than the skill being intuitive and easily accessible. I shudder at writing a huge project with natural sentences.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"you are now in the political area. People are bantering about the news but cite very different sources. Things seem to be heated."
> give opinion about Donald Trump
"the room explodes. Also : you gain seven likes."

Heh... How is GBATemp not already a full text adventure? :creep:

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
"you are now in the political area. People are bantering about the news but cite very different sources. Things seem to be heated."
> give opinion about Donald Trump
"the room explodes. Also : you gain seven likes."

Heh... How is GBATemp not already a full text adventure? :creep:

You are in your Bedroom and sleep peaceful next to your Wife.
All is calm.....suddenly........a Cry from the Child´s Room......

Next>
1 - Turn around and go back to sleep
2 - Wake your wife and tell her to have a look
3 - Stand up and have a look for yourself

>3

You leave your Bed and head to the Bed Rooms Door.
Unfortunately,you forgot that you built Paris out of Lego with your Child. You stumble across the Eiffel Tower, fall down the stairs of the Arc de Triomphe and die .....

:D

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You leave your Bed and head to the Bed Rooms Door.
Unfortunately,you forgot that you built Paris out of Lego with your Child. You stumble across the Eiffel Tower, fall down the stairs of the Arc de Triomphe and die .....

:D
Sounds like classic adventure game fairness alright. :wink:

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You are in your Bedroom and sleep peaceful next to your Wife.
All is calm.....suddenly........a Cry from the Child´s Room......

Next:
1 - Turn around and go back to sleep
3 - Stand up and have a look for yourself

Me an Intellectual
>1 - Turn around and go back to sleep
3 - Stand up and have a look for yourself[

Game:
What the fuck dude? You gonna sleep for the rest of your life?

giphy.gif

Last edited by JuanMena,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Definitely <Choose your own adventure style game with some lite RPG elements and random events>

My sisters had told me to do a game kind of like this, but with a dating tematic and I'm interested in that idea.
Dating thematic? Erm...did your sisters told you this when the idea of a gbatemp game was brought up, or was that before? :unsure:

Because...I'm not really sure how high it would score on the awkward scale, but I would suspect...a lot.

Okay, okay: I would suspect it'd be something like this:
Game: You are currently in the chatroom. It is a nice, relaxing atmosphere where people are sitting around talking or hanging around. Some are attempting to hack consoles or video systems. Many are playing video games. In fact, the walls largely consist of huge monitors portraying these video games. How do you proceed?
1. attempt to flatter Costello
2. [+3 charisma level] attempt to charm Chary
3. buy Tempy a beer
4. grab a controller and play a game
5. leave
...I'll leave myself out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all