GBAChef: Favourite food that weirds out visitors to your country

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Weird Al is the only other person who understands the delicious combination of Twinkies and weiners.

In fact, you could say we're... taste buds. *rimshot*

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Interesting. I have yet to actually go somewhere where traditional food has seen a dropoff in consumption to that extent. I have been places where it was bastardised heavily and been places where you have to put some actual work in should you want to find it but an actual dropoff is new to me.

On black pudding though. If I go to a pub or restaurant and ask for a fry up breakfast and it does not come with black pudding then it is changed to a faux fry up as far as most are concerned.

The taco mix and nachos thing. Chilli con carne is something I tend not to bother with since I was introduced to what some dubbed silverado chilli (stewing steak style cuts used instead).

As for century eggs I think the following probably warrants a link

On a slightly different matter where does eating rabbit sit with people? Normally I am of the kill it, cook it and I will eat it persuasion but I have met many in recent years that will not eat it for some reason.

Continuing on with the US food bashing theme I will have to say I would turn my nose up at hoagies and half the stuff I see on man vs food and other such shows though that is more commonly on health grounds.
On the flip side spare yourself the anguish if you should you try to find some American style jerky, put it this way when wandering around US pet shops and seeing the jerky for dogs I would otherwise considered it fit for human consumption. By all means try the native/non American style preserved meats as they are frequently very nice just do not bother getting American style jerky.

I checked, and Smalahove is traditional food on the west side of Norway, so I suppose it isn't very common elsewhere.
The whole thing with blood food I'm not sure about though. It seems like everyone I know who is above 40 has eaten it as a child, and I think there are some people that still do, but it's rather uncommon.

I've seen that video, but I actually ate century eggs before that video was made, the video explained a lot about what it was though. I don't really want to eat it again now that I know :P

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think why im having such a hard time coming up with things that would be nasty to outsiders is because we dont really eat things that... uh... are out of the ordinary. Like snails, blood, fish eggs, etc. While those things are very real, i think Americans have a habit of eating things that are very NOT real. While there are Mcdonalds all around the world, the food in each country is done differently. I cant imagine things at a McD's is real at all. Nor our "Pancake/Sausage" corndogs as posted above, or our debauchery of "ramen" noodles. Processed this that and lunchmeats. So while the rest of the world is out there eating real things and cooking real meals, America is trying to figure out what all we can eat that has the littlest nutritional value as we can. The less alive, the better.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't really have a lot of food like that, that a lot of Norwegians actually eat. There is some weird traditional food but I don't know anyone who actually eats it (at least not anymore)
We have blood pudding too, though it's not eaten a lot anymore. I heard it used to be quite common to eat blood pudding and blood pancakes before I was born.
There's also Smalahove, which is boiled sheep's head, complete with eyes. It grosses me out so it would definitely gross tourists out. But like I said, it's not commonly eaten, at least where I live.

I definitely have to mention Chinese food though. There's a lot there that would gross out people.
One notable one that comes to mind is century eggs, I've eaten it not really knowing what it was until I tried it. It doesn't actually taste terrible, but it's pretty gross thinking about how it's made, and the look of it alone would gross some people out. It's about as far from resembling egg as you can get.

I've tried that once, I don't see why people would hate it though, it's just a sandwich.
Admittedly, the one I had was kind of dry and not very tasty, I love every kind of kebab in general and I'm sure there are far better shawarma kebabs. My favorite kind of kebab being Doner. :D

The white stuff (Hummus or Tahina) turns them off if I tell them it's not mayo.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I eat quite a bit of houmous and have done for years, I have got all sorts of odd remarks for my troubles though it has got far better the last few years as people have cottoned on to it. However the time I wandered down stairs, thought I would have a honey sandwich and instead ended up with a tahini sandwich.....

America is trying to figure out what all we can eat that has the littlest nutritional value as we can. The less alive, the better.
That in and of itself it terrifying and certainly serves to weird out visitors.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I eat quite a bit of houmous and have done for years, I have got all sorts of odd remarks for my troubles though it has got far better the last few years as people have cottoned on to it. However the time I wandered down stairs, thought I would have a honey sandwich and instead ended up with a tahini sandwich.....

That in and of itself it terrifying and certainly serves to weird out visitors.

Yeah thats also kinda what i meant haha. I think if more people from other countries knew what we were trying to consume, we could be on par with fish eggs, snails, and bug eaters.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not say I care for them myself but what is odd about fish eggs?

Snails and insects. I will at least give that it is often thought of as odd but nobody has yet been able to tell me why that should be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: GBATemp Rule 63. Uhh... someone check. :ninja: