Gba emulators are slow

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mike a, Oct 31, 2018.

1. mike a
    OP

mike a GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    I have mgba and gpse and neither run at full speed. Sure a game like ffta might be alright to play but is annoying. Are there any other emulators that run at full speed? Or am I sol

2. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    if you are on an old 3ds your best bet is using virtual console injects though that just straight up loads the game on a special gba chip so no savestates or cheats

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ry755, Tac 21 and Itzumi like this.
  3. Itzumi

Itzumi Wiccan 3DS Dev

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    I usually use injects for my gba needs, as I dont really use stuff like savestates and cheats. But if your looking for those, im not sure what you can use, I use mgba for romhacks or when im too lazy to vc inject.

NoNAND likes this.
  4. mike a
    OP

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    On a n3ds, figured I'd have to use vc injects. Oh well.

5. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    With something like the GBA Virtual Console injections that can run games at full speed I don't think emulators are going to serve much of a use

Itzumi likes this.
  6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    If you need to use mGBA it does have a frameskip feature. A lot of games will avoid slowdown with frameskip = 1 (i.e. 30 FPS.) Particularly those turn based RPGs and the like.

Itzumi likes this.
  7. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    You can switch games from your collection much faster with mGBA and the use of savestates is much more easier than with GBA VC.

Last edited by Dodain47, Nov 1, 2018
  8. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    if you miss sleep mode in the gba vc, you can patch it back in to activate with a button press. Also, i'm surprised that mgba and gpse are running slow for you, as i've never really had issues with them. I mean gpse has a well known crashing bug that im not sure is fixed, but it was fast and smooth on n3ds. Are you using the lastest nightly of each? Is v-sync enabled in gpse? What games are you testing?

9. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Many of the top GBA exclusives cannot maintain 60 FPS on either emulator. (unless you like crashing with gPSP dynarec..) Both metroid games, Sonic Advance games, tactics ogre/advance, mario vs. donkey kong, golden sun, castlevania, final fantasy iv-vi, drill dozer. Sure a lot of these are playable at 45-55 FPS, but the sound is garbage then so you better like playing silent. The only thing that did run well for me without frameskip is the super mario ports, I'm sure there are many more games out there that run fine but its hard to recommend when so many top games fall flat.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Nov 1, 2018
  10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    unfortunately, as dynarec is buggy for gpsp (it runs everything i've ever tried fullspeed but it randomly crashes since it's also buggy) and mgba apparently doesn't intend to add dynarec because they're all about accuracy over speed, the only current option for gba on either o3ds and n3ds is injects. at least those can be found premade online (look for the ones that fix screen blurr).

11. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Endrift plans to add dynarec to the 3ds version of mgba. Look at the Timeline below.

Attached Files:

• mgba.jpg
      mgba.jpg
      File size:
      216.7 KB
      Views:
    plug313 likes this.
  12. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    hunh w/ mentioning bits for "PSP" i surmise thats the overall timeline for mGBA? but the possibility of online multiplay if that feature hits the 3DS Port .. :unsure:

plug313 likes this.
  13. Tac 21

Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2008
    Canada

last I remembered not every game works with sleep mode... actually a lot of them do not..

BUT mGBA IS getting better! it may overtake GBA VC one day

14. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    Interestingly, AGB_FIRM can't put games to sleep when you close the system, but it can wake them when you open it.

15. mike a
    OP

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Honestly I don't know where to get the nightlies at, and Ivan using them as retroarch cores, so I didn't know you can frameskip. Was playing Mario Kart, activision anthology, and the midway games, which those are the only ones that play at full speed

16. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    This is the link to the latest nightly for mgba: https://mgba.io/downloads.html.
    You find them in the category Development builds.

This a link to the New 3DS mgba compatibility list for the previous stable build 0.6.3: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/MGBA
    The lates nightly has better compatibility than the 0.6.3 stable.

17. ankylosource

ankylosource Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    You could get a DSTwo cart. it has its own processor to let you run GBA games. It has the occasional slow down, but I think it's a pretty good.

18. mike a
    OP

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    It was hard enough to get the flashcard I have now lol

19. able

able Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    heres the thing: playing on original hardware will always beat emulation, a more powerful computer doesnt mean better game play for old games. you are able to play on official hardware, so id recommend doing so through vc injections personally

20. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    DStwo uses frameskip by default, it isn't really any faster than mGBA on a N3DS.