Homebrew GBA games on full speed?

NintendoLover64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i like emulation but GBA games have certain lags on it so i don't really like to playing them that way, if anyone could make it 100% speed all the time that would rule

being able to play GBA games on a tv is awesome

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% way, get a GCN and a gameboy player. 100% emulation through hardware
tongue.gif

There is probably room still to improve performance on VBA for wii... but obviously it's not a priority for the programmer or else it'd already be in. You can probably disable sound to get smoother play in the meantime if that makes that big of a difference to your gameplay experience.

NintendoLover64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
tongue.gif

There is probably room still to improve performance on VBA for wii... but obviously it's not a priority for the programmer or else it'd already be in. You can probably disable sound to get smoother play in the meantime if that makes that big of a difference to your gameplay experience.
they don't sell gamecubes here anymore
unsure.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Tantric already said he didn't have the knowledge neither the time to improve the emulation speed.

Best chance is to have some Wii gurus working on this to use PPC assembly in some places or advanced GX techniques for video rendering.

Sir_Shaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The VisualBoy GX emulator for the Wii works awesome. Its based on the gamecube emulator and I was playing mario kart advance, Zelda: Minish Cap, Mother 3 and Dodgeball advance on it last night. It seemed to run at full speed. I was even loading and saving games over the network and it was running great!

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psiko: It's not about the emulator, but about the optimizations for the specific hardware (unless VBA uses some very very VERY inefficient ways to handle things, which I can't imagine it doing so). gbSP would require just as much work to get up to speed on the Wii as VBA.

NintendoLover64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
I'm sure you could ebay a gamecube for cheap.
i don't think its worth buying a camecube, gameboy player and gamecube controller just to play gba games while i already have wii, plus i live in Iceland wich makes things even worse!
frown.gif

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I have more ''problems'' with some artifacts in sound than emulation speed to be honest. Aside that, VBA for Wii is one the best emulators availables for the system

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl I think it's not so much that the games are running slow as it is that there is noticeably skipped frames (a sign that the emulator has to drop rendering of images to maintain full speed gameplay) and I've noticed it a few times myself. Rarely bad enough to be anywhere close to a problem.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I noticed slowdown if the emulator was set to run in 50Hz mode. The TV my brother's Wii is hooked up to only supports 50Hz (it's old as shit), but if I hook it up to a decent TV and set it to 60Hz, everything runs fine. This might also be the cause of sound artifacts, which I get in 50Hz mode also.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
i've never noticed that even when playing sonic and that goes pretty damn fast

It's not a matter of how fast a game moves, but how complex the game is that's being emulated. Sonic games are pretty basic and don't take advantage of many of the GBA effects. The more complex the game, the harder it is to emulate at full frame rate.

Vague Rant: You make a very good point there. This probably has to do with the fact that all GBA's independant of region run at 60hz and with no native modes for 50hz therefore requiring more processing.

NintendoLover64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
I noticed slowdown if the emulator was set to run in 50Hz mode. The TV my brother's Wii is hooked up to only supports 50Hz (it's old as shit), but if I hook it up to a decent TV and set it to 60Hz, everything runs fine. This might also be the cause of sound artifacts, which I get in 50Hz mode also.
i have my tv set to 60hz, the emulator runs some games at full speed.

the games i want to play the most like golden sun and metroid lag, guess the only thing we can do is to hope someone cool fixes the emulation speed
wink2.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
tongue.gif

lost the booting disc.

D:

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Advice Dog said:
koji2009 said:
tongue.gif

lost the booting disc.

D:

Is the gameboy player that good? I know where I can get one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up