Rock Band Customs (Wii/vWii)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HarvHouHacker, Jul 9, 2019.

1. HarvHouHacker
    OP

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Right here on good ol' planet Earth!
    This thread is about my GitLab repo "Rock Band Customs -- Wii and vWii". You may comment in this thread to:
    • Ask about customs for the Wii versions of Rock Band 2, Rock Band 3, and The Beatles: Rock Band. I do not have Green Day: Rock Band, and never intend on getting it, but I can still offer some assistance.
    • Ask questions about my GitLab repository, wiki, or anything having to do with it.
    • Link to a related thread where you may have questions on Rock Band for Wii.
    • Post accolades! :yay: :hrth: :toot: :grog:

Links

Updates

GitLab repository updates will be marked with a bold red header. This includes new branches, new files, changes to existing files, or removal of files. When you see that it's been updated, use git pull on your clone of the repo to add the changes. If you're not using Git, download the new/updated branches and extract to your project folder, letting it overwrite duplicate files.

New and updated GitLab Wiki pages, GitLab Snippets, and other announcements will have a normal-colored bold header, which appears black in the Default GBA theme and white in the Dark/Black themes. These do not require cloning the repo or downloading ZIPs, but are important as they offer new information either never known before, lost in time (i.e. RawkSD), or mentioned on other websites and has been copied/enhanced in RBC.

Please note: The repo has software which can give you access to copyrighted material. Please do NOT share such material; also read all of my piracy warnings in the master branch README before attempting to hack Rock Band titles. Also, please refrain from discussing such software here; if you have a problem with it, open an issue instead.

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Sep 1, 2019
    NoNAND likes this.
  2. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Mainly, the one software suite that shouldn't be discussed here is Arktools. Everything else is fine, even talk about stuff on the Rock Band discs, so long as you're not requesting it or distributing it. Also, I read the Terms of Service thoroughly, to make sure this doesn't violate the rules.

If you want to see older changes, please browse comments in the first 4 pages of the Rock Band 3 Tutorial linked above. You're also welcome to view my GitLab commit history (as embarrassing as it might be! :P ).

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Jul 9, 2019 - Reason: Added history line.
    NoNAND likes this.
  3. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Wiki Updated
    A new page has been added! This page covers a handful of sites (including this one) where you can learn more about adding customs to Rock Band.

At least one of these sites allows you to download copyrighted material if you create an account. Please make sure to read all warnings on piracy before downloading. Because of the potential of legal problems, that site CAN NOT be linked to or discussed here. Fortunately, it's the only site thus so far that has content which could be used for warez; I wouldn't have linked it except that it was very helpful on hacking RB and adding customs.

NoNAND likes this.
  4. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello. :)

This is getting "easier and easier" to do thanks to the work of you.
    I have REALLY time in the late August 2019 and I am looking forward to it to finally do your Rockband-self-creating-tutorial(s).:yay:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME (testing and testing....:wacko: ) AND THIS GREAT TUTORIALS !

:grog:

HarvHouHacker likes this.
  5. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Wiki Updated (New Pages!)
    Bink files are good again! While I still haven't figured out how to break the Bink encryption on RB2-type discs, StackOverflow's RockBiink converts multiple tracks into a unencrypted "songname.bik" file which can be used for Rock Band customs in place of MOGGs! This fixes the out-of-sync problem of when you pause/resume a song during game play, or try to practice a segment and realize that you're hearing the second chorus even though you're only trying to practice the first. Great work, StackO!

Some other notable edits:
    • "Additional Guides" has now become "Creating Your Own Customs"! As a result, the pages in that category have been renamed (again!), and two new guides on making MOGG and BIK files have been added!
    • Due to some changes in page names and their categories, some links had to be redirected. If any links in the wiki are broken, let me know.

Last edited by HarvHouHacker, Jul 31, 2019
    NoNAND and alexander1970 like this.
  6. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    So, I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to make MILO files for Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3 (and probably Green Day and The Beatles use them too) for the files that come from the first Rock Band and all Track Packs. Some are included in RBHP, but not all.

Here's the situation I'm in:
    • Using Magma would be easiest if it weren't for the MIDIs. The MIDI files in RB1 and Track Packs are not RBN2 compatible, but even cleaning them, Magma claims they're still invalid. I try to edit them via Reaper, but I don't see the errors it complains about.
    • Someone on Rock Band ScoreHero suggested using zlib, but I have no idea how to use that in Windows.
    • Simply editing them in MiloMod does NOT change the vocal track in the MILO. This only changes the character actions and optionally adds the VENUE. I added a MILO from "Surfer Girl" to "Back In Black (Live)", and my guy mouthed "Do you love me? Do you surfer girl?" to "Back in black! Yeah, I'm back in black!" :P

Anyone who might have some info on this is welcome to post in this thread on creating MILOs.

7. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Snippet Updated (Known Issues)
    The Known Issues Snippet, which was a direct import of Koetsu's issues in his ScoreHero guide, has become Rock Band 3 Customs Known Issues. It covers many of the common errors that plague customs, especially those that are direct imports from the Rock Band discs (specifically Wii). After trying to help someone get a custom working and having it not show up, I thought I'd update this Snippet to explain what might happen, what could be the cause, and how to fix it.

8. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Now on Discord!
    Rock Band Customs now is on discord! You can talk about hacking for Rock Band 3, Rock Band 2, and The Beatles: Rock Band on my new Discord server. Invite yourself here!

9. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    :bow::yay:

Great that you did it.It makes Rockband Fans now easier to help and discuss on "issues" nad "Troubles".

THANK YOU !!!!!:)

10. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Wiki Updated (Rock Band 3 Guide)
    • Album covers can reappear IF you supply a preview MOGG and the (preview # #) line in the DTA. What is expected to happen:
      1. Enter Quickplay or Practice mode. Select a custom DLC from the list. You should see your album cover (the songname_keep.png_wii) and hear the preview MOGG (songname_prev.mogg).
      2. Start the song. Play it or not; if not, press + and choose "Back to Song Selection". Upon returning to the list, you will see no album cover and hear the preview from the actual song as chosen by the DTA.
      3. Scroll to another song and then return. The album cover will reappear, and the preview MOGG will be playing.
    • LEGO Rock Band has a folder on the disc which includes MILO files and album covers in PNG_WII for every song in RB1 and some of the Track Packs. This has been mentioned in the guide, so if you don't have LEGO Rock Band for Wii yet, I say get it if you plan on using the files from RB1 as customs!

alexander1970 likes this.
  11. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Repo Updated (New Branches)
    In this thread, comments about important repo updates will be marked with a red header. This suggests that you need to update your copy of the repo files.

The DLC Packers have been moved to a new branch! The branch is named DLC_Packer_NTSC, and is now a bit more precise on what each packer is for. I expect to be adding more packers soon, so keep an eye out for updates to this branch! The one truly complete guide (the RB3 one) has also been updated to reflect the changes made to the repo.

12. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Great.I really appreciate it that you always keep us on the newest and latest news,i like that support from you.:yay:
    Thank you for your Time and your work.:)

13. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Repo Updated (New DLC Packers)

More DLC Packers have been found! Thanks to a member over at Customs Creators, almost every missing NTSC Rock Band 2 and Rock Band 3 DLC packer has been found and added to the DLC_Packers_NTSC branch! Most of the PAL packers for RB2/RB3, and both the NTSC and PAL packers for The Beatles: Rock Band, have also been discovered, but have yet to be added due to them being "too messy". Once they're properly structured, they will be released soon.

Cyan and alexander1970 like this.
  14. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Repo Updated (PAL DLC Packers Added)

The PAL Packers are finally here! After a two week hiatus, I finally worked on and released the DLC Packers for Rock Band 2 and 3 on PAL Wii/vWii! I haven't added the sZGP one yet, I forgot to. Some custom generations are still missing; I will add them when I find them.

You can either checkout the new branch by doing a git pull, then git checkout DLC_Packers_PAL, or simply download a ZIP of the DLC_Packers_PAL branch and extract it to a new project directory.

15. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    Now on Rock Band ScoreHero!
    The Rock Band 3 guide has been reposted on ScoreHero! For those who don't know, ScoreHero originally was a dedicated forum for Guitar Hero, but when Rock Band came along, they made a separate (yet linked) forum site known as Rock Band ScoreHero. It is where StackOverflow0x's old guide How to play upgrades, customs, and imports on Wii resides, and now a basic guide based off of the GBAtemp tutorial has been posted there! Go check it out! If you have a ScoreHero account, you may also leave comments and questions there!

16. alexander1970

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Great news !!!! Now Your work is getting better known ! :yay:
    Congratulations.:)

17. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    New Snippet (SD Card Problems)
    Many users of my repo have been complaining over SD card issues. A lot of it has to do with customs not being able to be seen on there. I've attempted to cover every issue I can think about in regards to customs on the SD card, and I now have a Snippet for it on GitLab. Also, the Known Issues Snippet has been modified to redirect to this new snippet, with some problems affecting either BINs or APPs expanded upon.

In the near future, I will create a separate Snippet for APP issues, but for now this should suffice.

18. HarvHouHacker
    OP

Mar 24, 2019
    United States
    GitLab Wiki Updated (Rock Band 3 Guide)
    The section Learn The Packing Structure has been further expanded on to try to help noobs understand better about the packing structure. There's a better explanation of slots, headers, content generation differences, APP naming, and limits in each generation. Some of this I recently discovered myself, so if any of it seems a bit off, let me know in the comments here!