Status
Not open for further replies.

Torch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I do know that it is possible to run NDS ROMs on the 3DS using compatible flashcarts, but I can't seem to find any information about GBA ROMs compatibility.

I'm sorry if it is a noob question, but is it possible to run GBA ROMs on the 3DS?

Sinistral89

Trophies
XP
Country
Not unless we get access to 3DS-mode (or maybe DSi?). The only way is to have a Supercard DSTwo (or I think it was iPlayer or something like that) that has a built in processor. Dunno how many games work and how well they work.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Like it was already mentioned, you can't just play GBA roms on it, however, it is possible to play GBA games on it, ambassadors got 10 GBA games, so that could mean you'll be able to purchase some on the eShop in the future, emphasys on the could tho.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The DS form factor isn't really akin to that of the GBA as it is - I played GBA games on the DS and I assure you that it's just not "the same thing" as playing them on the GBA Classic, perhaps like playing them on the SP but I personally don't own one.

The closest you can get to proper GBA emulation on the go is the PSP which has become the dominant emulation powerhouse over the years and is pretty much the most cost-effective method of playing your Retro games at this point. Just grab one of those bad boys pre-owned, softmod it and enjoy the results.

There ain't gonna be anything better than that until either the 3DS or the Vita gets hacked, and before you say "Android", "iOS" or "Windows Phone", I reply "No proper gamepad" to shoot down any arguments that may undermine this simple truth.

Alternatively you can just grab a GBA/GBA SP/GBA Micro/DS/DS Lite and a SLOT-2 flashcart, but then you limit yourself to just the GBA and weaker systems, which defeats the purpose of an extra purchase.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and before you say "Android", "iOS" or "Windows Phone", I reply "No proper gamepad" to shoot any arguments that may undermine this simple truth.
Aren't you forgetting about the Xperia Play?
The Xperia Play has a proper gamepad, but the buttons are "digital". They don't feel like console buttons at all, it's a poor substitute for a typical handheld console.

Not saying that it's a bad phone - it's pretty cool to have a gaming phone, but I don't think it's the default option. Moreover, it's quite expensive.

Would I buy the Xperia Play and play on it? Yes. Would I do so if I were looking for a cost-effective solution? No, because it's bloody expensive.

I'm assuming that the OP has a phone and is not planning on buying a new one, y'see. ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With the Xperia Play price, you can buy a smartphone with better specs, but if you love games...
Except none of the current mobile systems fully utilizes the so-called "better specs" and the games are still made with single-core handsets in mind. Before the next generation of phones properly rolls in, the differences in performance will be minimal.

Unless you're crazy about benchmarks (in which the Xperia Play does well as it is), you're not going to need the extra firepower and the gamepad is a *huge* selling point.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyway, short answer: nope. If the 3DS gets hacked, maybe.

Long answer: read the rest of the thread with the lots of off-topic.

*locks to avoid more off-topic*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.