Hacking Gateway Reliability Feedback

Has your Gateway 3DS Experienced Technical Issues?

• Total voters
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm also having the 'game card removed' error, as soon as I launch a game.

3DS XL running 4.5.09 (updated via legit australian copy of luigi's mansion 2).

The cart worked for an hour or so, played 2 games and both worked. Was playing a 3rd game which launched fine, but while it was sitting on the title screen it gave the 'game card removed' error. Pressing home freezes the console on a blank screen.
Now any game I put on a (sandisk ultra 8GB) shows on the home screen, but as soon as I launch it I get the error.

Things i've tried:
-Formatted both the microsd and the 3DS's SD card with panasonic formatter
-Recopied the launcher.dat to the SD card
-Tried both the games that worked previously plus several others
-Re-installed the hack via the blue card
-Run a DS mode game to wipe the DS profile then re-installed the hack again
-Tried another microsd card that also worked previously
-Cleaned the contacts on the gateway and microsd
-Ejected and re-inserted the gateway and microsd many times (always treating the gateway as a spring loaded slot)
-2 different USB card readers that work for all other purposes, plus the inbuilt SD card reader on my laptop via the microsd->SD adaptor that came with the sandisk ultra card.

Looks to be a failed cart, will need to contact RHS for a replacement. Ahh well, the risks you take with early batches of 'questionable' hardware I guess.

MrXela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, im new to waiting for the modchip/flashcart to be fully working. I got my m3 DS Real Chip as a gift on silver platter :3 anyway, does the Gateway now offer saving features? On the gateway site it says it doesnt but then in a video I found on YouTube showing and saying you can save. I don't know if its safe to believe. Can someone please help me? :P

f0rCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, im new to waiting for the modchip/flashcart to be fully working. I got my m3 DS Real Chip as a gift on silver platter :3 anyway, does the Gateway now offer saving features? On the gateway site it says it doesnt but then in a video I found on YouTube showing and saying you can save. I don't know if its safe to believe. Can someone please help me? :P

Yes, you're able to save with the Gateway3DS. Just push the home button and press x instead of using the power button when you finish to play.

In this time the save file will be written to the internal SD card in the 3ds.

If you start the game again later, the save will be automatically loaded from the sd-card and you will be able to load your last save point.

One time a game freezed (Cave Story 3D) when i was pushing the home-button. I thought: Damn. Everything's lost now. Btw it was the first time i played it, but when i started the game again, the save was there! :)

So i think it's already transfered to the sd-card if you push the home button only! But i can't guarantee that. ;)

MrXela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you're able to save with the Gateway3DS. Just push the home button and press x instead of using the power button when you finish to play.

In this time the save file will be written to the internal SD card in the 3ds.

If you start the game again later, the save will be automatically loaded from the sd-card and you will be able to load your last save point.

One time a game freezed (Cave Story 3D) when i was pushing the home-button. I thought: Damn. Everything's lost now. Btw it was the first time i played it, but when i started the game again, the save was there! :)

So i think it's already transfered to the sd-card if you push the home button only! But i can't guarantee that. ;)

alright thanks a lot man! also another quick question, since its 1 game per card can i have Mario Kart for example on the sd card then put the sd card in the computer and replace the game and savefiles and then play the game or will that stuff up the system?

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a gateway through realhotstuff a few days ago when they stated they had a few units left. Turns out I'm now on the back order list. Hopefully whatever manufacturing issues there are will be sorted out with their newer releases.

f0rCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
alright thanks a lot man! also another quick question, since its 1 game per card can i have Mario Kart for example on the sd card then put the sd card in the computer and replace the game and savefiles and then play the game or will that stuff up the system?

It's always a new save file for every game on the sd card inside the 3ds. The games on the microSD inside the gateway card can be changed as often as you want because the save file remains on the sd card (not the microSD).

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi again, I contacted 3ds-flashcard.com and they wrote back to me rather quickly. After a series of e-mails with a man named Jose trying to get more information about my problem, he asked me to take a few pictures of my device and the problem I have. He then said that he would exchange the product for me as soon as I send it back to him. I am releived that he will be honoring his guaranteed.

That being said, sending the flashcart back to him will be on my own expense and I am not guaranteed that he will send me a new one quickly. In fact, I suspect that he will send it via regular mail so that is another 2-3 weeks. Sending it back with tracking will cost me around $15 so the gateway now has set me back over $100 canadian dollars. I still think that dealing with 3ds-flashcart.com was relatively positive given the quick response I received. I just hope they will trully put me on the top of their priority delivery list once they get a new batch since I have been more than patient and I have spent much more money then most people for the flash card. I will update people as i recieve more news

MrXela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's always a new save file for every game on the sd card inside the 3ds. The games on the microSD inside the gateway card can be changed as often as you want because the save file remains on the sd card (not the microSD).
alright thanks a lot man I really appreciate the help you've given me a lot! I plan to buy one within the next 3 weeks since that is the case :D

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious if you guys are all using v1.1 or are some of you using v1.0.....I ask this because I started playing Castlevania LOS from my region when I first got my card using v1.1. Within about 30 minutes I got a freeze. I decided I would switch back to v1.0 becaues I figured it had been tested and used by Gateway a lot longer and was doing less to hack the system firmware. I have now played Castlevania LOS to like the 3rd act and 15 hours or something and never had another freeze. I would say if you aren't really using the version and region spoofing for a game it may be well worth trying to use v1.0 as I think it may be more stable....just a thought. I have also played a few other games to the tune of a few hours and no other freezes.

johnnywalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am curious if you guys are all using v1.1 or are some of you using v1.0.....I ask this because I started playing Castlevania LOS from my region when I first got my card using v1.1. Within about 30 minutes I got a freeze. I decided I would switch back to v1.0 becaues I figured it had been tested and used by Gateway a lot longer and was doing less to hack the system firmware. I have now played Castlevania LOS to like the 3rd act and 15 hours or something and never had another freeze. I would say if you aren't really using the version and region spoofing for a game it may be well worth trying to use v1.0 as I think it may be more stable....just a thought. I have also played a few other games to the tune of a few hours and no other freezes.
4.5.0-10 E - v1.1 - Castlevania (E) - Sandisk 4 GB Ultra Class 4 - no freezes, no issues at all.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
after run gateway test Reset the GW onboard SPI FLASH, mine seem work better .... more test on the way

now seem working great even new super mario 2 is working now ...

Reactions: tjexp
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can confirm that the basic diagnostics (didn't need the 1gb file) has gotten my cart working again (for now at least). No more 'the game card has been removed' error. :)

As Spzjulien said, more testing required to see if its a permanent fix.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can confirm that the basic diagnostics (didn't need the 1gb file) has gotten my cart working again (for now at least). No more 'the game card has been removed' error. :)

As Spzjulien said, more testing required to see if its a permanent fix.

data corruption rom bullshit ... seem the gateway need Reset GW SPI FLASH to work well
because rom EURO or US like new super mario and mario land 3D was not working for me, now seem working well for me ....

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
data corruption rom bullshit ... seem the gateway need Reset GW SPI FLASH to work well
because rom EURO or US like new super mario and mario land 3D was not working for me, now seem working well for me ....

It does seem like a issue with the logic of the gateway and not a microsd/ROM issue, as the same ROMs on the same Microsds written via the same card reader worked before the error started occurring and after the diagnostics mode was run.
If they fix the bugs, I really dont mind if they try to deflect some blame to other components.

Perhaps somehow a crap microsd can cause the cart to require the diagnostics mode reset, only time and some testing will tell :)

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It does seem like a issue with the logic of the gateway and not a microsd/ROM issue, as the same ROMs on the same Microsds written via the same card reader worked before the error started occurring and after the diagnostics mode was run.
If they fix the bugs, I really dont mind if they try to deflect some blame to other components.

Perhaps somehow a crap microsd can cause the cart to require the diagnostics mode reset, only time and some testing will tell :)

agreed :P

longgt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After i ran a basic diagnostics (press L while choose Nintendo DS Profile with red GW cart in 3DS, without the 1GB file), i got a constant green LED on GW cart, but the 3ds stuck with black/gray screens (with wifi, date and battery indicators on the top screen).
What should i do now? And the result like that means my cart is good, isn't it? :unsure:
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good