Hacking Gateway 3DS - Region free issues?

Skyrider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is anyone familiar with games (for example, from the USA) playing on a EUR 3DS console? So far after a few attempts of launching the game I never had any issues, but as of yesterday.. This happened:

20140424_164044.jpg

I assume you can see what game it is and what the issue is ;). I'm just curious how reliable the "region free" feature really is and if I can expect this issue to happen on other games as well.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That doesn't seem like a standard issue. Perhaps your launcher.dat was corrupted in RAM after it was loaded and messed up the patched functions. Did you try just rebooting and trying again to see if the issue persists?

Skyrider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That doesn't seem like a standard issue. Perhaps your launcher.dat was corrupted in RAM after it was loaded and messed up the patched functions. Did you try just rebooting and trying again to see if the issue persists?

So far it happened once and a simple reboot of the 3DS fixed the issue.. I was forced to reboot actually because a few glitch pixels was showing up here and there but the more I played the game, the more pixels started showing up which ended with freezing the entire game. Quite weird.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, unless it occurs again, we can probably mark it off as a freak issue caused by abnormal circumstances. Let us know if it happens again so we can record it as a persistent issue and try to discover how it is triggered.

Skyrider

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Will do. Seeing I never received this in any other game (I usually only get EUR games, not outside my own region) I can assume this either might be related to region free or game-related.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually tbh I have never used a different region rom of any game on my M-SD card but I did once use a Monster Hunter 4 Jap version just to test it worked and I think that was what made my 64GB Transcend faulty, would not format the card locked up! I don't know for sure but it was working OK before the Monster Hunter 4 Jap version was wrote to the card, maybe it was just a coincidence but I shall never know now? Just a quick point, have you tested your Micro-SD card now since the error has popped up to see if it still works?, cause mine errored asap into a black screen with please power down, then I found out the card was faulty, afterwards games where dropping left right and center on the same Micro-SD card with the same error repeating itself! Monster Hunter 4 did just what yours did and the error popped up later on, this is why I am asking?

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been playing Project Mirai 2 (JP) pretty much all the time since the Omega beta came out. I'm also running the EU version of Bravely Default, among other games not from my (US) region. If it's a problem with playing out-of-region games, I can't say I've experienced it on my US console. The only other thing, is that I've recently lost the ability to access my SDXC card from a computer, though the GW3DS reads it just fine. It's not in issue for me though, as I already have all the games I want to play on it, and none are CARD2, so no save issues there either. It's certainly format-able though, so it's not locked or anything, just a corrupted index I'd bet.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a small correction, but my SDXC card started reading again as normal, so whatever happened, it fixed itself since.

Dewdrops

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It's a game bug that happened once to me with a normal 3DS and the retail game. Nothing to do with Gateway.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have encountered a number of Japanese 3DS games that are not playable because they will not accept input from the USA region keyboard. Fortunately some Japanese games have custom keyboards that do work fine. Anyone figure out a workaround?

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than the keyboard issues, I have not noticed any problems playing games from other regions on the USA region 3DS. I mostly play Japanese imports on game systems, so compatibility to do so is a must for me.

PercentSevenC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have encountered a number of Japanese 3DS games that are not playable because they will not accept input from the USA region keyboard. Fortunately some Japanese games have custom keyboards that do work fine. Anyone figure out a workaround?
Which ones, out of curiosity? I haven't run into that problem yet, since everything I've played so far has used custom keyboards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show