Hacking Gateway Reliability Feedback

Has your Gateway 3DS Experienced Technical Issues?

• Total voters

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the recent posts from multiple users discussing incidents of rom freezing or save corruption I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to see if this is a rare occurrence or not (ideally this will alleviate concerns over purchasing a gateway, or bring up the possibility of flawed gateway carts). Also if problems occur please post a reply with the brand of micro SD used. Perhaps all users will share the issue of using a low quality micro sd card (or reader).

Rainbowsixvegas6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The first gateway I purchased the blue card would not work at all. It definitely was defective. The red card worked fine. Then I purchased another one from modchipcentral in which both the red and blue card worked fine also.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thread is about documenting problems with GW3DS

"Everything's fine!"

Genius...
Correction. Thread is about GW3DS' reliability. OP even stated that he/she wanted to see if the various issues are rare or otherwise. Therefore, the (closest to) ideal data sample should include those who had no issues as well, or risk misrepresenting the proportion of faulty GW3DS compared to the entire pool available. Hell, having no issues is even one of the options stated.

Genius...

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Everythings working fine for me. I've even tried using a class 2, 2gb micro sd on mario kart 7. I've had no troubles what so ever. Very happy with it

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my gateway yesterday, and I love it. I only have LoZ OOT 3D but I can always get more later. Hopefully they'll make it to where you only need 1 or 2 sd cards as opposed to multiple.

Niksy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Correction. Thread is about GW3DS' reliability. OP even stated that he/she wanted to see if the various issues are rare or otherwise. Therefore, the (closest to) ideal data sample should include those who had no issues as well, or risk misrepresenting the proportion of faulty GW3DS compared to the entire pool available. Hell, having no issues is even one of the options stated.

Genius...

If a lot of people started bitching about problems then it would be safe to say GW3DS has problems. Yet, so far, this thread has only 1 post concerning an issue. Without the stupid "Everything works guys!" posts the thread would be more useful. No need for 50 guys to spam that it's working and bury the post from the 1 guy that has problems.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If a lot of people started bitching about problems then it would be safe to say GW3DS has problems. Yet, so far, this thread has only 1 post concerning an issue. Without the stupid "Everything works guys!" posts the thread would be more useful. No need for 50 guys to spam that it's working and bury the post from the 1 guy that has problems.
Useful is very subjective. Sure it may bury the said person's post but that would also indicate that QC for the product is somewhat reliable, which is the aim of the thread to start with. To the person with the issue, this thread may not be useful but to others who have yet to purchase it and want to gauge the probability of getting a faulty unit, this would be heaps useful.

But I digress. Since both of us are already offtopic, I suggest we end this right here and now. You may still disagree with my point of view and vice versa, but all that is irrelevant now.

Reactions: Xarsah16

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the best is try to test thoses game we got trouble like new super mario 2... ect ...
because some game work well like DK 3D and mario luigi dream, zelda ....

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people's problems are corrupt roms, they are trying to use the trim tool to get stuff to fit on a smaller card, possiblity cheap below class 4 SD cards or as gateway suggested fragmenation of the 3DS SD card. I now have 14 MicroSD cards ranging in size from 2GB to 16GB and from class 2 to class 10. I will be doing a lot of testing once I get my unit on Monday so will report back anything useful. If someone knows of a problematic rom then post it here so I can test that one on faster/higher quality flash cards to see if it makes a difference. I know on the DS a few games were always very problematic and would either not run or chug....Castlevania POR needed a fast card to even launch and DK Mario Minis would get bad slow down if not on a very fast card (I had to use a class 10 to get it to run right). I would say the sample size is still awfully small considering so few people have gotten their units yet but in the coming weeks this thread should be more useful. It is also important that people with no issues answers the poll so we can get a ratio of people with problems vs people with no problems.

Reactions: TheDreamLord

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people's problems are corrupt roms, they are trying to use the trim tool to get stuff to fit on a smaller card, possiblity cheap below class 4 SD cards or as gateway suggested fragmenation of the 3DS SD card. I now have 14 MicroSD cards ranging in size from 2GB to 16GB and from class 2 to class 10. I will be doing a lot of testing once I get my unit on Monday so will report back anything useful. If someone knows of a problematic rom then post it here so I can test that one on faster/higher quality flash cards to see if it makes a difference. I know on the DS a few games were always very problematic and would either not run or chug....Castlevania POR needed a fast card to even launch and DK Mario Minis would get bad slow down if not on a very fast card (I had to use a class 10 to get it to run right). I would say the sample size is still awfully small considering so few people have gotten their units yet but in the coming weeks this thread should be more useful. It is also important that people with no issues answers the poll so we can get a ratio of people with problems vs people with no problems.
From what I read here, multiple here have had problems with NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land. I would try those first. But luckily I bought a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk, so I don't expect to have any problems.

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
My thread over here sums up some of the issue that the Chinese users are having.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-crashes-when-game-starts.353444/

The most common issues are

1) MicroSD caused the game doesn't work (solved this by getting a good one or format)
2) Gateway is faulty (there are many reports that after exchanging a new red card GW works like a charm). I belong to this category.
3) Gateway works for a while and then failed to work (some reported that the gateway gets too hot).
4) There are also users reporting their save game tend to corrupt on games like Mario Super Bros 2 and Fire Emblem.

From what I read here, multiple here have had problems with NSMB2 and Super Mario 3D Land. I would try those first. But luckily I bought a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk, so I don't expect to have any problems.

Mario 3D land usually freeze when you complete the stage.
Some reported NSMB2 having issues when you are saving.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i play euro mario land 3d trimed rom, no problem so far on first world, new super mario 2 ... got too much trouble with, the usa roms seem work better on my euro 3ds (not trimed rom)

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thread over here sums up some of the issue that the Chinese users are having.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-crashes-when-game-starts.353444/

The most common issues are

1) MicroSD caused the game doesn't work (solved this by getting a good one or format)
2) Gateway is faulty (there are many reports that after exchanging a new red card GW works like a charm). I belong to this category.
3) Gateway works for a while and then failed to work (some reported that the gateway gets too hot).
4) There are also users reporting their save game tend to corrupt on games like Mario Super Bros 2 and Fire Emblem.

Mario 3D land usually freeze when you complete the stage.
Some reported NSMB2 having issues when you are saving.

The Gateway card gets too hot at times? Is this a problem the Gateway team has acknowledged? If so I'll be interested to see if newer batches experience the same problem. Also can you post a listing of the games which have experienced save corruption issues the most?

Honestly Gateway reminds me of a console release. You should avoid buying within the first few months if possible, as issues are most likely to occur within this time frame. After enough time passes subsequent releases tend to fix most major issues.

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
The Gateway card gets too hot at times? Is this a problem the Gateway team has acknowledged? If so I'll be interested to see if newer batches experience the same problem. Also can you post a listing of the games which have experienced save corruption issues the most?

Honestly Gateway reminds me of a console release. You should avoid buying within the first few months if possible, as issues are most likely to occur within this time frame. After enough time passes subsequent releases tend to fix most major issues.

I am pretty sure your gateway card will get heated up...
Whether how hot it is i have no idea because i could never progress any game too far.
The most i could ever play is 5 minutes. You can touch your SD card and the chip to feel it :>

I had only seen people complaining on the following games:-
-Monster Hunter
-Fire Emblem
-New Super Mario Bros 2
-Metal Gear Solid
-Super Robot Wars

The cause could be their microSD card? no idea...

However, gateway can't deny that their card do have some quality issue.
A seller i spoke to this morning told me that every 100 card there will be a few which is faulty.
My tip is get your seller to test the gateway card before they send it to you.
Refuse to buy if any seller is not willing to test it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-