Misc GBAtemp Pokemon Tournament

hksmrchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wabba is imba because of it's ludachris HP stat.

Wabba is imba because it has that move that returns double the attack the enemy pokemon damages you for.

Wabba is imba because it also has that same move but in SP attack version.

Wabba is imba because its like punching a wall.

Mukubird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Wobba is imba because of Shadow Tag.

As for the evasion ban, look at all the amount of Pokémon that can learn Haze, then compare it to the amount of Pokémon that can learn Double Team. Considering there aren't a lot of good haze users, and a whole bunch of Pokémon that can abuse Double Team, it's not hard to see how Double Team (and Minimize) centralize the metagame, and thus need to be banned.

For the no items thing, he means that Bag items can't be used on Wi-Fi; hold items still work.

eroki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I think I'd be able to make it at that time and date, I'll ask my brother if he can too.
If we're gonna do this, when and where are we going to exchange friend codes? I would prefer to have a tournament where there's only one battle going on at a time and the winner moves on to the next battle. then the losers of the battles face each other while the winner of the second battle battles the 3rd match's opponent. probably hard to understand my idea but i'll explain more in detail if you like it, that is, unless you already planned this out. My idea would probably take longer so I'd suggest starting an hour or so before, depending on the availability of the participants due to their timezones. or we could split the whole thing into two days.
please tell me what you all think
eroki

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, evs are allowed. I'll be PMing all people who said they were interested last time, so we may have a big tournament ahead of us
biggrin.gif

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mukubird said:

As for the evasion ban, look at all the amount of Pokémon that can learn Haze, then compare it to the amount of Pokémon that can learn Double Team. Considering there aren't a lot of good haze users, and a whole bunch of Pokémon that can abuse Double Team, it's not hard to see how Double Team (and Minimize) centralize the metagame, and thus need to be banned.

For the no items thing, he means that Bag items can't be used on Wi-Fi; hold items still work.

Ah, point taken...(the shadow tag is when wabbafet dies, his foe aswell correct?) Also, the mirror coat or counter attack has a 50% chance of actually succeeding so...yea, it's still a gamble if you call the wrong move =P As for the double team being a meta...I think it would require some thinking and skill to build a counter to the meta...like make your build to prepare for someone who will attempt to mass increase evasion, no? Or if someone is going to shadow tag...get a pokemon with disable? ^^ You can make use of any move....but ehh, if it is an officially ban from real tournaments, then I am not complaining. I just preferred that no one banned certain strategies b/c they couldn't work around the circumstance they weren't prepared for...
Thanks for the reply,
Kevin
moogle.gif

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kevenka said:
Mukubird said:

Ah, point taken...(the shadow tag is when wabbafet dies, his foe aswell correct?) Also, the mirror coat or counter attack has a 50% chance of actually succeeding so...yea, it's still a gamble if you call the wrong move =P As for the double team being a meta...I think it would require some thinking and skill to build a counter to the meta...like make your build to prepare for someone who will attempt to mass increase evasion, no? Or if someone is going to shadow tag...get a pokemon with disable? ^^ You can make use of any move....but ehh, if it is an officially ban from real tournaments, then I am not complaining. I just preferred that no one banned certain strategies b/c they couldn't work around the circumstance they weren't prepared for...
Thanks for the reply,
Kevin
moogle.gif

Shadow tag's effect is much worse actually, it prevents wob's opponent from switching (which is the best move in the game). If a skilled player uses wob, he will almost always be sure of whether to use counter or mirror coat, as most pokemon only use physical or special attcks on a moveset, mixed attackers are not extremely common, and the really good mixed attackers are well known. I'm not sure if that was what you were reffering to with the 50 %, but if that's still too much of a gamble, then wob can use encore to ensure that he knows which move his opponent will use.

Double team encourages players to rely totally on luck, which eliminates skill from the game. Double team and evasion moves also make baton passing teams nearly impossible to stop, as haze can still miss if you used double team.

Also shadow tag isn't a move, it's wob's ability.

Hope that helped.

eroki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I'll be glad to tabulate the participants and take care of the score board if you'd like. if some won't be able to make it that early i could schedule him or her for the later part of the tournament and vice versa, i would need a complete list of participants, their presumed skill level and the times they're available in on that day. Hope you don't mind me trying to assume control over the management and please tell me if you'd like to do it yourself.
eroki

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eroki said:
I'll be glad to tabulate the participants and take care of the score board if you'd like. if some won't be able to make it that early i could schedule him or her for the later part of the tournament and vice versa, i would need a complete list of participants, their presumed skill level and the times they're available in on that day. Hope you don't mind me trying to assume control over the management and please tell me if you'd like to do it yourself.
eroki

Thanks, that sounds awesome. However I don't have any confirmations from any people who posted to confirm entry prior to my post regarding the new date. I don't have any data regarding skill level though, but I doubt you'd need that since we're going for a really laid back environment for this tourney, so it doesn't have to be super organised or anything. Time should be a good enough criteria, but if you believe otherwise, you're welcome to do as you will.

If you want any randomization, I could write a script to randomize any lists and output pairings, just say if you want me to do it.

Also regarding friend codes, we should start swapping them so that it's not a big rush once the time comes. So everyone who wants to enter, can you please post your fc in a new post ie. don't edit it into any previous posts, it makes it easier to find.

Zamo's D/P FC: 1290 2276 5458

Thanks.

eroki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi, ok I'll take care of the list, we could use a randomization script if you'd like to make one.
I would have preferred knowing what sort of skill the player has because being beaten by a very strong team when your team isn't EV trained can be very upsetting if it's you first round ( believe me, I had to learn the hard way). I'll try get my FC up asap.
eroki

mewcuss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I comfirmed through PM

If there's not enough people up for the tournament I don't mind competing in a mini-league.
I've never battled against anyone on D/P and I'm really looking forward to the event.

EDIT: Pokemon D/P friend code: 0001 - 8323 - 1216

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As I said in reply to mew-cuss' pm, the tournament can happen over the course of a few days, ie both players play when they have time, and just post the resualts in this thread so that the tables can be updated.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zamo said:
kevenka said:
Mukubird said:

Thanks for the reply,
Kevin
moogle.gif

Shadow tag's effect is much worse actually, it prevents wob's opponent from switching (which is the best move in the game). If a skilled player uses wob, he will almost always be sure of whether to use counter or mirror coat, as most pokemon only use physical or special attcks on a moveset, mixed attackers are not extremely common, and the really good mixed attackers are well known. I'm not sure if that was what you were reffering to with the 50 %, but if that's still too much of a gamble, then wob can use encore to ensure that he knows which move his opponent will use.

Double team encourages players to rely totally on luck, which eliminates skill from the game. Double team and evasion moves also make baton passing teams nearly impossible to stop, as haze can still miss if you used double team.

Also shadow tag isn't a move, it's wob's ability.

Hope that helped.

It indeed helped!
yaynds.gif
I won't be entering but I'll keep an eye on who wins ^^

Zamo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's a list of people (confirmend) entering the tournament and their FCs:
Zamo - 1290 2276 5458
eroki - 5370 2190 0545
Keith (eroki's brother) - 2793 5742 6252
Shadz - 2277 3869 7739
Heeroo
Centrimetro
mew-cuss - 0001 8323 1216
DJPlace - 4940 8006 9605 (Got it from mew-cuss)

That's 8 people, which is a great number (a power of 2) for a tournament. Could everyone else please post their fcs.
I also set up the IRC channel, it's #gbatemp-pt . Or just join the gbatemp network and /join #gbatemp-pt .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)