Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's rather specific. Why? The reason would probably help.

The office I work at has a Kids Zone with game stations and such. We used to have a couple DS lites that they kids could play on but we always had an issue with games walking out the door. So I was thinking about bringing them back in the form of 2DS's and maybe a flash cart give them a variety of games to play. But I'd need to secure the game cart from being able to walk out the door.

AdowTatep

Trophies
Website
adowtatep.com
XP
Country
Brazil
You install the .CIA through DevMenu or BigBlueMenu. It's an update. You'll run the game through the microSD found in your Gateway. At least that's what I believe.

So i can just install cias to updates or themes, ok, thank you! :D

As Phantom said, for games that need updates to play online, yes, installing as .cia is obligatory as updates come in cia form.

Other than that, this is the main difference:
.3ds files have headers. A header identifies THAT cart. if you play MY backup, then Nintendo can see that two people are playing the same CART, which is not possible. The way around this is to take a header from another game you have (even off-line game) and put it in using tools on a pc.
.cia however, uses the console header. Meaning if you install SMSB as a .cia, then that's it. make sure it's updated with another cia, and online play is available.

To take this header i need something like powersave or i can use devmenu? and then convert the .3ds to my header using some program on my pc. I have some 4 games that i could get it. And the offline games header work to play online games?

Sorry about this obvious questions but i want to be 100% "pro" when the update launch

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The office I work at has a Kids Zone with game stations and such. We used to have a couple DS lites that they kids could play on but we always had an issue with games walking out the door. So I was thinking about bringing them back in the form of 2DS's and maybe a flash cart give them a variety of games to play. But I'd need to secure the game cart from being able to walk out the door.

keep the 2ds is sleep mode and remove the cart, you'd need a fairly big sd card though

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i can just install cias to updates or themes, ok, thank you! :D

To take this header i need something like powersave or i can use devmenu? and then convert the .3ds to my header using some program on my pc. I have some 4 games that i could get it. And the offline games header work to play online games?

Sorry about this obvious questions but i want to be 100% "pro" when the update launch

Download gateway rom patcher >> open .3ds rom >> insert header >> change .3ds rom to .3dz. Now you're set for online

If updates are needed grab them from the eShop.

Reactions: Swizard

Glisern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's not obligatory at all, eShop update dumps are few and far between, you can get any updates you need from the eShop (which is alot safer than installing .cia updates, especially if they're not scene released) you can use .3ds or .3dz at all times just fine.
I stand corrected. Still haven't wrapped my head around sysnand, emunand and the possibility to update a non owned game on eshop. It's all very new to me :P

viral777

mecha connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just give them a GameSphere.

Its Spherical!!!

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
well yeah but I was hoping for a less permanent type of solution lol. More on the lines of an actual lock that could be removed if needed.

UMM ALL U NEED TO DO IS INJECT A HEADER FROM SA RETAIL CART BACKUP INTO YOUR SCENE ROM AND IT WORKS ONLINE ITS PRETTY SIMPLE sorry about the caps my caps lock is sticking some reason (probs leftovers that missed her face) and im not retyping it lol

AdowTatep

Trophies
Website
adowtatep.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Download gateway rom patcher >> open .3ds rom >> insert header >> change .3ds rom to .3dz. Now you're set for online

If updates are needed grab them from the eShop.

UMM ALL U NEED TO DO IS INJECT A HEADER FROM SA RETAIL CART BACKUP INTO YOUR SCENE ROM AND IT WORKS ONLINE ITS PRETTY SIMPLE sorry about the caps my caps lock is sticking some reason (probs leftovers that missed her face) and im not retyping it lol

I got that but, how do we get the headers? the header to inject? I have my own carts and i want to get their headers, one of it, to use on my roms, how do i dump them?

Eurger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of new to this whole Gateway thing. I've been reading through the thread and I see a lot of people mention .cia files. Can anyone explain what those are?

Piepokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really look forward to gateway finally, but I don't look forward to trying to figure out all the headers, cias, menus and whatnot. More likely than not, I'm gonna fuck something up. Well, no matter, worst that can happpen is I brick one of my 3ds'es.
Quick question, though, is it possible to use the same gateway and roms over two systems? I know about headers and whatnot, but if I have separate roms for each console would that mess anything up?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can so long as the two have FWs that use the same encryption for save files. (aka, you'll have save game issues if one console is on 4.5 while the other is on 9.2). But if both are the same FW or close to it, then you shouldn't have issues.

It's the games installed on the system SD card (the big one you insert into the console) and the Emunand that you can't use on other consoles. That's tied to the consoles unique encryption keys.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
UMM ALL U NEED TO DO IS INJECT A HEADER FROM SA RETAIL CART BACKUP INTO YOUR SCENE ROM AND IT WORKS ONLINE ITS PRETTY SIMPLE lol

The header from any game at all?

I'm kind of new to this whole Gateway thing. I've been reading through the thread and I see a lot of people mention .cia files. Can anyone explain what those are?
.cia is the file extension used by the 3ds, it's the same as a .wad from the wii, or a .exe on windows.

Reactions: cvskid

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CIA games install to the home screen much like an eShop download would. You'll need to run DevMenu or BigBlueMenu in order to install CIA files

Reactions: tnt_atp and cvskid

Eurger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA games install to the home screen much like an eShop download would. You'll need to run DevMenu or BigBlueMenu in order to install CIA files

Okay, so it's not something that's needed then? Just a personal preference thing?

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I got that but, how do we get the headers? the header to inject? I have my own carts and i want to get their headers, one of it, to use on my roms, how do i dump them?

you dump one real game using gateway but if u need a header i can share my pokemon y header with you since the game is now melted in a bonfire :/

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
whats keeping you guys "sane" while you wait?

me, im waiting for my gtx 980 to come in.
This waiting kills the waiting.

..its depressing.

Drawing on my surface pro
Playing GBA games on my DSTWO
Chill and hang out with friends...
Pretty much that. XD

And also using gateway on my 4.5 3DS :3

Reactions: VinsCool
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good afternoon
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good afternoon