GBA game capability with DSi.

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Mnemosyne, Apr 11, 2009.

Apr 11, 2009

GBA game capability with DSi. by Mnemosyne at 1:31 PM (2,738 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Mnemosyne
    OP

Newcomer Mnemosyne Newbie

United States
    Here's the situation: I'm deciding to whether or not to buy a DSi in the near future, so I've been looking around today. I'm a fan of the old GB/GBA games, so I'm wondering what the compatibility situation is like with the Acekard 2. I've read a couple of reviews and such, and none explicitly state the how (and if) I would load and play these games.

Being a newb in this generation of handheld gaming, it'd be appreciated if any responses were kept to simple, layman's terms. Thanks in advance.

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    DSi -> no slot2 -> no slot2 gba expansion -> how play gba games with flashcart?

3. LivingToDie

Banned LivingToDie Banned

Netherlands

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    If you want guaranteed GBA compatibility the DSi is not for you.

If you are a homebrew developer then please try, otherwise pray and wait.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Even if the DSi can be made to play GBA games, you will be limited to only what Ninty decides to release as DSiWare......or they'll start making GBA ports to the DSi as a DSi cart. Either way you'd be forced to pay for those old GBA games all over again.

But if you got a DSlite, you would only need to buy a flashcart for slot1 and slot2 (once) and then you can download/dump all the DS/GBA games you can stand and play them all for free without any limitations or extra cost.

The choice is obvious.

6. Mnemosyne
    OP

Newcomer Mnemosyne Newbie

United States
    Perhaps it was wishful thinking, but I was hoping some form of GBA emulation on the DSi would be possible. If only the Acekard could read .gba as well...I'll probably still end up getting the DSi anyway.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The noob trap strikes again, people confusing integrated support with emulation.

8. killajackson

Newcomer killajackson Advanced Member

Canada
    Well is there a GBA emulator for DS/DSi? I don't believe there is, but it would be cool.

9. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    There isn't because DS/DSL doesn't need it. It has slot2

Dsi needs it and maybe we will see somrthing in future. As i said in other post. DSi/DS/DSL has almost the same hardware, 2 arm processors. So maybe Dsi supports by nature gba games (through some kind of loader). Maybe i'm not sure at all

10. thephich

Newcomer thephich Newbie

Canada
    (not trying to be a a** here) but althought it still has only the 2 arm processors (ARM 7 & 9) it has 12 MB of RAM 4x as much as the lite, meaning no need for the RAM expantion. just sayin, dont mean to be that douche who tries to prove ppl wrong, just wanted to point out [​IMG]