gathering a development team for a sci-fi shooter game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
From personal experience, I think you should de-scope your project a little bit, Id be pretty pissed to be part of your team for it to be abandoned after a few months.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
yes i am 15 but i don't believe that makes a difference because i enjoy what i am doing and am taking computing in school and will go on to do game developing in college
Inspiring.
Emboldened by your courage, I think I will perform a heart surgery and then go to medical school. :P

haohmaru6

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To the OP,

You may be confused by the sarcasm and general hostility. You should be aware this forum may not be the best place to be asking for this kind of assistance.

Don't take the fact that you're being called a kid as demeaning, because you ARE a kid, which means you have TIME, LOTS OF TIME. This also means you can make a great many mistakes without too much penalty, which you HAVE TO MAKE to LEARN.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a game, or pursuing the career of making games in general, (and don't ever let ANYONE convince you otherwise,) but you are attempting to skip too far ahead, which inevitably will lead to catastrophic failure, resulting in discouragement, and no one wants that.

If you want to start making games, first of all don't even THINK about doing it for profit.

See what other people are doing.
Get a hold of some of the widely available game making tools.
Learn what a design document is, and write one.
Learn how to implement your design document yourself.
Don't promise anyone anything about "profits," but make sure you give due credit to anyone who provides any kind of assistance.
Don't spend too long on your game.
Finish your game, release it on several forums (for FREE,) and get as much feedback as you can.

Then do it all again, and again, and again. Build a portfolio, and never stop adding to it.

While you're doing all that, you can read a lot of books about game design and the games industry.
Read some articles on game design from people who know a lot about it. Mark Cerny (Marble Madness,) comes to mind, as just ONE example.
In school, focus on math, literature, art, and psychology, because you need them all in game design.

When you finish your game, post on this forum about it so you can get more feedback.

Good luck, and don't lose your passion.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be 100% honest here, OP, you might want to download and tinker with RPG Maker XP, and learn it's scripting system (It can do some very interesting things if used right). Make your own game in RPG Maker (It's VERY easy to do), and add some of your own personal touches via story and of course unique additions made by learning it's script. At the very least I'd make a 15 minute sampler of what you're intending to do. I'm saying to use RPG Maker XP because it is the quickest way to make your own game.

Then re-create this thread, with a link to the RPG Maker XP game you made, and showcase in the thread (by use of video/images), the unique ideas you have that would actually make people want to help you out. Also point out what parts of the game you did not make (pre-made assets, graphics, sound, animations, etc), so people know that's not your focus, and that's what you need help with. It can't just be some cliche'd RPG thing, trust me.

kaylin martin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everybody for the feedback.
I am soon to start learning unrealscript and c#. Along with some other resources such as 3ds max, Softimage and mudbox (which I used to create 2 low poly models).

I am also getting somebody to open a kicksrarter for me (hopefully) if it is successfully opened I shall link it back to this forum. So please stay watching.

Regards
Kaylin

wafflebeard

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay I know I'm late to the party but I still wanted to share a few thoughts concerning your proposal.

One. Even though you thanked everyone who posted in this thread for their feedback, it seems like you promptly ignored all of them and continued on your half-baked path (and there was near-universally quality feedback coming at you here; Hyro-Sama, BortzANATOR, Foxi4, haohmaru6 and shlong all had great constructive criticism, among others). Even though the single most common piece of advice given to you was to scale back your project and to practice your desired craft, you're still talking about setting up a Kickstarter to fund your dream game. You got buttmad at people for poking fun at your overly-ambitious plan even though they were giving you useful feedback, albeit feedback coated in a delicious candy shell of sarcasm. Ignoring quality advice like that is a sure route to disappointment and disillusionment.

Two. In regards to Kickstarter, I really think you're biting off more than you can chew. I've bankrupted myself more than once on Kickstarter (dat comics section) and I make a habit of reading interviews by the creators of successful Kickstarter drives and I have to tell you, from what I know about how Kickstarter works you are severely underestimating how huge of an undertaking it is and setting yourself up for failure. Multiple creative professionals have stated flat out that running a Kickstarter campaign is a month-long full time job, to say nothing of the time required to fulfill all of your pledge rewards. First of all, your Kickstarter WILL fail if all you have demonstrate your product is the promise of a script, a French composer, and your friend Jordan's undoubtedly mad debugging skills. You need concept art, video footage of gameplay, music samples, anything that proves you're not a 15 year old dreamer (which you are, and there's nothing wrong with that at all but it will not help get you backers I promise). Also, at the risk of nitpicking, your pledge rewards are unrealistic and uninspired. You have no low-level pledges (always always always give the option to pledge $1-5). You promise that backers can get Fractal and all of your future products at half price; how can you fulfill that promise if your goal is retail sales? That is outside of your sphere of influence as the creator. And 50 pounds for a "free" copy of the game? How is it free if they pay retail price? You need to diversify your rewards and offer something other than copies of your game, otherwise you'll have a tough time getting backer #1.

Three. You have chosen to create a game that falls into possibly the single most populated genre of game on the shelves right now. You can't swing a dead cat on a string at a gaming convention without knocking over a dozen sci fi shooters. And unfortunately, most of them are destined for obscurity. AAA sci fi FPS games flop all the time, never mind all the indie ones that no one remembers. I'm not telling you this to discourage you or to kill your dream, quite the opposite. That means that if you are committed to this story, to this game, then take your time. Start honing your craft now. Write everyday. Learn programming languages, learn everything you can - science, history, politics, math, anything and everything. If this story is truly a passion project of yours then you have to train, starting now. You're 15, you have a lot of time ahead of you. Start training now so that when the time comes to make your passion a reality, when opportunity knock, you can pour yourself and all of your training into it and make your game exceptional. Will anything less really satisfy?

That's all I have. I hope you take this in the spirit intended and not as a personal attack. I wish you all the best.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
Let's Review this in steps.
Team Structure
I am the script writer and i design the story.
There is also Jordan who debugs the code if he sees a fault
Script? I assume you'll be using Game Maker?
Although Programmer and Designer goes well together, doing both will be a pain, trust me.
Not only you need to make 26 pages long GDD's, you as well need to Code all functions into the game.
In the end, you'll finish the game with RSI.
Talent Needed

talent is needed in all areas:
Aka, you can't do anything yourself?
Graphical Design
Games design
Games development
Development of Tolls and apps
Project Testers (not until a later date)
Script writing
Map Building
Level Editing
Enviromental art
Programming
Software Engineering
Audion Engineering
Animation Artists
This should be translated into:
Designer
Designer
Programmer
Programmer
QA
Programmer
Designer
Designer
Artist
Programmer
Programmer
Programmer
Artist

Aka, so 13 'talents' that can be easily be noted into 4.
They're mostly the same thing.
Website
website is down but i have a attached a .zip file with the website inside. just run index.html and presto
Pardon me? Your site is supposed to work on the Internet, not on our Hard Disks/SSD's.
You want to have Spam in your Inbox, don't you?
Previous Work by Team
None.
Expect nothing then.
First Projects always start on your own, and the bigger your Portfolio becomes, the more people you can expect to work with you.
except for a highly detailed story line, script and plan for a fantasy action game
No experience + Trying to establish a Team = Planning to fail.
Project Info
Team name
evolutionite
You have a name already, good.
Project Name
fractal
Again, good.
Target Aim
retail
Wait, how do you ever want to sell a game, made by people with no experience?
And like you said afterwards, it's your hobby, and you're young, so you're better off not selling it, and shipping it for free, because of your age, and the fact you're not an Industry worker.
Compensation Plan
if the project succeeds i will offer 2.5% of profit from every game to each person
2,5% out of € 0,01?
Well, good luck!
Technology
i am planning to use unreal engine/udk. So the platform will be pc, xbox 360.720 and ps3/4
How do you want to Publish anything on an Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, or new Xbox, without being licensed at Sony nor Microsoft?
You'll need years of experience, in order to get licensed, and you'll need a license, in order to Publish anything on a Console, even if it's a simply "Hello World" thing.
Not counting Homebrew, of course.
By the way, if you want to Script on Unreal Engine or UDK, you'll rather not need a Programmer, as every idiot knows how it works.
Feedback
None
I understand this one.
Description

I am planning to make a game named fractal. I planned to do a kickstarter and then hire people but that would not be possible for me due to age. so if anybody wishes to help it would be much appreciated and would not go unheard. once the game is made and hopefully commercially released each person shall have a profit from the cut.
Once more, you're not working in the Games Industry, so chances to commercially release your game are 0.
Of course making the game would be possible, but you should really do everything on your own, without the commercial blabs.
Not even KickStarter could help you on it, you've easily spent € 10000,- on Age Ratings, Advertisements, Legal Paperwork, etc., before you even have your first line of Code written down.
Sending in ideas to companies would be possible, but they won't take requests from any unexperienced Designers.

Well, I wish you luck, the idea sounds good, but don't expect any help.

kaylin martin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks.
I am currently making a 2d version of the game with 1 level as a 'taster'. I have also created a few low-poly models in mudbox. I am going on to create a small teaser trailer. I am learning JavaScript to go on to unrealscript. I have 2 current programmers then Jordan for debbiging. I have 3-4 people in music and sfx. I will have an artist in the near future he is currently with a client.

Well that's all for now.
Thanks

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's Review this in steps.

Script? I assume you'll be using Game Maker?
Although Programmer and Designer goes well together, doing both will be a pain, trust me.
Not only you need to make 26 pages long GDD's, you as well need to Code all functions into the game.
In the end, you'll finish the game with RSI.

Aka, you can't do anything yourself?

This should be translated into:
Designer
Designer
Programmer
Programmer
QA
Programmer
Designer
Designer
Artist
Programmer
Programmer
Programmer
Artist

Aka, so 13 'talents' that can be easily be noted into 4.
They're mostly the same thing.

Pardon me? Your site is supposed to work on the Internet, not on our Hard Disks/SSD's.

You want to have Spam in your Inbox, don't you?

Expect nothing then.
First Projects always start on your own, and the bigger your Portfolio becomes, the more people you can expect to work with you.

No experience + Trying to establish a Team = Planning to fail.

You have a name already, good.

Again, good.

Wait, how do you ever want to sell a game, made by people with no experience?
And like you said afterwards, it's your hobby, and you're young, so you're better off not selling it, and shipping it for free, because of your age, and the fact you're not an Industry worker.

2,5% out of € 0,01?
Well, good luck!

How do you want to Publish anything on an Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, or new Xbox, without being licensed at Sony nor Microsoft?
You'll need years of experience, in order to get licensed, and you'll need a license, in order to Publish anything on a Console, even if it's a simply "Hello World" thing.
Not counting Homebrew, of course.
By the way, if you want to Script on Unreal Engine or UDK, you'll rather not need a Programmer, as every idiot knows how it works.

I understand this one.

Once more, you're not working in the Games Industry, so chances to commercially release your game are 0.
Of course making the game would be possible, but you should really do everything on your own, without the commercial blabs.
Not even KickStarter could help you on it, you've easily spent € 10000,- on Age Ratings, Advertisements, Legal Paperwork, etc., before you even have your first line of Code written down.
Sending in ideas to companies would be possible, but they won't take requests from any unexperienced Designers.

Well, I wish you luck, the idea sounds good, but don't expect any help.
A programmer doesn't do "Audion engineering". That's usually done by composers and sound engineers.

kaylin martin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your models are bad. study some anatomy if you you want to model people. observation alone it's not gonna make you fully understand what goes on under the skin. there should be some good videos on youtube.

don't jump straight to digital anatomy, the facility of software to churn out quick progress will make you skip important aspects of what you should be paying attention too. again study anatomy, find old school anatomy videos on youtube. they should start off with the skeletal system, then muscular then skin and features. I cannot stress anatomy enough

other than that don't get discourage by naysayers, it is completely possible to make an indie game at your age you just have to scale it to a manageable size and find people with skill and no life to join in.

get ready to be in it for the long haul. I've participated in 2 indie movies over the past 8 years and neither of them are complete.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
That, my son, is called, Audio Programming.
Engineering = Programming.
As a Game Programmer, I know where I'm talking about.

"Where I'm talking about"? And just because you've studied one aspect of game creation doesn't mean you're a master at them all.

Audio engineer = Sound engineer (Which is usually done by a composer/producer if you're on a small team)
Audio Programmer = Someone who writes software to edit audio such as a VST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_engineer

As a musician (and game programmer), I know where I'm talking about.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hows that kickstarter coming along? And if those are honestly your (highly) detailed models,
you are going to get eaten alive by kickstarter
actually just ignored to death. but you get the idea
PS high polygon count doesnt mean highly detailed. for what you have im sure you can easily drop the count to somewhere around 1 or 2000. lol

Reactions: Gahars

kaylin martin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hows that kickstarter coming along? And if those are honestly your (highly) detailed models,
you are going to get eaten alive by kickstarter
actually just ignored to death. but you get the idea
PS high polygon count doesnt mean highly detailed. for what you have im sure you can easily drop the count to somewhere around 1 or 2000. lol

not highly detailed by any means. But it's a start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."