GBAtemp Official Qoobchip Review

privateers69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if it doesnt support mini DVD's then how do i burn them so it can play them. And it says on the site that you dont need soldering. but you say yes, so whats what?

they stated
QUOTEEasy Installation, only 6 wires (no soldering on qoob chip required, special cable included)

the cable plugs into that board but at the other end of the cable you will have to solder to the GC boards (6 wires) both the Pro and SX versions.
pictures of possible soldering areas

To view more goto here for other pics on soldering and dissambling the GC.
Manuals

Lazarus

Trophies
Website
mutantklit.dk
XP
Country
after reading through some guides n'all i just want to buy buy buy! at modthatcube i also found out that the mp3 player of the qoob chip isn't all that impressive - anyone know of any homebrew mp3 players for the cube?

for the european audience, uk especially, i found this offer that may interest you:
http://www.extreme-mods.com/extreme-gamecube-combo-1-p.html

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
djgarf is right, the sx reads mini dvds too...I don't know why it should not read them if it reads the original and the standard size.
And to who mentioned that, yes you could put more than one game on a mini/standard dvd-r. Infact everyone thinks that GC discs are small. They're wrong. Many games don't even use the whole 1.35GB space, and it's funny to see that on other formats they are 2GB or more! And without loss of quality or features...maybe it's something like better compression of data I don't know. Anyway I have many discs with 2 or 3 games on them and they work great, just like a gba flashcard=P

PS: just a funny note: the smallest GC game is Animal Crossing...only about 35MB! It was an N64 game infact^^

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Infact everyone thinks that GC discs are small. They're wrong. Many games don't even use the whole 1.35GB space, and it's funny to see that on other formats they are 2GB or more! And without loss of quality or features...maybe it's something like better compression of data I don't know.

some games dont look nowhere near as good on the gamecube as they do on the xbox
i really noticed how bad the cut scenes looked in the incredibles game on the gamecube when compared to the xbox version

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
After going through and comparing, I actually believe the Viper GC is still better than the Qoob. The Viper only lacks one thing, which is a small memory bank size - which means if you use cheats for a game you may get slowdown.
One question, can the Viper use the Qoob BIOS?

Chiaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Chiaki:
1) I heard the Qoob doesn't let you copy games that way.
2) The SX does not support mini-DVD-Rs.

bryehn:
Simply rename the .gcm to .iso

1) I didn't say that I use the qoob's features to use the cube as a "drive", I'm using the BBA to hijack the cube with a program called gamecube iso ripping server and then I make an image with it.

See: Modthatcube

2) Guys in #cubeisoz said that ALL modchips (including qoob SX) are able to read mini-dvd-r's

P.S.: Wow it's even possible to do that via qoob Bios! Didn't know that. Makes things much easier.

P.P.S.: You need to refresh your knowledge about the qoob Chip Jumpman
rolleyes.gif

ronin_in_tears

.:|pr0n$t4r|:.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Got my Max Drive Pro today. And i gotta say it works great for being a softmod solution.

Sure you'll need to swap ones to play backups, but what the heck, it's just £30.

And that includes a huge @$$ memory card to fill with hacks/progs/homebrews or saves.

Untouchable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infact everyone thinks that GC discs are small. They're wrong. Many games don't even use the whole 1.35GB space, and it's funny to see that on other formats they are 2GB or more! And without loss of quality or features...maybe it's something like better compression of data I don't know.

some games dont look nowhere near as good on the gamecube as they do on the xbox
i really noticed how bad the cut scenes looked in the incredibles game on the gamecube when compared to the xbox version

Take the NFS Underground on the Cube and the Box. They look identical, but the Cube's version is easier to control, to me.

madden 05 on both systems is the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.