Hacking Gateway update regarding rumors

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Its a super scummy and despicable business tactic, no question.
But it is still a 100% the Clone Manufacturers fault.

It could be the clone manufacturers' fault in one way, but this is just as much blamed on the Gateway team.

To the some other people on this and other threads:
Many people, me included, own quite a few different flash carts. If someone honestly says that the only potential customers for the Gateway are people without a clone cart/Gateway, I've got news for you. I've had (and still have) 4 different, completely working DS flashcarts. I bought them years apart, with some even offering the same user experience with a different interface or add-ons. I was perfectly pleased with the CycloDS at the time, but I still bought the DSTwo, AK2i and even an original R4. Because I could try them out. Now if this same thing happened at the same time, I'd have a bricked DS, since I used a modded loader on the AK2i (AKAIO) and R4 (WoodR4 IIRC). At that point, would I ever consider buying a card from the company creating a bricking firmware (albeit for clones only)? Probably no..

They aren't punishing their consumers, they're punishing clone cart consumers.

And that makes it just fine?

Reactions: NEP and Queno138

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
And that makes it just fine?

I'm sorry, I was in the midst of editing my point ><

It doesn't make it fine, I'm just pointing out that in the grand scheme of things,
their* target audience to be bricked isn't their own consumers.

Despicable, but they'll be taken seriously now.

Think of it as some form of propaganda.

As I've mentioned earlier, if we want to enjoy their services, we are under their control.

Else, users have to create their own code...

Reactions: Qtis

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I remember when R4i properly reversed GW's launcher and tested to the point they achieved a completely stable release. Gateway was so mad that they hacked the R4i and 3DS Link website to replace the launcher file of the clones with a bricker code and R4i couldn't do anything about it. That was a terrible move.

Reactions: gamesquest1

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I remember when R4i properly reversed GW's launcher and tested to the point they achieved a completely stable release. Gateway was so mad that they hacked the R4i and 3DS Link website to replace the launcher file of the clones with a bricker code and R4i couldn't do anything about it. That was a terrible move.

from 3ds to the internetz well thats really great (when are they going to hack google)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well to be fair gateway have no reason to defend or protect people who bought clones, if anything there is an actual valid reason to target them.....the clone users are the same people who go around forums saying how great the r4i is and how it gets everything gateway does but it's cheaper.....it's funny where have all the clone fanboys disappeared to? Only a few days ago you would get certain character popping up saying circle jerk as often as he could in 30 seconds( I think that guys has mental problems tbh) lets just say it's not the nicest way to achieve a goal but it's achieved it non the less

And in a much more clear cut way....if they had just blocked the clones from future updates....the clones would just keep making empty promises that they will release soon to carry on getting sales, this was a bold harsh move but it sent the clones reeling

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think any gateway users would use a clone firmware that is exactly the same menu as the menu they have except they have removed the gateway logo, not to mention it wouldn't even work with their card so it's a double pointless point to make
I'm not a consumer of any of the carts, so I wasn't sure as to the extent of the customisation. Yes, it's unlikely, but there could be people out there who wanted to verify the claims of clones and test "competing" launchers out for themselves on their Gateway cards. Gateway couldn't possibly predict that this scenario won't happen.

Once again it is not gateways responsibility to provide a universally safe menu for people who do nothing except copy and claim work is their own and profit from that work that took gateway months to achieve, yeah it's bad that users got effected....but if the clones did their single very very basic job properly which is to test what they are releasing none of this would of happened. But no it's all gateways fault apparently that
A) the clones are copying their code
B) the clones are too stupid to notice the brick code while they go about disabling the security on the firmware
C) test the code properly before they just release it to consumers
D) that people just buy the cheapest option without looking into why its cheap
E) that clone users believe they had won some battle against the very people who made the work they where using

Should I go on?
Please, feel free. I stopped reading at "it is not gateways responsibility to provide a universally safe menu", anyway. Once again, you made it sound like Gateway is innocent and this was all an unhappy accident caused by modified launchers. I'm not sure if you're missing the fact that Gateway made a conscious decision to brick consoles running a modified version of their launcher. We still don't know the exact trigger, ie date or time, for the bricking routine, so it's possible that the clone manufacturer's tested vigorously but the bricking routine wasn't activated until after their testing.

Gateway can do what they like with their code in terms of traps or copy protection.........it's their code if you don't like it don't use it
Most people wouldn't even know they were "using it", and that's why it's so unjust. I know a lot of people who bought R4 cards from market stalls and they had no idea they were really using clones. Are you saying that kind of person deserves to have their hardware bricked?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a bit of proof that they don't test anything....in the fact they released 3 "revisions" in the space of a week......every brick pretty much happened within a week, so one week thoroughly testing the firmware with multiple reboots etc would probably picked up the error and they could of saved their consumers from getting hit

But nope they would prefer to try build up some imaginary rep, as being only a week behind gateway at all steps

After the bricks happened it only took devs a few hours to notice the possibility and a day to confirm the code itself, so of the clones had any sort of knowledge at all they too should of spotted the code, but nope they just blindly left it to THEIR customers to find out

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Most people wouldn't even know they were "using it", and that's why it's so unjust. I know a lot of people who bought R4 cards from market stalls and they had no idea they were really using clones. Are you saying that kind of person deserves to have their hardware bricked?
Here, Chinese physical shops sell DS flashcards, but just R4s, because people don't know about anything else (they know what an "R4" is, but not a "flashcard"). Also, this way they can overprice them (since R4s are all cheap clones) and make easy money from the unaware customers (mostly children or their parents, other kinds of people would inform themselves better on the internet).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have already said that yeah it's a bit harsh but you still can't blame gateway for the fact the clone makers have so little respect for their customers that they would lie and risk their own customers 3ds's for the sake of trying to appear that they are doing their own work

Ilogis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Can you stop posting numerous posts about the matter when your knowledge is easily recognized as minimal even by a noob myself?
GW team does not hold responsibility blahblah.... Ok we get that.

They wrote the fucking malicious code, not many care about your random rants.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hmmm new member surprise surprise

Obviously people don't get it or they wouldn't still being crying about how gateway could possibly do it to the poor clones.

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is a distinction there. Whether or not you can see it is a different issue.

Copying someone else's work is one thing. Copying their work, and then selling and profiting off of it while claiming it to be your own work, is entirely another.

To reiterate, not saying that that Gateway's actions were justified, just that all morality shouldn't be immediately thrown out the door simply because piracy is involved.

I know they're not complaining, but they're probably not very happy either, which is understandable (and amusing). I also know it's not exactly the same thing as copying and saying it's yours, but it's pretty close... For the record, I don't like people who clone other peoples work and claim it as their own, but I also don't like devices like Gateway, which sole purpose is to provide cheapskates with illegal games and no homebrew.

Reactions: NEP

Lunai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't this like total war?
Destroying not just the opposing side, but also destroying everything and everyone that was on that side, innocent or guilty?

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I was in the midst of editing my point ><

It doesn't make it fine, I'm just pointing out that in the grand scheme of things,
their* target audience to be bricked isn't their own consumers.

Despicable, but they'll be taken seriously now.

Think of it as some form of propaganda.

As I've mentioned earlier, if we want to enjoy their services, we are under their control.

Else, users have to create their own code...

Their target may not be their own consumers, but if something like a simple checksum fail can activate the booby trap, eventually some of their own consumers will have their devices destroyed, either because they were trying to run custom software on the Gateway card or they simply had the bad luck to experience a bad contact, random quantum fluctuation, or stray high energy photon that changed a bit somewhere.

In any case, putting anti-piracy measures intended to commit vandalism is probably not only something they would be civilly liable for, but may be felony vandalism in the United States. Given how they have attempted to stay anonymous and operate out of an area that is fairly immune to western laws (presumably mainland China), it might be difficult to get them into a court room or enforce a judgement against them. The irony is, they are a company that is primarily profiting off of pirating the intellectual works of others, intellectual works that are still being sold new and in their primary profit phase and they are being very aggressive toward pirates of their own software.

Imagine if the latest 3DS game destroyed gateway cards or the users 3DS? You would not see that type of behavior from legitimate companies.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their target may not be their own consumers, but if something like a simple checksum fail can activate the booby trap, eventually some of their own consumers will have their devices destroyed, either because they were trying to run custom software on the Gateway card or they simply had the bad luck to experience a bad contact, random quantum fluctuation, or stray high energy photon that changed a bit somewhere.

Not quite. There is a certain order the commands in the loader are done.

if: Checksum matches
-Bricker = false
if: Checksum doesn't match
-Exit Menu
--Crash 3DS
-Bricker = True
Load menu

What most flashcart cloners are doing is probably disabling the commands exit menu and crash 3ds.
Legitimate gateway users are completely safe. I was so sure of myself that I took my launcher and edited a few bytes and tried, multiple times, to see if it would brick.
Different bytes changed each time, result, no brick.

So the only ones to blame are the people using modified launchers instead of creating their own.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Once again...the first post answers pretty much all questions......but nope the gateway firmware won't run if it detects that it's edited/corrupted/modified......unless security check have been disabled.....in which case someone have to consciously disable these checks....corrupt SD card bad reads etc should just result in a black screen requiring a reboot

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a bit of proof that they don't test anything....in the fact they released 3 "revisions" in the space of a week......every brick pretty much happened within a week, so one week thoroughly testing the firmware with multiple reboots etc would probably picked up the error and they could of saved their consumers from getting hit

But nope they would prefer to try build up some imaginary rep, as being only a week behind gateway at all steps

After the bricks happened it only took devs a few hours to notice the possibility and a day to confirm the code itself, so of the clones had any sort of knowledge at all they too should of spotted the code, but nope they just blindly left it to THEIR customers to find out
They may not have done a weeks worth of constant testing (which is kind of silly to ask anyway - if you tried every feature on every setup a few times and everything is working, there's usually no reason to randomly wait a week), but even if they did, it would NOT HAVE HELPED. The brick is random, so chances are high it would not have bricked the test machines.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well if everyone read the first page....there would be about 2 pages on this thread

And that answers every question put forward for the past 17 pages
"Not caring" means "we don't do anything for or against them". Bricking their consoles is caring, and very much so (in a negative way). And you're covering yourself with ridicule with this attitude, I'd understand if one was being paid, but I really can't understand die-hard fanboys (of whatever product).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro