GB Advance SP Shell Change

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, this is my first time changing the GBA SP shell, so I have no idea what I should look for before buying the sell.
I'm planning on buying this shell on eBay: Link

The description (below) is what I'm unsure of. What's a hinge cover and more importantly, are the buttons not included!?

BJ9Hrmf.png

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The glass screen is a good investment. I have one on each of my gameboy advances and they look great. They also feel nice when you wipe dust away with your thumb.
About the hinges, I guess they break easy (like the ds lite) and are sold separately so the user doesn't have to buy a whole housing kit.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It's just that it doesn't look complete :P. Are the glass investment good on a GBA SP 001? I heard that their screen is very difficult to see and from that, wouldn't a glass screen be a waste on a 001 and should be used on a 101 instead?

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, wouldn't glass provide greater clarity? Also, the inner hinges are fairly durable, so don't worry about the risk of breaking the original ones. Just use those and everything else is included in the eBay listing.
New shells are always worth it compared to the originals in my opinion.

Here is a picture of mine:

Attachments

• AGS 101 SP.JPG
    AGS 101 SP.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 1,066

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If anything, wouldn't glass provide greater clarity? Also, the inner hinges are fairly durable, so don't worry about the risk of breaking the original ones. Just use those and everything else is included in the eBay listing.
New shells are always worth it compared to the originals in my opinion.

Here is a picture of mine:

How would I replace the original screen for glass screen? I thought that when you meant glass screen, you meant something like a tempered glass screen protector. It does look nice on your AGS 101, but that has backlight while AGS-001's screen is pure crap and foggy. Anyways, I just don't know how the glass will improve the dullness of the AGS 001 screen but if it really helps the colour, I'll try it.

Nice looking GBA SP tho, are those 2 different shells?

Last edited by ZhafuanZ,

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I fixed up an AGS-001 in the past, I think I just peeled off the the plastic lens from the front-light's light spreader (AGS 101 doesn't have this) and put the new one in place. Make sure you don't get fingerprints on the light spreader though, as you can't get them out without damaging it. Nonetheless, you're best bet is to find a badly beat up AGS 101 for cheap and just swap the shell on it. My SP looked like it was dropped over 100 times before I swapped the shell. I ended up buying 2 separate shells and mixing them together for the color scheme.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
When I fixed up an AGS-001 in the past, I think I just peeled off the the plastic lens from the front-light's light spreader (AGS 101 doesn't have this) and put the new one in place. Make sure you don't get fingerprints on the light spreader though, as you can't get them out without damaging it. Nonetheless, you're best bet is to find a badly beat up AGS 101 for cheap and just swap the shell on it. My SP looked like it was dropped over 100 times before I swapped the shell. I ended up buying 2 separate shells and mixing them together for the color scheme.
I already bought AGS 001, so it's alright. Is the shell of AGS 001 and AGS 101 the same? Is the motherboard region locked (I have a GBA 101 from Taiwan, does that mean I can't play US games?)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, it's been a long time since I've replaced the shell. I'd becareful of the sticky foam around the screen. I'm not sure if you can order that one piece. I had to reuse it.

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You know, it's been a long time since I've replaced the shell. I'd becareful of the sticky foam around the screen. I'm not sure if you can order that one piece. I had to reuse it.
What sticky foam? Oh I think my battery is ruined but the light indicator turns red to green and vice versa on random times. It also doesn't charge right, from what I remember (10 years ago or so) orange light indicates that it's charging and green light indicates that its full.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct about the lights. There is a black foam between the LCD screen and the front lens. It keeps the lens stuck to the LCD screen. Though, I guess if you were only replacing the shell, you won't be seperating the lense from the LCD screen. I was replacing a defective screen and I had to seperate them.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said before, it's not a really big issue to replace the lens. Just gently peel it off without getting fingerprints all over the light spreader.

ZhafuanZ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Im currently change the top half of the gba but it feels like it's wrong. The "flip"? of the gba doesn't work properly. Like there's a missing piece. Is there something im doing wrong?

D

Deleted User

Im currently change the top half of the gba but it feels like it's wrong. The "flip"? of the gba doesn't work properly. Like there's a missing piece. Is there something im doing wrong?
I had the same problem, its the hinges you didnt put them in correctly.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hinge was the hardest part I had doing a case transfer. I gave up on the aftermarket ones and only use OEM shells from dead systems. Plus the OEM plastics just feel better. As far as a glass screen goes, I would not use one on a regular GBA or any Gameboy model for fear of breakage. On an SP I would stick with the stock plastic one also. They rarely if ever are scratched. Now I could be wrong, but I don't trust these new glass lenses for sturdiness or durability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1