Gateway kernel access/memory editing question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by flarn2006, Dec 12, 2014.

1. flarn2006
    OP

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    My understanding is that Gateway, along with the dev menu, etc. basically allows full kernel access. Am I correct?

This would mean it would be possible to do Action Replay-like memory editing, right? (Maybe someone, perhaps myself if I can figure it out, could write a Cheat Engine server similar to the one for Android, so you can use CE with 3DS games.)

2. sgtkwol

sgtkwol GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    SaveDataFiler is available for that. Most games have checksums. Pokemon X/Y/oR/aS are supported by PkHex and other games have tools, as well.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. acidmango

acidmango Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Canada
    By the sounds of it, he intends to do real-time editing not save editing.
    I'm not sure if anything has been done in terms of peeking/poking the 3DS yet. Certainly nothing public.

4. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    NTR CFW lets you edit the memory via plugins and patch games on the fly. It could be used for cheating, but nobody has written a cheat plugin for it yet, and it since it's based on an old GW launcher.dat, it doesn't support games with 7.x-8.x encryption or cia installing.

acidmango likes this.
  5. hackotedelaplaqu

hackotedelaplaqu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2009
    France
    Palatine CFW's ctrclient allows it too :

Margen67 likes this.
  6. flarn2006
    OP

flarn2006 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    How likely is it that I can use this with my 9.2 3DS using nothing but a Gateway card, given what GW has said so far about 9.2 support? I might be able to make something to connect this to Cheat Engine.

7. hackotedelaplaqu

hackotedelaplaqu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2009
    France

It's not related to emunand compatibility
    Only sysnand matters here. CFW creates its own emunand.

Tuto reminder :
    Now instead of step 5, use ctrclient in command line in order to peek and poke memory.