Hacking Gateway Nand Based Saving Demo (Pokemon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to explain the basic rumors regarding clones. I think you're capable of understanding that I will buy a clone if they end up supporting all of the same features, and if not then it's another Gateway at a reduced price. Or MT card. Point is, I will have options again. And that $40 is half the cost, you act as if it means nothing. I don't enjoy overspending, and look back on overspending with regret, no matter what the purchase is.

If I was "impatient", then why would I be open to returning the cartridge, and missing out when the firmware does launch, as well as wait for the price to drop or a better product to come along. You've got it backwards, I DO have the patience to wait, and if I did save the $40 you estimate, that's still roughly 50% of the price of the Gateway. Everyone acts like Gateway is such an awesome "team" (most likely some guy in a basement). I can't recall a "team" that has taken so long between updates and left its customers hanging. And never have I seen a backup device that did not support multi boot.
Awesome or not, they're the only team doing original work. Whether you choose to support the continued advancement of the 3DS scene or not is completely up to you. The fact that you "can't recall" something or "have never seen" something comes down to the simple fact that you've probably never been a part of a modding scene in its infancy. They've surely got more than one person working on this, but it's not the size of a development team for AAA games, and it's damn sure nowhere near the size of Nintendo, whose code they have to work through and attempt to match in quality.

$40 is nothing. That's the price of one 3DS game. Ultimately, you get what you pay for in most cases, this one included. If you want to go the cheap route and possibly deprive yourself of some of the features you've admitted are important to you, so be it.

I don't really play games, my interest is in critiquing them. Rarely do I ever get take playing the game with much seriousness. I just don't see the value in that, it doesn't accomplish anything in the grand scheme of things.
I didn't tell you to take them seriously. The point of games is to enjoy yourself while playing. But if you can only play a game for a few minutes before you're "sick of it," then you're clearly not getting much enjoyment out of it. Maybe video games just aren't meant for you.

Reactions: gamefan5

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome or not, they're the only team doing original work. Whether you choose to support the continued advancement of the 3DS scene or not is completely up to you. The fact that you "can't recall" something or "have never seen" something comes down to the simple fact that you've probably never been a part of a modding scene in its infancy. They've surely got more than one person working on this, but it's not the size of a development team for AAA games, and it's damn sure nowhere near the size of Nintendo, whose code they have to work through and attempt to match in quality.

$40 is nothing. That's the price of one 3DS game. Ultimately, you get what you pay for in most cases, this one included. If you want to go the cheap route and possibly deprive yourself of some of the features you've admitted are important to you, so be it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Either you're happy with what u get or forever hold your breath.
In the modding community, the releases are never set on a date, due to companies releasing software trying to prevent hacks and other complications. It's not easy for them at all.
Either you accept that, or just quit and buy your games. The modding community will not miss u by a longshot.

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A
You should see the first methods of back up device that came when the DS was just hacked. It was even more tedious than what u have by a long shot.

I saw them nearly a decade ago. I've been around my good son. I was loading DS games from GBA flash carts via passme. I never said anything about tedious methods, only multirom. And technically the passme with GBA carts wasn't an official backup device, so even though you wrote a single game to the cart at once, it was because you were using a flash cart from a completely different console to do so, which when used with said console, supported multiboot from the get go.

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what was your first console/handheld? I remember first generation GBA flash carts that didn't have multi boot,
and before that, multi boot was even more unheard of.

Calm down.

My first handheld was a Game Boy that I bought with my own cash in 1989.

And you are dead wrong. I have the original flash cart for GBA right here (FA 128 Turbo) and guess what, it supported multiboot at launch. There are four 32Mb ROMs on it as we speak. Technically the 128 Turbo is a revision of the original Flash Advances which had issues, but all supported multiboot via "GBA Loader" which required one of the roms to have space at the end for the loader data.

And before that as far as handhelds are concerned the GBC flash carts supported multiboot as well, as did NES, SNES, N64 backup devices.

I was fine with the Gateway temporarily not supporting multiple roms, because they all but promised support in the future, but waiting for it is getting a little old. Regardless of whether or not it's days away, we are still waiting.

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first handheld was a Game Boy that I bought with my own cash in 1989.

And you are dead wrong. I have the original flash cart for GBA right here (FA 128 Turbo) and guess what, it supported multiboot at launch. There are four 32Mb ROMs on it as we speak. Technically the 128 Turbo is a revision of the original Flash Advances which had issues, but all supported multiboot via "GBA Loader" which required one of the roms to have space at the end for the loader data.

Okay, so you're dead right that I'm dead wrong. Bad example.
(For whatever reason I thought FA only supported multi rom via LittleWriter. :shy: Oh well. )
Regardless, I seriously doubt that the Gateway is the first copier device of any kind to be the only one limited to a single rom image flashed at a time.
It's the simplest way, technically to design a flashcart/copier, especially if you can't/don't yet know how to run your own unsigned code on the target device, which I guess hasn't been that much of an issue up until recently.

Yes, Gateway 3DS has been deceptive with their marketing, advertising "100% Compatibility" before the fact and such, but what do you honestly expect from a company that profits off of enabling piracy to the masses? No honor among thieves, yadayada.
I'm just glad to see they're still supporting their device, even if it is taking longer than initially expected.
Getting mad and demanding they release things isn't going to change this.
You have to admit that currently, the Gateway 3DS is the best available, even if that isn't saying much in your opinion. :P

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally think It's good to have a new thread for something as big as a video of Pokemon working fine on the new GW firmware and the main reason is that it's easy to find the info quickly without going through pages of arguments and useless comments like all the comments in this thread. I don't mean to insult anybody, but It's seriously annoying to read all the bitching and comments about fanboy and clones being better or worst. I feel like 80% of those comments are written by children in need of attention ... imho, we should rethink the stick to the main thread policy or at least post news like these in a locked thread or something just to make sure the info is clear and easy to access and that way we wouldn't have to read every single comments to make sure we don't miss some real information.

Reactions: emo kid 68

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And before that there was the atari 2600, you needed a separate EPROM chip for each game. :ph34r:

I'm talking about mass produced retail backup devices.

Guess you were quoting the other guy, but I already debunked that claim as well. It's one of the most basic features, and the fact customers have had to wait 6 months for it is ridiculous. I feel bad for anyone who went and stockpiled microSD cards.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least post news like these in a locked thread or something just to make sure the info is clear and easy to access and that way we wouldn't have to read every single comments to make sure we don't miss some real information.

I really like this idea.

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just updated the site with the video, an obviously expected action. Looks like this topic is staying open for awhile.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think It's good to have a new thread for something as big as a video of Pokemon working fine on the new GW firmware.

We already do this. When something of significance happens it usually is on the front page posted by Ryu or another staff member with an ongoing disscusion linked in the thread.

I don't mean to insult anybody, but It's seriously annoying to read all the bitching and comments about fanboy and clones being better or worst. I feel like 80% of those comments are written by children in need of attention ... imho, we should rethink the stick to the main thread policy or at least post news like these in a locked thread or something just to make sure the info is clear and easy to access and that way we wouldn't have to read every single comments to make sure we don't miss some real information.

This part makes no sense (except about the bitchy comments, i totally understand you). Anyone who has been following gateway or any gateway thread at all would have the thread watched so it takes them to the last page. Anyone who's new to gateway SHOULD start on the first page because thats where they belong so they can learn. People who dont understand or are noobs always skip to the last page or make a useless new thread when their question could have been googled or found in the main thread. Thats why we always get at least 10 ppl saying "Does this mean Gateway works on 7.1 now?" "Can someone explain emunand", "Is Pokemon/Animal Crossing working yet?", etc. after every update.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
So much petty drama over relatively inexpensive flashcarts, I LOVE IT!

I had fallen out of the scene for the past few years, but Gateway and the other clones have rekindled my interest in this community. Reminds me of old times.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure, but GW team showing a video now might indicate that the release of 2.0 is still not as near as we think...

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
They where always going to have it working, they just wanted it to work properly, they haven't delivered empty promises, just people set expectations on them and time frames which is pointless, its done when its ready, and whining and bitching and harassing them for info wont change that, anyone here is welcome to rip apart the launcher and add your own features, so some people instead of complaining and getting annoyed, be greatful its coming, its working and they are fulfilling their original team goals

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We already do this. When something of significance happens it usually is on the front page posted by Ryu or another staff member with an ongoing disscusion linked in the thread.

This part makes no sense (except about the bitchy comments, i totally understand you). Anyone who has been following gateway or any gateway thread at all would have the thread watched so it takes them to the last page. Anyone who's new to gateway SHOULD start on the first page because thats where they belong so they can learn. People who dont understand or are noobs always skip to the last page or make a useless new thread when their question could have been googled or found in the main thread. Thats why we always get at least 10 ppl saying "Does this mean Gateway works on 7.1 now?" "Can someone explain emunand", "Is Pokemon/Animal Crossing working yet?", etc. after every update.

I understand ... I guess I'm just really tired of checking the main thread everyday and going through 2 pages of arguments, speculations and people threatening GW of all sorts of things if they don't release the new firmware now. I'm wasting enough time checking my Facebook, Twitter etc, I thought it would be great to have a way to filter the good info from the useless stuff that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.