Hacking GATEWAY 3DS IS PREPARING A BIG UPDATE IN APRIL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're clearly over-exaggerating, or your SD card on your 3DS is from the stone age. You are right that it is faster to download on your PC and move files to SD card than it is to download on 3DS with freeShop, but you do realize you can download cia games just like you can download .3ds roms on your PC? You can then move those files *gasp*, to your SD card just as you would to your Gateway. Sure you'll still have to install them, but trying to justify Gateway because it saves you 2 minutes of your clearly very limited and precious time per game is retarded to say the least.
Downloading on the 3DS has NOTHING to do with your SD card speed because NO SD card is slower than the 3DS's wireless speed. You can still download .cia files on the PC as well, transfer them to SD, and install them faster than freeshop and the like, so WTF are you talking about? Try reading the whole thread and understand the context next time.

Your points aren't even remotely close to validating the continue usage of Gateway 3DS. Wow, you can use .3DS roms, that's all well and good. Expect you also can't update your emuNAND for months on end and often times you end up waiting so long, another update gets pushed out. But of course, that .3DS support, right?
Actually, most people still use Gateway because of the real-time cheat engine. Your updated firmware gains you WHAT exactly?
Gateway CFW lacks basic features like FIRM0/1 protect or support for any version of A9LH past V1, unless you jump through hoops to make it work.
Wrong. I'm on v2 and have Gateway and Luma as well. Not that I use Luma except for testing things...
But completely worth those few extra minutes you save copying over those .3DS roms.
Completely worth the cheat engine that even NTR users benefit from. Not to mention that before godmode9 and the like, it was the only foolproof way to do a FULL NAND backup and restore without a hard mod.

So while you sit there with 11.2, I am just going to install a CIA. By the time I am done installing my CIA, you will still be on 11.2
Umm... you can still install the same .cia with a Gateway. And it's still faster to download with a computer first. And I can still play every game there is on 11.2. So what?

Last edited by urherenow,

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why do people care about gateway users?
If you dont have something nice to say dont do it, i personally dont care if they are using rxtools, sky 3ds, gateway 3ds or luma
Is like if we were saying you should get a tablet instead of a nintendo switch because the only game it has is zelda Botw

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Signing your own firmware. Doesn't that sound fun enough? Opens up a whole new world of making the 3DS run things. Faster execution, better brick protection. A LOT safe than arm9loaderhax. It legit just corrupts boot0boot1 into saying, load this file. Also, getting the otp.bin is a bitch, you'd never have to do that again, just do it from 11.2 on ARM9.

I meant signing so it will pass OTHER signature checks.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And lets reply here too as I'm very amuzed about how naive some ppl are. Do you also try this argument at Apple stores?
"Guys, your Iphone 7 costs $230 to manufacture and if it had android on it other developers would be able to release updates way faster! ....so please sell me one for $230-250 with open-source firmware on it? Pretty please? I will praise you on random internet forum if you do this!"

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=A3P125-VQG100&v=1100 + spi chip, some smd components, microsd slot, plastic case.
BOM price of gateway is $15, maybe $20 with all the packaging and stuff. They can sell it for $50-60 because of encrypted loader. You're offering them to sell it at $20-25 and it will be immediately copied by numerous other manufacturers, just look at r4i market.

Thats a very noble but also very stupid and guaranteed way to kill your company so I hope that you'll never have to work in real market :)
You know, for someone who has been here since 2006, your memory seems to fail you on how successful the Acekard was. But of course if you were to argue that being closed-sourced is the only reason this card thrives, then your previous argument about Android completely crushes your closed-source = success. Android is open source and complete dominates the market, hell the HTC is actually still around. Amazing how being open source didn't cause HTC to go under. Not to mention Gateway actually is up against open source and free software, yet people are still using it. It's almost like people are using the card for more than just it's closed-source CFW.
And using my previous Acekard argument, akAIO actually was able to add an anti-clone detection that didn't brick the system. Amazing right? Something build by the community using open source software not only helped create a better card, but helped protect that card as well! Now of course akAIO was ended up being closed-source, but it wouldn't have existed if the Acekard team kept clinging to their source code like they did. If anything, Acekard would have gone down as just another cart in a sea of nothing special flashcards if it wasn't for the community support.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: AutumnWolf

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course I would expect results. I'm not defending GW team at all.
But some people shitting on that product itself and its history, like "who cares about GW anymore", "GW is blocked, no that anybody cares" and shit like that
Yeah, people care! Why? The reason is exactly what you just wrote
And you're completly right
I wrote that because the average user doesn't care, and my update threads are meant for the average user to know what works and what doesn't.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually, most people still use Gateway because of the real-time cheat engine. Your updated firmware gains you WHAT exactly? It's the principle of the matter not the feature. Yes, you got real-time cheats, but then spend 3 months without an actual update. Which I find unacceptable when free software gets either don't need to be updated to work or get updates with very little delay.

Wrong. I'm on v2 and have Gateway and Luma as well. Not that I use Luma except for testing things... Oh, I'm sorry, I got that out of date software version wrong

Completely worth the cheat engine that even NTR users benefit from. Not to mention that before godmode9 and the like, it was the only foolproof way to do a FULL NAND backup and restore without a hard mod. "Before godmode9" that says a lot there.

Umm... you can still install the same .cia with a Gateway. And it's still faster to download with a computer first. And I can still play every game there is on 11.2. So what? Already stated the issue with being out of date. And I am aware that you can install CIAs on Gateway, but if the argument is, "Gateway is worth it because .3DS are faster," then I won't argue that .3DS are faster. But I will argue that we get actual updates in a timely manor. So we may have to wait for cias to install, but at least we can actually update our system.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But sighax needs a9lh first unless you hardmod.

until a more capable firmware that still can get online is released, i don't see what isghax has to offer to those who hve a9lh.

it is an option for hardmodding when it gets release though.

Last edited by Zaphod77,

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
You know, for someone who has been here since 2006, your memory seems to fail you on how successful the Acekard was.
I actually still have my ak2i with limited edition red christmas box and I still use it on my dsi xl but I don't remember the prices situation very well. Iirc it was kinda succesful for some time but it had heavy competition with R4/M3 Simply, especially after release of Wood firmware?
Anyway my point is - it didn't cost $60 at that time (it was $12-15?), while gateway is able to sell their cards with 400% markup only because of closed loader.
And using my previous Acekard argument, akAIO actually was able to add an anti-clone detection that didn't brick the system.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/akaio-1-5-1-vs-wood-r4.225218/ and it was hacked and copied. Same with wood r4 which was hacked to run on numerous other cards.
As for brick protection - well, its their choice and you can't deny that it *does* work better than simply refusing to boot on clones.
then your previous argument about Android completely crushes your closed-source = success. Android is open source and complete dominates the market, hell the HTC is actually still around. Amazing how being open source didn't cause HTC to go under.
Now this is just wrong.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/2498.TW?ltr=1 check 5 years chart, HTC is barely alive and is a shadow of its former self. Sony has completely failed with smartphones, Motorola has died, etc.
Yes, android dominates the market but at what price? Google is getting its profits from ads (obviously not an option for gateway) and the only android hardware manufacturer who is getting some profits from hardware sales is Samsung. All others are getting almost nothing, especially compared to Apple:
https://theoverspill.blog/2015/02/0...surprising-number-from-q4s-smartphone-market/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10894200/android-smartphone-oem-profit
http://bgr.com/2016/01/22/iphone-vs-android-revenue-comparison/ read this
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/23/appl...nt-of-global-smartphone-profits-research.html and especially read this, I'll cp the most important part:
Third-quarter smartphone operating profit reached $9 billion globally of which Apple took 91 percent of the share

Android does not make a big profit, plain and simple, even with most % of the market. It dominates the market only because its cheap, like r4i clones which are sold with $0.5-1 markup. Gateway could open the code and lower the price to say $20 but then they would have to sell several times more which is just impossible, not to mention that it will be immediately copied.
So it doesn't make any sense to go that route, they will get more profit by selling very few cards at $60 than by burning everything and going open-source.

Last edited by nccom, , Reason: more typos

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually still have my ak2i with limited edition red christman box and I still use it on my dsi xl but I don't remember the prices situation very well. Iirc it was kinda succesful for some time but it had heavy competition with R4/M3 Simply, especially after release of Wood firmware?
Anyway my point is - it didn't cost $60 at that time (it was $12-15?), while gateway is able to sell their cards with 400% markup only because of closed loader.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/akaio-1-5-1-vs-wood-r4.225218/ and it was hacked and copied. Same with wood r4 which was hacked to run on numerous other cards.

Now this is just wrong.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/2498.TW?ltr=1 check 5 years chart, HTC is barely alive and is a shadow of its former self. Sony has completely failed with smartphones, Motorola has died, etc.
Yes, android dominates the market but at what price? Google is getting its profits from ads (obviosly is not an option for gateway) and the only android hardware manufacturer who is getting some profits from hardware sales is Samsung. All other are getting almost nothing, especially compared to Apple:
https://theoverspill.blog/2015/02/0...surprising-number-from-q4s-smartphone-market/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10894200/android-smartphone-oem-profit
http://bgr.com/2016/01/22/iphone-vs-android-revenue-comparison/ read this
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/23/appl...nt-of-global-smartphone-profits-research.html and especially read this, I'll cp the most important part:
Third-quarter smartphone operating profit reached $9 billion globally of which Apple took 91 percent of the share

Android does not make a big profit, plain and simple, even with most % of the market. It dominates the market only because its cheap, like r4i clones which are sold with $0.5-1 markup. Gateway could open the code and lower the price to say $20 but then they would have to sell several times more which is just impossible, not to mention that it will be immediately copied.
So it doesn't make any sense to go that route, they will get more profit by selling very few cards at $60 than by burning everything and going open-source.
So before going completely off topic, my point was to point out the open-source does not equal doom. And even with some hacks and clones of Wood R4/akAIO, they were about as successful as Gateway clones.
Now the smartphone argument is way off topic and only brought up as a point that HTC didn't go completely under.

Now to actually be on topic, with the release of 11.4, I don't foresee Gateway making any actual progress this month. 11.4 added another NATIVE_FIRM requirement to 11.4, meaning Gateway needs to work around that.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

until a more capable firmware that still can get online is released, i don't see what isghax has to offer to those who hve a9lh.

Right now, all we can do is patch the current firmware functions (and/or piggyback off of them). With a working sighax, we can sign and run a complete custom firmware. At that point, the only limitation we will have will be the hardware capabilities and our own imaginations :P

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
my point was to point out the open-source does not equal doom
It usually equals to losing a huge amount of money. But yeah, we've gotten very offtopic there :)
And my point was that gateway will never go open-source route, it will simply kill them.
11.4 added another NATIVE_FIRM requirement to 11.4, meaning Gateway needs to work around that.
I could be wrong here but I think their all previous launchers all used very old firm, 7x something? So they only need to write a new launcher which will support loading firm from current firmware instead of using old one from launcher itself. Basically they will have to change the way it works and next releases will be made much faster.
But we'll see how it goes for them, right now all games are still working fine on 11.2 emunand so imo its not that important.

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States

It needs arm9. Not arm9loaderhax. It just needs arm9kernel. arm9loaderhax and arm9kernel have the same permissions, arm9loaderhax is just faster and more reliable of an entrypoint. But no, you do not need arm9loaderhax.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I could be wrong here but I think their all previous launchers all used very old firm, 7x something? So they only need to write a new launcher which will support loading firm from current firmware instead of using old one from launcher itself. Basically they will have to change the way it works and next releases will be made much faster.
But we'll see how it goes for them, right now all games are still working fine on 11.2 emunand so imo its not that important.
I am pretty sure their launcher would have had been based on something 9.5+ in order to work on OFW past 9.5. I could be wrong, I just know they added 9.5+ after one of the free CFW added it.
Still, they need to actually update the NATIVE_FIRM they are using for their CFW. Which I am actually kind of shocked that they aren't just looking at the source codes provided by free CFWs still using firmware.bin files.
m3 sakura gui for life <3
M3+Sakura is the real OTP

Reactions: Deleted User

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FACTS, ONLY PURE FACTS PLEASE!!!!

Its not true that GW users are stuck on older firmwares, we can be on franken firmwares.....

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now, all we can do is patch the current firmware functions (and/or piggyback off of them). With a working sighax, we can sign and run a complete custom firmware. At that point, the only limitation we will have will be the hardware capabilities and our own imaginations :P
Get back to me when you make a fully functional custom firmware lol It will be a while before we even get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...