Gateway Release New Video - First Units To Ship This Week

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Haha .. didn't know about that one ;) but I still think it's obvious that they're involved in the Gateway hack ... I mean, why post pictures and progress of all your research and when you succeed, you just say: We'll never release it to the public and the only news we had after, was that firmware 5.x.x fixed the exploit they were using. Do you really think they did all that work just to say: well, Nintendo patched it, it was fun but let's call it a day. It would actually reassure me if they are behind Gateway ... that would mean an update for the latest firmware might be possible.

Outside console hacking the is a large culture of making proof of concepts/demonstrations and not working it up to weaponised/so any idiot to can follow a guide level.
Within console hacking there is also a long history (well post playstation definitely, earlier stuff gets odd) of making a proof of concepts/demonstration and leaving others to work it up as well (a lot of the wii stuff (drivechips upwards), quite a bit of the DS stuff, the 360 saw this several times, the original xbox had some interesting things happen, the gamecube I believe had some interesting stuff happen there).

It might not be the case here but it is far from unheard of. Similarly http://marcansoft.com/blog/2011/01/safe-hacking/ wants to be linked about this point.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Outside console hacking the is a large culture of making proof of concepts/demonstrations and not working it up to weaponised/so any idiot to can follow a guide level.
Within console hacking there is also a long history (well post playstation definitely, earlier stuff gets odd) of making a proof of concepts/demonstration and leaving others to work it up as well (a lot of the wii stuff (drivechips upwards), quite a bit of the DS stuff, the 360 saw this several times, the original xbox had some interesting things happen, the gamecube I believe had some interesting stuff happen there).

It might not be the case here but it is far from unheard of. Similarly http://marcansoft.com/blog/2011/01/safe-hacking/ wants to be linked about this point.
You're right and that's the beauty of it ... sharing knowledge to do what you couldn't do on your own. We're only speculating and posting opinions since no one knows who's behind Gateway and what Neimod and Yellow8 did after they hacked the 3ds ... the only thing we can do is analyse what we know and try to see what would make more sense (just like any theory). With what I know, what make more sense is that Gateway is using Neimod's hack ... maybe they got paid, maybe they didn't but what I know is that they are the only people we know of that hacked the 3ds and Gateway is the 1st 3ds cart that works ... combined with the firmware 5.0.0 block and everything else we know, that's what make more sence and it's not a lack of respect towards them at all. Again this is just speculations ... cause it's fun ;)

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
The following video is an accurate representation of what the people of GBATemp are doing to the people of Gateway 3DS.

I mean, there is a difference between being skeptical of something that seems to conveniently satisfy a long-standing demand and continually pestering a company with the same questions out of an automatic hatred. The video (from Gateway 3DS) itself fills me with ambivalence, both raising my spirits with reassurance of a quality product from a faithful company and lowering my souls with resentment for the actions that other caused that provoked such a response.
...I was playing a fan-made sequel to Off in which you play The Judge instead of The Batter.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The following video is an accurate representation of what the people of GBATemp are doing to the people of Gateway 3DS.

I mean, there is a difference between being skeptical of something that seems to conveniently satisfy a long-standing demand and continually pestering a company with the same questions out of an automatic hatred. The video (from Gateway 3DS) itself fills me with ambivalence, both raising my spirits with reassurance of a quality product from a faithful company and lowering my souls with resentment for the actions that other caused that provoked such a response.
...I was playing a fan-made sequel to Off in which you play The Judge instead of The Batter.

..dafuq did I just watch?

Xolima

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't understand one thing, that video is proof that if you change micro sd cards the save files will not be erased. What if I delete the game that I have in my micro sd and replace it with a new game, will my previous save disappear ?

Sorry if this has already been stated.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it started shelling out the original 1st party games that everyone is sick and tired of.

This is Nintendo. We forgot the meaning of 3rd party.

Serious response: 1st party is the only real reason to buy Nintendo anymore. TBH I bought my first 3rd Party 3DS game today (SMTIV), not counting eShop. The eShop is becoming a better place than that crap hole is was originally, but still, most of the good games on a Nintendo platform, are made by them.
And I, unlike you, still find the 1st party games as fun & enjoyable as always. (I'm not trying to put off a smugness or the idea that I think I'm better than you or anything, it just sounds that way) So to me there are actually too many (For my wallet that is, not the rest of reality) quality titles on the 3DS

Also, we have some great looking 3rd party titles on the way, mostly on the eShop too, like: Ace Attorney 5, Mutant Mudds 2, Shantae, Bravely Default, Batman, Adventure Time (I at least hope this one will be good).

But some of the really good 3rd party support is the Japanese only stuff (of course)
Like the Dragon Quest VII remake or DQ Monsters remake (Both needed it), or Time Travelers, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, the list goes on & on.

TL;DR I still like 1st party games and 3rd party is getting there

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone found a red or blue US 3DS XL with 5.x or 6.x firmware? I just checked a few stores and every 3DS XL that was available said "Nintendo 3DS is a trademark of Nintendo. 2012 Nintendo." on the back of the box. However, that by itself, does not guarantee that the devices were manufactured in 2012. Nintendo may have chosen to not update the box or simply printed extra during a previous production run.

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
that's a beautiful white 3ds xl. I am getting excited about that there obviously will be a team that will rip-off these cards. any maybe get even better support. I mean, it all started with the r4 I think back in the day for ds, and after 4 years there were already countless variations of this card available, and we shouldn't forget that the price of these cards fell a lot after some clones came out.
the orginal price was 40 (euro) I believe, and later on it became 10 (euro).

but besides, the gateway3ds team did a great job for doing this. I wonder though one thing: will a game that forces the 3ds to update also forces the update when it is loaded as a rom?
if so, the gateway3ds is easily countered if nintendo will release games which forces newer firmware updates than 4.5.0-10X

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone found a red or blue US 3DS XL with 5.x or 6.x firmware? I just checked a few stores and every 3DS XL that was available said "Nintendo 3DS is a trademark of Nintendo. 2012 Nintendo." on the back of the box. However, that by itself, does not guarantee that the devices were manufactured in 2012. Nintendo may have chosen to not update the box or simply printed extra during a previous production run.

Got one 4.4.0 today, which also said 2012. It was red, and considering that the 5.X.X firmware was released in March it's safe to assume that all 3DS XLs that aren't the Pikachu version are on firmware lower than 5.X.X.

Reactions: DiabloStorm

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
"will you buy the gateway flashcart"
1) I don't have a 3DS
2) I think it's way too early to get a flash cart for 3DS ROMs. I'd like to support the games being made. Maybe for homebrew, but I don't see any homebrew yet obviously.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9