GBAtemp now allows foreign language Groups

After long discussions and debate within the staff we are pleased to announce that we have decided to accept foreign language Groups.

langs.jpg

What does this mean?
  • Groups can be made for foreign language speakers.
    Discussions inside Groups will be permitted to be carried out in a language other than English. Unlike the main GBAtemp forums which will remain English only. However, you will not be able to forbid someone from replying in English (nor report them for doing so), but discussion in the native language can be encouraged.

• Will Groups for foreign language speakers have to be limited to certain topics?
    No, you are welcome to create a Group for any topic you wish!

• Do I need to do anything special when creating a non-English language Group?
    Group Name: The Group name can either be in the Groups intended language or English. Either is fine. You may also wish to put the language in the Group name (or perhaps a flag 🇨🇳) but this isn't required.
    Group Category: Please ensure you select the 'Non-English Groups' category when creating a Group.

• How will GBAtemp (a primarily English speaking site) moderate non-English Groups?
    Group Owners will be responsible for ensuring that the existing GBAtemp terms, conditions and rules are observed and followed so it is important that you only create, own and/or moderate a Group in a language that you are fluent in.

:arrow: GBAtemp Forum Rules & Guidelines

If a Group is in violation of any of these terms then it may be removed without prior notice and depending on the severity of the offence, the Group owner may be warned/suspended/banned etc.

Groups will also be closely moderated by existing GBAtemp staff who may speak the language naively or by use of a variety of translation tools.

GBAtemp members will also be able to use the standard Report function to alert staff of any inappropriate posts or content, providing they have access to the Group (if private).

• Are there any caveats/limitations to non-English Groups?
    Non-English Groups can only be made for well recognised languages - that means no klingon, pig-latin etc.. Groups ignoring this may be removed.
    Also, as mentioned above, you cannot forbid people to reply in English for any reason.

• I only speak English; can I choose to hide non-English Groups across GBAtemp?
    At this time you cannot, however we are reviewing this idea.
Please note that the GBAtemp staff will be reviewing this idea going forward. If for any reason allowing non-English Groups becomes too difficult for staff to maintain, we may reconsider the facility of the feature but will let people know in advance.

Thanks for reading and happy "Grouping"! :)

Last edited by shaunj66,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I dont really like this tbh... This will only scatter useful information further...provided help is only useful in this specific language, meaning that helpful posts might not be found yadda yada yada...
I hope this does not split the community (even further)
Wont use my mother language here anyways.
I understand your concerns but please note:
- groups are meant to be specific, and shouldn’t be redundant with existing forums
- posting content in a foreign language on a site that is 99.999% english right now means you will get little exposure, if you truly want to share something with the community it will still be in english most likely
- consider this measure not as an encouragement to post threads in a foreign language, but merely as removing a restriction.

So, question. If it's not already available and I somehow overlooked it, will there be a way to migrate threads from the forums into groups, or somehow have them synced together? That would be a welcome feature, as I have made several threads relating to my project before this group feature, and I would like to have the content of those threads in my group.

I'm not sure if that's even possible, but if not, then what are my remaining options? I thought I'd ask here since I'm not sure where else to post this.
how many threads are we talking about? moderators can move them for you

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many threads are we talking about? moderators can move them for you
Well, for these two -
...I already have new threads replacing them, however I've had several threads in regards to Rock Band before. I suggest moving these into the main group, and I'll sort them into subforums myself.
Most of these will be archived for historical purposes, but some are still unanswered and haven't got good responses since I joined GBAtemp almost three years ago. In any case, having them moved, even if one-by-one, would be great.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Can i use my own language at EoF?

i will use native indonesia language, so i can fool the admin here, bacause indonesia have more than 100 native language

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol