Hacking Gateway Reliability Feedback

Has your Gateway 3DS Experienced Technical Issues?

• Total voters

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty sure your gateway card will get heated up...
Whether how hot it is i have no idea because i could never progress any game too far.
The most i could ever play is 5 minutes. You can touch your SD card and the chip to feel it :>

I had only seen people complaining on the following games:-
-Monster Hunter
-Fire Emblem
-New Super Mario Bros 2
-Metal Gear Solid
-Super Robot Wars

The cause could be their microSD card? no idea...

However, gateway can't deny that their card do have some quality issue.
A seller i spoke to this morning told me that every 100 card there will be a few which is faulty.
My tip is get your seller to test the gateway card before they send it to you.
Refuse to buy if any seller is not willing to test it.

So are the issues with Fire Emblem save related or gameplay freezing related? The other four games I don't really care about, but Fire Emblem is one of the games on my must play list. Another thing I'm curious about is whether most of these faulty cards are coming from the same reseller. Ideally this is a problem only effecting people buying from a certain store or two. I think I might wait until an SD based exploit is released. Then we don't have to worry about the possibility of a faulty card ruining gameplay experiences. Hopefully we get one before the end of the year.

Kingfield

Trophies
XP
Country
my game and system in general have frozen quite a few times, it's normally when i switch from game -> another application or vice versa. Not too big of a deal. My GAMEs themselves have only actually frozen once, so overall i'm not too fussed

MrChildren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Those are games that people having problem on save game.
The interesting part of the whole thing is not everyone is reporting a save corruption on these games.
Only some players are reporting. The disturbing part is it happens after days or hours of playing.

Symptom of a faulty red card, you will usually get a freeze or being boot out from game follow with an error message
-Loading the game
-Creating a system save or save
-Cut scene
-First 3-5 minutes randomly in the game

Before determine you have a faulty red card try these steps

Step 1
-Make sure your microSD card is at least class 4 to class 10, get a branded microSD not clone/brandless
-Format your microSD card and rewrite the rom to your microSD card.
-Clean the contact of the red card with alcohol / insert and reject the red card a few times

Step2
-If freeze still occur then try download the rom from another source.
-Check whether the freeze also happens on other game.
-Try it on another microSD card (prefer different brand/class)

Step 3
-Ask for a refund / exchange

my game and system in general have frozen quite a few times, it's normally when i switch from game -> another application or vice versa. Not too big of a deal. My GAMEs themselves have only actually frozen once, so overall i'm not too fussed

Agree, having same problem!
I realised i will always get a freeze when going into my Camera.
This only happens after i used the blue card exploit.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine works fine with a patriot 8GB class 4, samsung 16GB class 2 and kingston 4GB class 4.

Though there is the rare occasion where the 3ds wont recognize it, no real pattern behind it but taking it out and back in two or more times usually fixes it.

Reactions: f0rCe

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i try with fews different sd card even sandisk ultra class 10 64gb ... and full format ... cleaning gateway .... same problem
gateway suxx .... im tired abt this product, ist really not fun at all ....
even game, that was working well start to freeze like luigi an dk 3d, so loose save ...

Marceloide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a Problem with mario Kart 7,i can't play the flower cup..when i selected kart and clicked ready i get black screen,i can play ether other cups but not that one lol

Reactions: Spzjulien

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a Problem with mario Kart 7,i can't play the flower cup..when i selected kart and clicked ready i get black screen,i can play ether other cups but not that one lol

im not the only one to have trouble with gateway .... didnt try mariokart ...

Mat xD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Got the same problem with mario kart 7. I tested about 8 games and all worked except mario kart.
I played the first 3 cups but for the further cups (the 4. And 5.) I get a black with the warning to press the power button and shut down the system.
It was mario kart 7 EU version from *snip*. i tried several microSD, class 10. I formatted the system too, but without any success.

Can someone help?
This shit. I love mario kart. Better any other game would not work.

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of memory cards, have we any idea what the ideal class of card would be?

For the majority of games on the DS the speed doesn't matter, but I remember Strange Journey constantly freezing on class 6 cards yet running fine on a class 4.

Mat xD If you have one avaliable, try it on a slower speed card.

Edit - I've ordered one yesterday, so once I get it I'll try testing games with various speed cards.

Reactions: Mat xD

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On their site it talks about font issues with out-of-region games but doesn't give any specifics. Has anyone had any problems playing Japanese games on an NA/EU console? I'd like to be able to play Rune Factory 4 in Japanese but it's a no-go if I can't read the text. Or are they just talking about system UI fonts rather than in-game fonts?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
i try with fews different sd card even sandisk ultra class 10 64gb ... and full format ... cleaning gateway .... same problem
even game, that was working well start to freeze like luigi an dk 3d, so loose save ...

it sounds like you have a faulty gateway card. why not ask the seller to replace it ?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Random question, but where was it purchased?

Mat xD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried a 16 gb class 10 but mario kart still didnt work.
But now it works. :-)
My Solution: i started the game, choosed my character, kart and wheels till i came to the menu where i can choose the cups. Instead of choosing one of the cups that crashes my game i just pressed the home button and went back to the 3ds home. After the game was saved and closed i started mario kart again and now all cups are working!!!
Dont know why it works now, i can only guess there was something wrong with the save.

Reactions: f0rCe

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a 16 gb class 10 but mario kart still didnt work.
But now it works. :-)
My Solution: i started the game, choosed my character, kart and wheels till i came to the menu where i can choose the cups. Instead of choosing one of the cups that crashes my game i just pressed the home button and went back to the 3ds home. After the game was saved and closed i started mario kart again and now all cups are working!!!
Dont know why it works now, i can only guess there was something wrong with the save.
I'd love to hear how long that solution lasts. While it isn't perfect (one must know when the crash occurs in order to circumvent the freeze, meaning it must happen at least once), it is certainly in the right direction.

opal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Where did you buy your Gateway?

Kaliko88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My gateway arrived Saturday from modchipdirect, and have been trying to use it in my new 3ds with 4.4
Very, very long story short, when trying to start a game (the icon is there) I always get "The game cart was removed" error.
I have seen pther posts talking about this error, but do not see any solutions.
It may just be a faulty card. I am awaiting response from modchipdirect.
Any other thoughts?

thanks..

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how many people realize the Gateway MicroSD slot is spring loaded and how many people have screwed up the spring by pulling it out rarther than depressing the spring

Why'd they make this design choice? As far as I recall R4 actually -removed- the spring from later units due to unwanted ejections. Seems like a bad choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.