Hacking GBA ROMs on EZFlash Vi & 3in1

  • Thread starter Thread starter DJ Hobo
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 3,951
  • Replies Replies 17

DJ Hobo

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
240
Reaction score
0
Trophies
1
XP
121
Country
So, I recently bought an EZFlash Vi, and I planned on using it with my 3in1+ slot-2 device. As far as I know, all I need to do is copy a clean ROM to the MicroSD card, and boot up the GBA game through the slot-1 cart. I have two issues:

-How do I migrate Pokemon? Is it just a matter of copying the ROM to NOR and booting up the DS game? Every time I try, the data from the GBA game gets corrupted or something, and the "continue" option after the starting screen isn't there.

-Every time I try to boot a GBA game, it shows the first loading bar (writing to NOR, or writing to PSRAM), and then it shows a second loading bar ("save patch", or something along those lines). The first loading bar loads fine, but the second one doesn't load at all. When writing to PSRAM, the loading bar simply disappears after a while. When writing to NOR, either the bar just stays on the screen for a few minutes, or it stays there indefinitely.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I'm running the latest firmware and kernel, by the way.
 
Hmmm, I've patched the DS rom, but the GBA data still gets corrupted. This happens every time I try to load a Pokemon GBA ROM to either PSRAM or NOR. This only happens with the Pokemon ROMs too. Never with the others. Is it because of the save file size? My Pokemon saves are 128k, all of the saves for my other games are 64 and below.
 
Migrating feature is not yet implemented in k2.0 series.
BTW, should be available in k1.90OB11 without needed to patch anything on the GBA rom.
Must use GBA single-rom mode exclusively on this kernel. Multi-rom is buggy to my opinion (lost saves).
 
Mbmax said:
Migrating feature is not yet implemented in k2.0 series.
BTW, should be available in k1.90OB11 without needed to patch anything on the GBA rom.
Must use GBA single-rom mode exclusively on this kernel. Multi-rom is buggy to my opinion (lost saves).
I haven't tried the multi-rom feature yet. I wanna get the hang of single-rom first.

Is there any risk in downgrading the kernel to 1.90 Open Beta? Like.. can I downgrade, do the migration, and then upgrade back to the current version, without any worries?
 
K1.90OB11 is compatible with ezvi, so no problem.
wink.gif

Both kernel can be used on your microSD if you wish.
Rename k1.90OB11's EZ5sys.bin into ez5sys1.90ob11.nds (so you don't erase RC13 one) and copy it in root along with /moonshl folder and launch it under k2.0RC13.
wink.gif
 
Mbmax said:
K1.90OB11 is compatible with ezvi, so no problem.
wink.gif

Both kernel can be used on your microSD if you wish.
Rename k1.90OB11's EZ5sys.bin into ez5sys1.90ob11.nds (so you don't erase RC13 one) and copy it in root along with /moonshl folder and launch it under k2.0RC13.
wink.gif
Wow.. that's pretty cool.

Oh, and if I copy a game to NOR (Pokemon or not), and I start playing it, how do I copy the save from the NOR to the MicroSD?

EDIT - The Pokemon data still keeps getting corrupted/deleted every time I write the ROM to NOR. Is there a way to fix this? Oh, and just a side-note.. Every time I do write a Pokemon ROM to NOR, it makes a screeching sound when the ROM boots straight after. When I turn the DS off and select the GBA game from the NDS menu, it plays fine. But as I said before, the data gets deleted.
 
how_do_i_do_that said:
Your probably using a SRAM patcher that doesn't support the save size of pokemon games.

Use the EZ-IV client program to SRAM patch the game.

http://filetrip.net/f4753-EZ4-Client-2009-04-03.html

I'm supposed to patch the GBA ROM, right? What settings do I use? Am I supposed to change the save file size? I'm kinda confused
wacko.gif
 
Ok Mr. Hobo pay attention...

Use the RC13 kernel, patch the clean NDS poke game with cory's poke_patch 4.2

Add the clean GBA Rom to your microsd and run it...and wait...the RC kernel will patch it and everything for you...so wait...

Once the game is on it and it saves and works and everything for migration has been unlocked...

You will be able to migrate...

Note: For Ruby & Sapphire you can use gbaatm to fix the clock error msg...migration will still work...
You will be able to migrate from the 3in1 and retail games too
 
Mbmax said:
K1.90OB11 is compatible with ezvi, so no problem.
wink.gif

Both kernel can be used on your microSD if you wish.
Rename k1.90OB11's EZ5sys.bin into ez5sys1.90ob11.nds (so you don't erase RC13 one) and copy it in root along with /moonshl folder and launch it under k2.0RC13.
wink.gif


Why didnt you post this on the ezforum, thats damn cool, n ive been carrying 2 microsd's like a bum...
 
sinbad.the.sailer said:
Ok Mr. Hobo pay attention...

Use the RC13 kernel, patch the clean NDS poke game with cory's poke_patch 4.2

Add the clean GBA Rom to your microsd and run it...and wait...the RC kernel will patch it and everything for you...so wait...

Once the game is on it and it saves and works and everything for migration has been unlocked...

You will be able to migrate...
So.. what about my existing save for the GBA ROM? Can I go through that exact process, but then import my .sav to the NOR? Or perhaps even run the ROM and the .sav together the first time I run the ROM?
 
sinbad.the.sailer said:
Mbmax said:
K1.90OB11 is compatible with ezvi, so no problem.
wink.gif

Both kernel can be used on your microSD if you wish.
Rename k1.90OB11's EZ5sys.bin into ez5sys1.90ob11.nds (so you don't erase RC13 one) and copy it in root along with /moonshl folder and launch it under k2.0RC13.
wink.gif



Why didnt you post this on the ezforum, thats damn cool, n ive been carrying 2 microsd's like a bum...

Because of noobs understanding.
If you do that with Kernel 1.70, you brick your ezvi with the bootstrap update (for ezv v1) that happen at startup-sequence.

This trick is ok only with k1.90OB11, only.

@DJ Hobo : the kernel 1.90OB11 use the same patching process than the ez4 client on the PC. The only thing you have to do is to delete GBADATA folder to be sure this process happen again and patch correctly on the fly your clean GBA rom.

About load a save in GBA 3in1, here is a quote from the wiki (kernel 1.90 OB11 only) :

QUOTE said:
Keys for Triple-pack

* R+A: Launch Triple-pack GBA mode
* R+X: Backup GBA savegame from Triple-pack to MicroSD
* R+Y: Copy GBA savegame from MicroSD to Triple-pack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(sinbad.the.sailer @ Mar 6 2010, 10:02 AM)
Ok Mr. Hobo pay attention...

Use the RC13 kernel, patch the clean NDS poke game with cory's poke_patch 4.2

Add the clean GBA Rom to your microsd and run it...and wait...the RC kernel will patch it and everything for you...so wait...

Once the game is on it and it saves and works and everything for migration has been unlocked...

You will be able to migrate...

Note: For Ruby & Sapphire you can use gbaatm to fix the clock error msg...migration will still work...
You will be able to migrate from the 3in1 and retail games too

Concerning sinbad.the.sailer trick. As the option to migrate from GBA slot is not yet implemented in K2.0 series, i'm pretty sure it will work. Because cory1492 patch does the same thing than the patch done under k1.90OB11.
wink.gif

Just patch the clean rom with cory1492 tool and delete GBADATA folder so the kernel does the save type patch again.


And last, if you try this trick, keys to load manualy a save file from microsd are not yet implemented.
You have to flash a different game in NOR, copy the save you want to use, and now flash your pokemon game.

The SRAM memory (where GBA saves are stored) is read/write only when you change to another game in NOR (also in PSRAM).
Hope you understand the logic here ...
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted