GBA SP sound not working

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by supergamer368, Apr 19, 2017.

1. supergamer368
    OP

supergamer368 The guy who randomly started playing the Wii again

May 22, 2016
    United States
    In a wastebasket reading my neighbor's mail
    I have a GBA SP. Once I noticed the sound no longer works. I cleaned it with alcohol and the sound worked for about 3 plays. Then it cut off again. Any ideas??

2. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    Make sure the speaker pins are making contact with the circuit board. If not, try bending the speaker pins up more to make contact. If that still doesn't work, buy a new speaker for a $1 or 2 on eBay.

3. supergamer368
    OP

May 22, 2016
    United States
    It doesn't help. I raised those pins high. Any other suggestions (other than cleaning, which i tried)???

4. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    Do you know if the speaker actually works then? Take a 9V battery or something and touch the pins to it for just a split second and see if there is any noise or movement within the speaker. If so, it is fine, if not, it's probably dead. If that fails, check the circuit board for shorted connections. If there was a short on the board, you might be able to solder wires from the speaker to the correct pins from the audio chip.

This image should help if that's what you want to do: https://i.imgur.com/i929k.jpg

You could also use a multimeter to check if there resistance hits OL when connected to the speaker, meaning the speaker is shorted and dead. You could also check the connection with the GBA SP on and the multimeter connected to the leads that the speaker makes contact with, while checking for a voltage on the multimeter.

Last edited by Drud1995, Apr 21, 2017
  5. supergamer368
    OP

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Nothing is working, I charged the console, I put the speaker to a multimeter, i put it to a battery (the speaker does work, proven by both) i i don't want to solder. Any other ideas?

6. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    ive seen replacement speakers for the gba sp on ebay for around $5, maybe buy one of those?

7. supergamer368
    OP

May 22, 2016
    United States
    I don't see the point, the speaker is not at fault. There's something wrong on the main board, but I can't figure it out. and no amount of rubbing alcohol is going to fix that. I think.

8. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    Todderbert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 30, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    You mentioned cleaning it with alcohol and it worked for abit, try a fine flexible emery board, or very fine sand paper and clean the terminals every so slightly using that method. I've brought games back form the dead doing that. using like a 800-1000grit wet/dry sandpaper board.

fenixcumber likes this.
  9. supergamer368
    OP

May 22, 2016
    United States
    I'm sorry but i'm stupid what do you mean by terminals? Those little gold colored spots where the speaker touches the motherboard?
    EDIT: the speaker is confirmed working, quiet "beep" sound comes out of it, but no game sound.

Last edited by supergamer368, May 5, 2017
  10. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    Todderbert is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 30, 2009
    United States
    Illinois
    Check your volume slider, make sure it looks clean. Though I have not had a SP volume slider go bad before.

Yes the little gold colored spots where the speaker touches the motherboard. Also sand the terminals on the speaker. If that fails, get a new speaker, I don't think your MB is bad. Speakers always go bad.

[​IMG]

11. NeMesiS

NeMesiS Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2016
    I've come across a few GBP, GBC & GBA's where either the sound wouldn't work or wouldn't turn on.
    I managed to repair most of them by re-soldering the 4 pins on both switch's...
    I really don't think there's much that could actually go wrong with the speaker.