Hacking Gateway will fix any bricked 3DS for free, as long as you're not lying!

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Now you can see again, they lie:

IMPORTANT: ALL returns must include your Nintendo 3DS, GATEWAY RED CARD and your SD CARD. Any incomplete return will be handled as above, with a $100 shipping and handling fee to return the console & accessories.
In addition to the console GW red card and SD card if possible please copy your Nand backup file to the SD card , if not possible we will do our best to recover your unit, but it is considerably harder for us.

This was not there before.

Source: http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?id=RKSID00000000000000001547&cat=DS

Reactions: tjexp

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Or, in hindsight, they realized some accidental bricks might not be due to eMMC register reconfiguration but actual firmware corruption on the physical NAND?

The first could be solved without the nand backup file (a simple reconfiguration of the controller register will not have destroyed the actual data on the storage package), the second couldn't.

There needn't be any nefarious purpose behind the modification of the announcement.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They made a mistake and did not ask for the NAND backup first. That was an indication for a hardware brick. Now they edited it to let all think is has nothing to do with hardware.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They made a mistake and did not ask for the NAND backup first. That was an indication for a hardware brick. Now they edited it to let all think is has nothing to do with hardware.
I'll just repost the relevant sentence from my previous post to explain their edit:

"Or, in hindsight, they realized some accidental bricks might not be due to eMMC register reconfiguration but actual firmware corruption on the physical NAND?"

I.E. perhaps they are supposing not all of the potential gateway bricks are of the same type and one of the types of bricks requires the NAND backup to fix while the other doesn't. At first, they thought only the type that doesn't could potentially exist, but then they reconsidered that position.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
View attachment 5935

Check the time stamp on the file last being modified. IIRC the region free patch came out on the 28th. Granted he could have changed his computers system time and this could all be an elaborate ruse by these "cheap Chinese factory workers who are hired to sully the glorious Gateway name" but that's highly unlikely. Be reasonable here and actually use your brain.
not that I think he is lying, the code is in the launcher so a small thing has to go wrong and it can brick a legitimate user (although it is very unlikely, but with the amount of users of gateway I am not surprised).

but the date and time from that file is exactly the release time and day (so modified date), so what you are saying doesn't make any sense. He indeed just could have downloaded the file and let this show, as it will always show the same date.

in fact, I thought when installing emunand with the launcher (or updating), the date of the launcher would change to something strange (like year 63) or something, but I could be wrong

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And if that is the case?

Ok, i go more in detail. We are not 100% sure, if they do this, but it seems they most likely change "something", so only Gateway is able to "recover" this.

That was already a big spoiler.

the-green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Why don't they show people how to fix their 3DS/3DS XL them self's ??
As I knew, reading, wrinting the 3DS Nand isn't too hard (4 or 6 soldering points), so we just need a tool & the necessary code.

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why would they tell people how to fix it when they're sure that a minimal amount of legit Gateway users were affected(They say 100% sure that none were affected)? The only people who would benefit from knowing how to fix it themselves are the modified launcher/clone users, if there are any legit bricked users, they're getting it repaired for free anyway.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, every brick with the same error code is a hardware brick.
again, you missed the essence of my post!

Perhaps they've been in communication with individuals who have gotten a different error code brick and are offering repairs on these too.

Get it now?

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basicly Gateway scared competitiors by 'kill code' the newest launcher. file

Now they are scaring them again by displaying a customers hospitality to Gateway users, and a pitchfork up the butt to people who bought competitors flashcarts . Yeah... this is the new console war - well homebrew console war :

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a chance that it triggers, that's why.

No it's not a chance - once the random number generator is seeded its output is deterministic - every console will have the same behaviour when the random number test is encountered.

According to profi200's pseudocode they seem to only test 4 bits - so 1 in 16 chance of the random number test being true given an arbitrary seed

So if it is seeded on system datetime - then we would expect 1 in 16 bricked consoles early on (and eventually 100%)

But the info on the bricking routine is very flaky - and I've seen it mentioned that the random number generator is seeded with the modification date of launcher.dat - in that case 100% of clones with updated firmware should have bricked immediately (or none)

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they tell people how to fix it when they're sure that a minimal amount of legit Gateway users were affected(They say 100% sure that none were affected)? The only people who would benefit from knowing how to fix it themselves are the modified launcher/clone users, if there are any legit bricked users, they're getting it repaired for free anyway.

Why fucking shouldn't they tell people how to unbrick their consoles? If their malicious code caused the bricks, then they at least let everyone know (legit and cloner alike) how to unbrick it if, if some sort of method exists.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that clone users are some sort of criminals that don't deserve any help, which is complete BS. This has become a grave issue that the entire 3ds scene is talking about, and each day that Gateway does nothing to remedy it is lowering their reputation more and more.

And I still don't believe that the GW team will dig into their own cash just to replace consoles that they can't fix, that's why they made an update asking for NAND backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!