Hacking Gateway Reliability Feedback

Has your Gateway 3DS Experienced Technical Issues?

• Total voters

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.....they must have made a second run for the North American distribution because my GW red card doesn't have a spring mechanism. BTW had no problem been mostly playing Castlevania LOS from my region for the last 2 weeks and not one single problem. I have played a few hours on DKCR and ML Dream Team (EU) and not problems with them either. I am wondering if Asia got the first run and those were the problematic ones?

Are you certain it doesn't? Tried pushing the microSD down while it's inserted?
If you manually pull the card out the spring stays down so you might not notice it's even there.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
5 hours of uninhibited play on Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward until suddenly a freeze. After playing to catch up to where I was it froze again and thereafter would load the game fine but hang and freeze during loading the save game.

Frustrating to say the least. Something that can be done about this?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
5 hours of uninhibited play on Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward until suddenly a freeze. After playing to catch up to where I was it froze again and thereafter would load the game fine but hang and freeze during loading the save game.

That's a known game glitch that doesn't have anything to do with the GW. Google it and you'll see.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a known game glitch that doesn't have anything to do with the GW. Google it and you'll see.
sonofa... thanks for the heads up though.
Good to know my gateway isn't at fault then.

konquist

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello people! I understand I'm not the first one with this problem from reading this thread (msg#39). Anyway, I received a Gateway from modchipcentral recently, but it just doesn't work. I sent them an email, and they suggested checking in this forum before returning the card. So, here's a copy of the email I sent them:

Hi, thank you for shipping the item I ordered. However, I seem to be unlucky, as the unit refuses to launch 3ds games. I followed all instructions included in the gateway manual found in the file I downloaded (GW_Release_1.1a.zip) from the official site (http://gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html). I copied the Launcher.dat to the root of the 3DS SD card. I copied the contents from the Blue Card (R4i) folder to a microSD for the blue card. I successfully copied a 3ds game to another microSD using the recommended app (win32diskimager-v0.9-binary).

Installing the exploit with the blue card worked as expected. I got the blue screen for Gateway 3ds Installer. I pressed A to install, and a few seconds later, I got the message Done! Enjoy Gateway!. Once back to the 3ds home menu, I inserted the red card (with microSD 3ds game inside). The card didn't show up, but that's normal, since I had to run the exploit first. So I went forward, and clicked System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. The exploit launched as expected, both screens froze for about 5-6 seconds. Then, I was back to the home menu, and the game installed on the red card was now showing it's banner, exactly like a retail game. However, if I try to launch the game, I immediately get a black screen that tells me "The game card was removed. Press the HOME button to return to the HOME menu." Removing and re-inserting the cart does nothing. I can only press HOME, which brings me back to the Home menu. Once back there, the game banner no longer shows up, and the 3DS tells me there is nothing in the slot. The exploit is no longer running. I can re-launch it right away (settings > other settings...) and the game banner will come back once I'm back in Gateway mode, but trying to launch the game will always result in the message The game card was removed. I even successfully updated my XL unit from 4.4 to 4.5 with the Gateway with the game Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. I was also able to read the manual, which is part of the rom. But starting the game is impossible. I tested with 3 different games, all scene releases with CRC verified. I tested with different microSD cards. I also tested with another 3DS I own, a black launch unit with 4.4.0.10 firmware, and same results exactly. I can only conclude that the red card doesn't work. The blue card runs fine.
*** END of Email ***

I might add that I also tried both releases of launcher.dat (1.0 and 1.1a) and resetted several times to DS mode to start from scratch, but no results! Any suggestions, or it's just hopeless and I should return it?

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hello people! I understand I'm not the first one with this problem from reading this thread (msg#39). Anyway, I received a Gateway from modchipcentral recently, but it just doesn't work. I sent them an email, and they suggested checking in this forum before returning the card. So, here's a copy of the email I sent them:

Hi, thank you for shipping the item I ordered. However, I seem to be unlucky, as the unit refuses to launch 3ds games. I followed all instructions included in the gateway manual found in the file I downloaded (GW_Release_1.1a.zip) from the official site (http://gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html). I copied the Launcher.dat to the root of the 3DS SD card. I copied the contents from the Blue Card (R4i) folder to a microSD for the blue card. I successfully copied a 3ds game to another microSD using the recommended app (win32diskimager-v0.9-binary).

Installing the exploit with the blue card worked as expected. I got the blue screen for Gateway 3ds Installer. I pressed A to install, and a few seconds later, I got the message Done! Enjoy Gateway!. Once back to the 3ds home menu, I inserted the red card (with microSD 3ds game inside). The card didn't show up, but that's normal, since I had to run the exploit first. So I went forward, and clicked System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. The exploit launched as expected, both screens froze for about 5-6 seconds. Then, I was back to the home menu, and the game installed on the red card was now showing it's banner, exactly like a retail game. However, if I try to launch the game, I immediately get a black screen that tells me "The game card was removed. Press the HOME button to return to the HOME menu." Removing and re-inserting the cart does nothing. I can only press HOME, which brings me back to the Home menu. Once back there, the game banner no longer shows up, and the 3DS tells me there is nothing in the slot. The exploit is no longer running. I can re-launch it right away (settings > other settings...) and the game banner will come back once I'm back in Gateway mode, but trying to launch the game will always result in the message The game card was removed. I even successfully updated my XL unit from 4.4 to 4.5 with the Gateway with the game Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. I was also able to read the manual, which is part of the rom. But starting the game is impossible. I tested with 3 different games, all scene releases with CRC verified. I tested with different microSD cards. I also tested with another 3DS I own, a black launch unit with 4.4.0.10 firmware, and same results exactly. I can only conclude that the red card doesn't work. The blue card runs fine.
*** END of Email ***

I might add that I also tried both releases of launcher.dat (1.0 and 1.1a) and resetted several times to DS mode to start from scratch, but no results! Any suggestions, or it's just hopeless and I should return it?

could be faulty card or maybe bad memory card or 3ds game image. try different memory card,3ds image.

as a win8 64bit user this is the only version that worked for me: win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27-binary-alt1

Kaliko88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you ordered two cards then? I'm having the same problem as you, and I'm hoping that they won't give me a hassle for wanting to return the card. What's the name of the Canadian flash card reseller, again?

Yes, I ordered two cards. One preordered from modchipsdirect in NY, the other from modchipcentral in Canada after they had first stock.
I emailed both gateway-3ds and modchipsdirect when the first card did not work (game card was removed).

Gateway-3ds response: "probably bad connectors. Clean up connectors etc. For tech questions, please visit our support forums"

Modchipsdirect response: "Ok, I have been reading some forums, and it seems that this is a hardware fault, sorry about that. If you send it back asap, we will
replace it for you."

I returned card on 9/3, they received it on 9/5, but have not been notified of the replacement being shipped as of yet.
If it does not arrive next week, I'll contact them again.

dragonjud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my card, and while I haven't done anything yet with it, first impressions are not good. It looks like they're rushing these things out, and whoever was in charge of putting the stickers on mine was a moron. The sticker that is supposed to go on top of the card, seemed to be missing, so they put the sticker meant for the other side. It leaves some of the pc board exposed. On the underside, there's no sticker at all, so the majority of the connectors and board is exposed. I've gotten many cards over the years, and this has to be the first time someone screwed up something this simple. Even the $10-$15 cards get that much correct.

Will edit my post after I test it, but so far it screams crappy quality.

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything's working well. reloading saves from other games is no problem. Tried supposedly problematic games like NSMB2 and Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros and no problems.

I can also confirm for ds lite users that the blue card does work with an EZ Flash 3in1 slot 2 device.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you using gateway firmware v1.0 or v1.1? I have pretty much been using v1.0 as almost everything runs with that unless you are wanting out of region or ML Dream team. I actually prepped to SD cards for my 3DS....one with v1.0 and one with V1.1. I figured v1.0 was used and tested much more by gateway and it seemed like more complaints of freezes and save game problems happened after v1.1. I would say try v1.0 and see if it works for you.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

*** END of Email ***

Sounds like a bad card as I and many others had no troubles of this nature....you were daring to update your firmware using it considering you knew it was acting flaky....if it had bombed during your firmware flash you would have been bricked. Modchipcentral is stating they have a 6 month warrenty so I would just tell them you tried everything within reason and it won't run.....could try email gateway as they usually answer emails but I think you just have a bad unit.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonofa... thanks for the heads up though.
Good to know my gateway isn't at fault then.

See this is one benefit to gateway is you can backup those .sav files and keep multiple iterations...that way if you get stuck in a known game glitch you could roll back to one of your previous save files :-)

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to play a game for 30 minutes, took a break and came back and now no matter what I try I always get the "The Game Card was removed." error
It sees the game fine but when I click on the game the error comes up. I've tried restarting, reformating, changing games still won't fix it. I will have to go to the store and try another microsd card to see if that's the problem but I don't know. If it's a problem with the red card it's going to be a pain trying to return it.

Kaliko88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to play a game for 30 minutes, took a break and came back and now no matter what I try I always get the "The Game Card was removed." error
It sees the game fine but when I click on the game the error comes up. I've tried restarting, reformating, changing games still won't fix it. I will have to go to the store and try another microsd card to see if that's the problem but I don't know. If it's a problem with the red card it's going to be a pain trying to return it.

Unfortunately, I do not believe another microSD will fix that problem. I had the same problem and had to return the gateway. A different red card has worked fine for me.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a bummer some of you are getting bad units, especially those that purchased from out of your coutry and have to jump thru hoops to send them back and get them replaced. I am sure this is just early run issues and not a core issue with the device itself as nearly 75% of the people answering the poll have had no issues to speak of. I am sure gateway will improve the quality in the subsequent production runs and the failure rate will likely be below 5% eventually.

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey everyone, I just received my Gateway and I seem to be suffering from the "game card removed" error message as well just like Konquist. I bought my flash card at http://www.3ds-flashcart.com. I just e-mailed them explaing my situation and I really hope that they get back to me. They state that they have a 6 month warranty on their products so I am hoping that an exchange would be possible. The retailer was listed on the gateway teams webpage so I figured that they should be reliable.

I would have to say that I am a little dissapointed that my card is defective. i ordered it way back on the 14th of August and only just received it today. That is almost a month ago. Now I will likely have to wait another month to get another card which may or may not be defective. I understand that the retailer I dealt with is not at fault here and they have been fine with me so far... that still doesn't take away the fact that I am $92 poorer with nothing to really show for another month :-(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*