GB Studio v1.0.0 lets you create homebrew Game Boy games with no coding experience

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Wanderer0891

Wanderer0891 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    This is neat, I'm looking forward to the projects created from this.

2. WAUthethird

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    Should be. There is audio support, but I doubt you'd be able to import wave files.

3. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    neat.
    it will be easier to do 4 colors than gazzilions ones.
    Time to make Snake for the GB

Kyouken likes this.
  4. fatHusky

fatHusky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2019
    Canada
    i want to import midis

5. WAUthethird

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    I think that's possible, but however - remember the voice count.

6. fatHusky

fatHusky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2019
    Canada
    it only supports .mod files for music iirc

7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    it says adventure style jrpg? i bet that dont include turn based like Final fantasy legend 3 on gameboy.

8. WAUthethird

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    Ah, ok. I've not heard of any good .midi to .mod converters, so your best bet is to recreate the midis in a .mod editor. Midis are apparently quite messy to convert to .mod, and you'd likely not end up with very good results.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, it doesn't seem so. I'm hoping they'll add more game styles in the future, though.

Last edited by WAUthethird, Apr 23, 2019
    Xabring likes this.
  9. Dasfilth

Dasfilth Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    There's been some pretty awesome games that came about as a result of GameMaker. Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is one of my favorites.

x65943 likes this.
  10. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    This is pretty cool. I'd love to see something like this for SNES and GBA as well. I mnok that'd be a lot more complicated, but a ton of fan games would be possible (without having to use something like Assembly Language).

11. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    There's some sort of paradox in this statement.

Owenge likes this.
  12. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    looks more like RPG Maker than a general purpose game engine

13. YamiZee

YamiZee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Finland
    Whenever I see homebrew support for old consoles I just have to think to myself... why? What's the point. It's so much effort that could be better spent on current day consoles or pc. Only a very small handful care about homebrew for deprecated consoles. Why not make a retro game creator that outputs to windows instead of gameboy. I definitely think this sounds very cool, but outside of that it doesn't seem practical in the slightest.

14. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    For those (like me) who are running arch, you'll probably find use to have this program available as an AUR package:

- Stable version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gb-studio/

- Git (nightly) version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gb-studio-git/

That aside, this looks really cool! I might make something with it.

Note: There are likely unneeded dependencies in the stable version. That is because I used debtap to make the package. On a similar note, the git version only has the dependencies that I found were needed to get the package to compile. If there are any other dependencies needed for the git version, please tell me.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well, it also builds to HTML5, so that's moot.

You can ask the same question as to why Shovel Knights composer made the entire OST on an original NES. It's to achieve a certain specific style. In this case, the desired style appears to be something similar to Links Awakening. By far the easiest way to ensure that you're not deviating is to practically code it as if it were for the original gameboy.

15. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    1) It's pleasing aesthetically for a lot of people, due to specific quirks and limitations of the hardware that are near impossible to replicate with 100% precision on modern devices
    2) It has a certain artistic value (not to mention strong novelty factor). Just look at the whole demoscene culture - people who use aforementined quirks and limitations to create some fascinating works of art
    3) It's a great programming/game developing exercise, since you have to work within limitations and use very specific tools - both skills that can be very valuable in serious game development
    4) It can be applied to some practical use (like above, an idea to make a GB cartridge to propose to someone :D )
    5) It's just enjoyable in its own geeky DIY way - kinda like running Linux on e-Reader or playing Doom on your toaster

Last edited by Pipistrele, Apr 23, 2019
    Xabring and WAUthethird like this.
  16. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Honestly surprised and charmed by this project. It adds a whole different layer to how people can interact with the good old GB...

17. YamiZee

YamiZee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Finland
    The aesthetic part I totally get. But they could be gb looking games that run natively on other devices without having to use an emulator.

18. WAUthethird

WAUthethird Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2017
    United States
    That's true, but there are tons of other pieces of software just like that out there.

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    I remember using game markers programs ages who in the Windows 95 era, nothing came from it,

Probably lack of feedback, I learned way more of HTML that I ever did about making games because I had people to talk about online about making webpages.

Someone should totally make a joke GBATEMP Gameboy game for Christmas.

20. axelluu

axelluu Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    nice, something to mess with