Hacking GATEWAY ULTRA 3.0.2 PUBLIC BETA

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
im no better or worse off for importing, except i got it like 2 months early....the uk price is exactly the same as what i payed on 365 games.....it just meant i knew for certain i was getting one on 9.0-9.2.......yeah we know now that EU/US consoles are probably safe....but what would of happened to the prices if it would of turned out not to be the case?

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only the system menu. GW is region free so you can play US dumps on your JP N3DS. For $40, I'll deal with Japanese system menus and bonus access to Japanese eshop.
Except that multilanguage games that set the language according to your console should play in Japanese with no way of changing that. And the menus, messages, built-in apps and Miiverse (including posts) will all be in Japanese. And you won't be able to install updates for your non-Japanese games until someone uploads .cias for them.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im no better or worse off for importing, except i got it like 2 months early....the uk price is exactly the same as what i payed on 365 games.....it just meant i knew for certain i was getting one on 9.0-9.2.......yeah we know now that EU/US consoles are probably safe....but what would of happened to the prices if it would of turned out not to be the case?

Import prices would increase a bit even for the Japanese N3DS, especially from the popular import sites like playasia (already price gouging IMO) and nippon-yasan. AmazonJP would likely be the best option at that point for a Japanese N3DS.

Except that multilanguage games that set the language according to your console should play in Japanese with no way of changing that. And the Miiverse (including posts) and built-in apps will all be in Japanese.
Which games would that be? Any US releases you can name? If US games were never meant to be played on a JP 3DS what ends up happening? Do games really get forced to Japanese with no way around it?

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Import prices would increase a bit even for the Japanese N3DS, especially from the popular import sites like playasia (already price gouging IMO) and nippon-yasan. AmazonJP would likely be the best option at that point for a Japanese N3DS.

Which games would that be? Any US releases you can name? If US games were never meant to be played on a JP 3DS what ends up happening? Do games really get forced to Japanese with no way around it?
I don't know of any specific examples. But I recall people lamenting that American 3DS don't let you set the system language like European ones, because some games set their language based on that and don't let players manually change it.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know of any specific examples. But I recall people lamenting that American 3DS don't let you set the system language like European ones, because some games set their language based on that and don't let players manually change it.

But does this apply to US games played on Japanese consoles? That would be really odd since the 3DS isn't even meant to be region free so why would they have a system in place where a US game would recognize a Japanese 3DS and force it to use Japanese (If the game has the option for that language in the first place).

It makes sense since EU has many languages, Japan and US don't. I did see a video recently though of someone playing a Japanese rom on a US console and the game displayed in english so maybe your theory holds water and something I should be aware of.

edit: I asked in the noob thread so maybe someone has the answer to this. Lots of people on here imported a Japanese N3DS with the intention of playing US/EU games on it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this update doesn't directly concern me, I can't understand why anyone would consider a wider range of support a bad thing.
Who knows, maybe something will come out of this that will benefit everyone else. Imagine if some people from these regions begin developing homebrew as a result of getting this support.

Reactions: Azel

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I got an aus N3DSXL and still saved 25-30€ compared to prices for a french system on feb13th...

I did toy with the idea of saving even more (and get access to the jp eshop) and getting a jp system, since gateway is region free and my jp knowledge is ok, but I guess my gf will be using the system too from time to time, she knows how to use stuff the right way (not update stuff etc) and go around, but she has no written jp knowledge at all, and I simply don't wanna risk it for the fact of saving 20-30€ more. (also game updates and forced jp in eu/us roms could be annoying)

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But does this apply to US games played on Japanese consoles? That would be really odd since the 3DS isn't even meant to be region free so why would they have a system in place where a US game would recognize a Japanese 3DS and force it to use Japanese (If the game has the option for that language in the first place).
It's not a matter of recognizing a Japanese console as much as the game being told that Japanese is the system's language when it requests this information. Some games are coded to be the same in all regions (region locking aside), so they use that information alone to determine the language displayed.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a matter of recognizing a Japanese console as much as the game being told that Japanese is the system's language when it requests this information. Some games are coded the be the same in all regions (region locking aside), so they use that information alone to determine the language displayed.

Ok, so does anyone know what games do this? Does anyone have a Japanese 3DS and GW/sky3ds that might know?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls +1