Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Is it safe to assume these bricks aren't a malicious attack and is probably just utter incompetence on behalf of team Gateway? Or do we still have smoking gun evidence this bricker code was put in intentionally and this is just a glitch of that system?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well i doubt they would make it intentional on their own firmware.....theres a few options

1, all the date and time triggers are true....but diagnostics bypassed all checks

2, the code was designed to trigger if diagnostics fail but triggers regardless (afaik diagnostics always fail on clones)

3, the code found was actually, remnants of the accidental update prevention feature they where talking about in their updates but left out that was somehow left linked into the diagnostics test

4, a random glitch that they missed in beta testing

satan89

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Could there be any relation with emuNAND and diagnostic mode? Did you have the 7.1 emuNAND on the sd card every time you bricked?

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I would like to see if it occurs if you remove emunand and try with a different SD card just by curiosity!

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
well i doubt they would make it intentional on their own firmware.....theres a few options

1, all the date and time triggers are true....but diagnostics bypassed all checks

2, the code was designed to trigger if diagnostics fail but triggers regardless (afaik diagnostics always fail on clones)

3, the code found was actually, remnants of the accidental update prevention feature they where talking about in their updates but left out that was somehow left linked into the diagnostics test

4, a random glitch that they missed in beta testing

It's more complicated than that. You simply have exponentially more chances of bricking in the diagnostic mode because it calls most (if not all) of the functions that are tied to specific Gateway commands (SPI Read, IC challenge...) some of these functions themselves ultimately call the brick function if their built in checks fail. Of course these checks also run on a random basis while the Gateway payload is running, they just don't run all the commands at once outside of the diagnostic mode.

It could be that one check is buggy or fails with your particular card (not all of the checks are displayed on the diag screen).

There is no telling where precisely it fails without doing some extensive diagnostic. It'd be much better if the Gateway engineers were to remove the bricking function from their code rather than to take their chances.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so date and time doesn't matter you will brick.

seems like the diagnosis check to verify your gateway is bugged. even if you pass all tests the brick code has a chance of firing.

once the final 2.0 is released please run these tests again. I wouldn't be surprised if the delayed release is around this bug.

Reactions: Gabbo04

Askedforthis

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Bricked again on the 4th try, different SD and no emunand

Nice job! Hopefully you'll be around at the time of 2.0 final to do some testing before some unfortunate guy decides to diagnose his Gateway. Though I sincerely doubt they don't fix/have already fixed this problem by that time.

Interesting to see GWTeam reaction. Have anyone sent this video to them?

They're lurking around here constantly as most of their userbase is located right here and on Crunch, so I don't doubt for a second they've seen this.

Reactions: filfat

RicoT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
THX you had done want I willing to do as fast as I can ubbrick my 3DSLL,and would you mind public the video on YOUKU?
In a longtime I feel guilty because I think the reason for brick is my operation of shutdown,but now all is clear before shutdown and red boot Ialso run the test

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone should try and see if it bricks with the region free patch without going into diagnostics mode, because region free is all I really want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before