Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just saw you had an 8.1J system. That would be a bit of a problem lol. Pretty sure that was the devil firmware that caused all the problems originally when we first started messing with the N3DS

Suspect he is concerned about hacking a system on 8.1J. Wasn't that the firmware that was causing all the problems last year cuz no entrypoint worked right with it?
Gateway has actually accidentally solved that even though they ignored 8.1J owners for so long. The problem was that 8.1J couldn't use Ninjhax 2.0 (which didn't need a browser but needs 9.0+) and couldn't use Ninjhax 1.x (as it has no browser). And you brick if you try to update in Gateway mode (something to do with spoofing NATIVE_FIRM). But Gateway 4.0b does not have this problem as it had to remove the bricking thing for users updating and downgrading for their implementation of a9lh. SO long story short, 8.1J owners can use the launcher.dat from 4.0b, install sysupdater and update to 9.0J without issue. @CrispyYoshi was the first to try it and write about it.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway has actually accidentally solved that even though they ignored 8.1J owners for so long. The problem was that 8.1J couldn't use Ninjhax 2.0 (which didn't need a browser but needs 9.0+) and couldn't use Ninjhax 1.x (as it has no browser). And you brick if you try to update in Gateway mode (something to do with spoofing NATIVE_FIRM). But Gateway 4.0b does not have this problem as it had to remove the bricking thing for users updating and downgrading for their implementation of a9lh. SO long story short, 8.1J owners can use the launcher.dat from 4.0b, install sysupdater and update to 9.0J without issue. @CrispyYoshi was the first to try it and write about it.

Um, pretty sure you still don't wanna update sysnand while in Gateway mode, even with a9lh. Gateway's A9LH implementation does not include any sort of FIRM protection, so you are liable to end up either bricked or on 11.0 with no a9lh if you do. Its part of the reason that Gateway still wants users to use emunand, even with A9LH.

edit:

Specifically referring to updating via system settings you are liable to end up on 11.0.0-33 with no A9LH if you don't get a brick instead. I see no reason that updating with sysupdater to a 9.x firmware would be any different than with system settings in that regard.

Last edited by Aroth,
Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Um, pretty sure you still don't wanna update sysnand while in Gateway mode, even with a9lh. Gateway's A9LH implementation does not include any sort of FIRM protection, so you are liable to end up either bricked or on 11.0 with no a9lh if you do. Its part of the reason that Gateway still wants users to use emunand, even with A9LH.

edit:

Specifically referring to updating via system settings you are liable to end up on 11.0.0-33 with no A9LH if you don't get a brick instead. I see no reason that updating with sysupdater to a 9.x firmware would be any different than with system settings in that regard.
8.1J owners can use the launcher.dat from 4.0b, install sysupdater and update to 9.0J

I am talking about going from 8.1J (where Gateway is the only option) to 9.0J (where you can have any CFW you want).

System settings update will ALWAYS update you to the latest firmware which nobody is interested in. I am only talking about getting to 9.0.

On old 3DS systems, 8.1 has a browser and can use homebrew through Ninjhax and maybe rxTools. They can then install sysupdater and update with update cias to 9.2. However N3DS consoles with 8.1J did NOT have a browser, making it impossible to use homebrew, so Gateway was the only hack available. Due to how Gateway mode operates, installing sysupdater and trying to use it in Gateway mode would brick. However, the changes in 4.0b took away the thing that bricked so now 8.1J users can use the launcher from 4.0b, install sysupdater and update to 9.0J without bricks.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Quantumcat

Can you show me where CrispyYoshi tested and documented that it is now safe to update sysnand while in Gateway Mode with the 4.0b launcher.dat?

I have not seen anything to that effect, and the few threads I have seen talking about configuring a system set up using Plailect's guide to load Gateway have even specifically warned not to update your sysnand while in Gateway mode, regardless of if you are using 3.7.1, 4.0a or 4.0b (they all predate 4.1b).

Not trying to argue that it was never said/proven, just would love to see the discussion myself so I can make sure I am relaying the right info to people when they ask me questions.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat

Can you show me where CrispyYoshi tested and documented that it is now safe to update sysnand while in Gateway Mode with the 4.0b launcher.dat?

I have not seen anything to that effect, and the few threads I have seen talking about configuring a system set up using Plailect's guide to load Gateway have even specifically warned not to update your sysnand while in Gateway mode, regardless of if you are using 3.7.1, 4.0a or 4.0b (they all predate 4.1b).

Not trying to argue that it was never said/proven, just would love to see the discussion myself so I can make sure I am relaying the right info to people when they ask me questions.
Delete Plailect's guide from your mind. This has absolutely ZERO to do with a9lh. I will find you the thread.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete Plailect's guide from your mind. This has absolutely ZERO to do with a9lh. I will find you the thread.

I feel like randomly deleting that guide from my mind in general is probably a bad idea. :P I mean it IS pretty damn useful.

I do see your point though. Thanks for looking it up for me.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sure she had some sort of how-to thread but haven't found it yet. Just found this though:
Wait, before I waste about half an hour flashing NANDs, which SysUpdater do you suggest I try using? (I was just about to press A to update with profi200's, ha)

EDIT: I just tried using profi200's and IT WORKS! Gateway 4.0b can update 8.1J browserless non-N3DS to 9.2J through profi200's sysupdater in Gateway SysNand completely fine. HUGE thank you to @samiam144 for the suggestion.
it says non-N3DS but that doesn't make much sense as an old 3DS on 8.1J would have a browser (unless updated with carts only from 1.0.0-0J)

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure she had some sort of how-to thread but haven't found it yet. Just found this though:
it says non-N3DS but that doesn't make much sense as an old 3DS on 8.1J would have a browser (unless updated with carts only from 1.0.0-0J)

Going off the context of the posts in the thread, maybe it was a typo and he meant to say "non-XL N3DS"? Either way it sounds like the reason its recommended not to update your a9lh sysnand with gateway (lack of FIRM protection) is the very reason we CAN update with sysupdater inside Gateway Mode now. I imagine the only reason for the warning in the A9LH threads is because the lack of protection would result in a potentially broken firm because of A9LH. In the case of someone on 8.1J, that wouldn't be an issue at all. Thanks for the info.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, damn it...

since my standard 3DS SD card that I have emuNAND and everything set up on with the gateway 3DS is relatively full, I snagged the SD card out of my digital camera to use since that had more space to be able to load all this stuff.

So, I got the 3DS XL successfully updated to 9.2U. I was able to get FBI installed and do the homebrew launcher thing. Now, it's telling me to go to part 4... but then that is saying that I need something called a RedNAND. What the crap? Did I miss a step? I thought I already had the GW emuNAND (which is what's currently fully updated in my latest backup of it).

Last edited by codezer0,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
well, damn it...

since my standard 3DS SD card that I have emuNAND and everything set up on with the gateway 3DS is relatively full, I snagged the SD card out of my digital camera to use since that had more space to be able to load all this stuff.

So, I got the 3DS XL successfully updated to 9.2U. I was able to get FBI installed and do the homebrew launcher thing. Now, it's telling me to go to part 4... but then that is saying that I need something called a RedNAND. What the crap? Did I miss a step?
Possibly Part 3?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, damn it...

So, I got the 3DS XL successfully updated to 9.2U. I was able to get FBI installed and do the homebrew launcher thing. Now, it's telling me to go to part 4... but then that is saying that I need something called a RedNAND. What the crap? Did I miss a step? I thought I already had the GW emuNAND (which is what's currently fully updated in my latest backup of it).
RedNAND == EmuNAND. They are different implementations of the same thing and for the purposes of the guide either one can be used (just stick with whichever one you start with.) Since you started with an emunand and intend to use gateway once you are done, I would suggest using emunand9 (or the gateway menu, though my understanding is emunand9 is more efficient) to set up emunand. It can be used to create either emunand or rednand, so whenever the guide tells you to create (or otherwise references) "rednand" simply substitute "emunand".

edit:

Normally I would suggest you backup the contents of the SD card before you mess with emunand creation, but if you are using a different SD card entirely it should be fine.

Last edited by Aroth,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but as said, I already have emuNAND set up already on the larger SD card I regularly use(d) for the 3DS in question. Problem is, that one is so full that I had to use a separate one for this process. That way, if something did go wrong along this process, that data, is untouched. At least if it does go well, I should be able to merge the necessary files together, or so I would think...?

What's upsetting already, is that this process has already corrupted the archive of pictures I had from my Digital camera. While it's true I had most of them mirrored up on Facebook, losing 700+ 14MP photos really sucks.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but as said, I already have emuNAND set up already on the larger SD card I regularly use(d) for the 3DS in question. Problem is, that one is so full that I had to use a separate one for this process. That way, if something did go wrong along this process, that data, is untouched. At least if it does go well, I should be able to merge the necessary files together, or so I would think...?

What's upsetting already, is that this process has already corrupted the archive of pictures I had from my Digital camera. While it's true I had most of them mirrored up on Facebook, losing 700+ 14MP photos really sucks.

I assume you plan to continue using the original SD card once you are done, but just didnt want to mess with it since it had a lot of data on it? That is fine if so. Probably safer anyways. Once you are done with the guide you will have to copy a bunch of files to that card for it work properly, but it will just be drag and drop on the PC. Off the top of my head I know you will need to copy the "3ds" and "luma" folders that you have at the end of the tutorial, as well as arm9loaderhax.bin and gateway's launcher.bin.

As for the digital camera picture archive, did you not back up the contents of that sd card (the one from your camera) before starting?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you plan to continue using the original SD card once you are done, but just didnt want to mess with it since it had a lot of data on it? That is fine if so. Probably safer anyways. Once you are done with the guide you will have to copy a bunch of files to that card for it work properly, but it will just be drag and drop on the PC. Off the top of my head I know you will need to copy the "3ds" and "luma" folders that you have at the end of the tutorial, as well as arm9loaderhax.bin and gateway's launcher.bin.

As for the digital camera picture archive, did you not back up the contents of that sd card (the one from your camera) before starting?
Pretty much the idea, since it's basically about 18/32GB used (minus 1 gig for the existing, updated, GW emuNAND currently on it).

As to the second, technically I do... most of those pictures were already uploaded to my Facebook gallery; it just still blows because those were essentially my master files - all the uncompressed, print-worthy goodness of some great memories. True I have them available digitally too, but sometimes it's just nice to be able to see it in all its uncompressed, "master race" glory. Know what I mean? Now, I don't have that option anymore. :(

Well... now, another problem. Up to the point where it finished apparently setting up RedNAND on this SD card. It told me to go ahead and put the files back that were previously on it. So, of course, I put all the files I needed for all the steps thus far. Problem is, it isn't wanting to boot into homebrew launcher anymore, even though I did the setup to just press down while booting up for it. Trying to do it via the browser, and it just kicks back to the 3DS camera app, which then tells me "mystery" error. and it froze.

Last edited by codezer0,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much the idea, since it's basically about 18/32GB used (minus 1 gig for the existing, updated, GW emuNAND currently on it).

As to the second, technically I do... most of those pictures were already uploaded to my Facebook gallery; it just still blows because those were essentially my master files - all the uncompressed, print-worthy goodness of some great memories. True I have them available digitally too, but sometimes it's just nice to be able to see it in all its uncompressed, "master race" glory. Know what I mean? Now, I don't have that option anymore. :(

Ah yeah, that does suck. All I can really say is you probably should have backed them up to the computer before starting. Hell I tend to keep any sort of "master files" I want to protect on an external drive that I keep just for data backups.

Quick question regarding your endgame for this though. Do you intend to follow the guide through to end up with an updated sysnand and forgo the emunand completely (recommended setup)? Or did you plan to follow my little mini-guide from earlier to end up with an updated emunand and 9.2 sysnand?

Either option is viable, just depends on what you want in the end. Though I can tell you that an updated sysnand is the recommended/supported setup for most of the guides/tutorials on gbatemp. The only downside is you would be required to load Luma3DS whenever there is an update available and install it from there since Gateway does not include a firm protection anymore and updating sysnand with gateway mode would thus overwrite your a9lh (best case you end up on stock 11.x, worst case is a brick requiring a hardmod). If you stick with updated emunand and 9.2 sysnand you obviously don't have to worry about that.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, right now it's not loading the homebrew launcher, at all. Holding down while booting up after the instructions just ignored it and went to regular menu.

Anyways, yes, I was pretty much expecting to retain use of emuNAND and keep that updated, being that's where my legit profile is currently residing as far as my understanding, in the eyes of Nintendo.

Last edited by codezer0,

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, right now it's not loading the homebrew launcher, at all. Holding down while booting up after the instructions just ignored it and went to regular menu.

Anyways, yes, I was pretty much expecting to retain use of emuNAND and keep that updated, being that's where my legit profile is currently residing as far as my understanding, in the eyes of Nintendo.

Did you already load emunand9 and make an emunand? Cuz doing so would have formatted the sd card and wiped the contents. You would have had to put the homebrew launcher files back on it and set up menuhax again.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you already load emunand9 and make an emunand? Cuz doing so would have formatted the sd card and wiped the contents. You would have had to put the homebrew launcher files back on it and set up menuhax again.
Funny enough, I just tried that, and then it's saying that an error has occurred, and only gives me the option to press START to exit back out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hello, my friend.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I'm sorry to hear that.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, He said that my actitude was "cutty" and that our friendship wasnt going anywhere
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, You're not like that. I see you as a really kind individual.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds like you are better off than having a petty friend like that anyways. You win today.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, but both of us were fine yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah well, at least you got us (sorry if this sounds like some cornball ass "power of friendship" stuff)
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of hyped about the new ally finally a portable with full m.2 support
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda reminds me of a life lesson in the movie "Bronx Tale". Guy1 owes another, guy2 $10 and the guy2 keeps chasing guy1 around the city trying to get his money back, till someone tells him, "stop, you got off easy, its only $10. That guy will never bother you again or ask you for money again, so take it as a win."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guy1 will continue to talk shit about you constantly as well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because he knows what he did
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Speaking of which, where is my $10 Ken? And I heard you been talking crap bout me to my wife. Punk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You were standing right there when we were talking should've said something then
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking insurance gave me a migraine told me my dentist was in network now they're rejecting claims saying they aren't
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's what they do the best, pass the buck.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Insurance is a thing adults have to blow off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Insurance is one those things you pay all your life for, no questions asked, all is fine, they take your money. And as soon as you make a claim or something happens, they never want to payout or help, just fight you on everything if it cost them any of your money.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've never had a car accident, but I bet I've paid thousands/ million into car insurance that ill never see a dime of prob. Is crazy, but its the law.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I've never had a car accident, but I bet I've paid thousands/ million into car insurance that...