Gateway Read Error, Help!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Trace_hunter, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Trace_hunter
    OP

Trace_hunter GBAtemp Regular

Mar 4, 2009
    UK
    So I've just been playing some new super mario bros 2, closed the ds during a level to get a coffee, opened it and come back to find the music has stopped playing, exited out of the level and the game has crashed.
    Restarted my ds, booted into gateway, hit select and it just says 'read error'.
    I haven't done anything different and it's been working just fine up until now, did a disk check on the sd card, didn't find anything wrong, still not working. Tried a different SD card, same problem, did a full format and a format to exfat, no difference
    What's going on!

edit: Have tried 3 different micro sd cards, all of which work fine on a computer, none of which pass the sd read diagnostic test in the gateway menu. It's the same error as if there was no micro sd plugged into the red gateway. I'm guessing the micro sd reader is screwed, I bought it from buygateway3ds.com/, does anyone know if I could get a replacement?

Have also tried reinstalling gateway with the blue card on the same micro sd, which worked just fine, reformatted emunand, all seems fine but still won't detect the micro sd card, I'm guessing the red card is buggered

2. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    You've done everything that I would suggest doing, so I am out of ideas myself. That means I can only come to the same conclusion that you did. The red card seems broken. What's strange, though, is that it passes the diagnostic test.
    Have you maybe tried a different ROM? Maybe the file is corrupted somehow.

3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Test using win32diskimager to write a single rom to see if the that will work, also I suppose giving the card a squeeze wouldn't hurt to see if something is a bit loose

4. Trace_hunter
    OP

Mar 4, 2009
    UK
    Yeah the red card passed the diagnostic but the sd card bit at the end failed. I have tried a different rom yes, I deleted mario bros and put a different rom on and it still didn't work. Thanks for the replies though, I emailed the retailer I bought it from with all the info and they said, try a different sd card, despite the fact I said in the email I tried 3 different sd cards, so annoying when they don't read the emails.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Just be frank and say the card is faulty and you would like a replacement and where should you ship to, you will usually get a better response from that sort of message if you have already done all the diagnostics etc

Oh and did you try squeezing the sd slot just to make sure the sd doesn't have a loose connection, probably have the same results but might as well try while you wait for a response back

6. Trace_hunter
    OP

Mar 4, 2009
    UK
    Yeah good idea, just a shame they take so long to reply. And yes I have tried squeezing the sd slot, didn't make any difference :(
    Oh I did do an sd card test as well and It came out fine, I'm not sure about writing roms to it though as I literally just copied and pasted the .3ds files, which worked until it stopped working

7. yabbitboy

yabbitboy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2013

I had a similar issue with my old red gateway cart, does your Gateway cart LED light flash when you try to load a game? It passed all the diagnostic check but have trouble loading the games via the "select" button, ..... Turns out I had a faulty red gateway cart and I have since bought another Gateway cart..

http://gbatemp.net/threads/problems-loading-games-with-gateway-omega-2-0.363976/

8. SaggyBeans

SaggyBeans GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    Canada
    I had the read error once.. I had to load a SINGLE rom on an sd using Win32 Disk Imager method.. then it came back to life and multi-rom worked again. Try that and let me know.

9. Trace_hunter
    OP

Mar 4, 2009
    UK
    I didn't know it had an led, where abouts is it located?

Thanks for the suggestion I'll try this when I get home, I thought it wasn't required to write the rom files since a recent update?

10. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Its at the top of the cart. It looks like a little slot

11. Trace_hunter
    OP

Mar 4, 2009
    UK
    Cheers I'll have a look when I get back, hope I can get it working!

Thanks for the suggestions guys but no dice, found the hole for the led (I think) but it doesn't show any light at all, even when trying to load games.
    Tried writing a rom to the sd card but still came up with a read error.

I'm pretty certain it's screwed now, didn't get an email at all from the vendor today so who knows when I'll be able to send it back or if I'll even be able to get a replacement.

It seems like they've stopped replying to my emails, great.

eventually got a replacement, seems to be working fine