Gaming frustration

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaming frustrations this time, huh? OK. I got a few.

- Watching a legendary franchise die or simply be desecrated by going with what's popular instead of what the series does well.Sonic the Hedgehog suddenly needing 'dark' and 'edgy' characters, the craptastic Sonic the Fighters being made simply because fighters were popular, and sweet merciful christ, Sonic R. Which out of sheer boredom I just finished 100% in one sitting on my PS2. Picked up Sonic Gems Collection for 20p today. The music...oh, the music. The characters that control like early 40's Soviet battle tanks. Games should stick to what they do best. Sonic should run fast in 2D. Mario should do much the same, not run a hotel. Link should appear on Nintendo consoles. Final Fantasy should be open and have a huge world full of secrets. The Imagine series should fuck off and die. You get the idea.

- Facebook games, especially when people flood my status feed bragging about their so-called achievements. Post when you've cured cancer. Until then shut up.

- Sudden cruel jumps in difficulty. I hate it when I'm enjoying a good RPG and all of a sudden some bullshit boss comes out of nowhere that can suddenly kick my ass despite nothing else being a threat to me. Case and point, Final Fantasy XII. I'm levelling up at a decent rate, nothing is much of a threat to me, I enter a new area, the map clearly shows I didn't take a wrong turn, and next thing you know even my summons are getting their faces kicked through by bats. BULLSHIT.

- Seeing a great idea ruined by a lack of care and attention from the developer. Some of the bad games I play at least had potential at the conceptual level. They suffered when they weren't given the budget they deserved. Hell. if the controls had been fixed and the music wasn't an abomination, even Sonic R had a few not so terrible featues. Replayability in collecting the tokens, Chaos Emeralds, etc. Given more care and attention to fix the controls and put better music in, maybe add more tracks, it could have been at least tolerable.

- Games that have no right to exist on this earth. E.T for Atari 2600, Superman 64, any and all shovelware, etc. Things that suck so hard they give the entire industry a bad name.

- Modern gaming's obsession with the 'gritty' style. So many paint-by-numbers damn near identical grey military FPS games that were ok when they got started but now it's beyond a joke. So much boring grey. So many dust clouds. Give me Super Mario World's beautiful colourful adventure over yet another COD wannabe. I guess this also covers gaming's 'copycat' nature. One game hits it big, everything else suddenly copies it and wants to be just like it to make a fast buck, and they all end up sucking because we've seen it all before. How many games were basically cheap imitations of Halo when it first hit big? Come on, guys. Variety is the spice of life, and copying everyone else makes for a dull meal.

I know saying that games should show originality conflicts with my earlier statement that they should stick to what they do best, but to clarify, established franchises with a strong fan base like Final Fantasy should stick with what they do best. Sure, expand on it and try new things, but keep the spirit of what we know and love in there somewhere. FFXIII sucked balls because there was nothing to do. New games should feel free to experiment because there are no expectations. When you built an empire doing something well, like Sonic did with his 2D speed, you don't take a dump all over those fans by doing the exact opposite in the name of getting new fans. You already have customers in those that have been there all along. Respect them and show them the loyalty they showed you. Don't go making crap like Sonic the Fighters to be like everyone else.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many games were basically cheap imitations of Halo when it first hit big?

Um, I can't actually think of a single one.

The number of "CoD clones" is greatly exaggerated. Arguably one triple A game can be argued as a "CoD clone" and that's Homefront. It does basically play the same, the only difference is setting. I mean there's shitty games like "Modern Combat" for iOS but there's clones of everything on iOS.

But I digress.

On topic, I mentioned it in the wrong thread but Shao Kahn in the latest Mortal Kombat. I loved the game but fuck this game.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any RPG/JRPG with invisible enemies and the frequency they pop up D:

Everytime I'm looking for them and want to level grind for items/equipment/money and they are scarce. When I'm trying to progress through a story plot OMFG it won't stop.

D

Deleted_171835

The Thrill Digger game in Skyward Sword. I've spent hundreds of Rupees just trying to dig up all the Rupees and I always encounter a bomb. I'm never going to get the 'Rare Treasure'. :(

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
How many games were basically cheap imitations of Halo when it first hit big?

Um, I can't actually think of a single one.

The number of "CoD clones" is greatly exaggerated. Arguably one triple A game can be argued as a "CoD clone" and that's Homefront. It does basically play the same, the only difference is setting. I mean there's shitty games like "Modern Combat" for iOS but there's clones of everything on iOS.

But I digress.

On topic, I mentioned it in the wrong thread but Shao Kahn in the latest Mortal Kombat. I loved the game but fuck this game.

By which I meant games that copied the rebounding health meter, the silent protagonist, etc. I guess COD is a better example. There are a lot of craptastic FPS games out there, especially on the Xbox 360 from what I've played, that are just another boring grey dust cloud FPS game about someone wanting to invade America. Starting to make me wish someone would actually invade America just to justify all this bloody paranoia.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By which I meant games that copied the rebounding health meter, the silent protagonist, etc. I guess COD is a better example. There are a lot of craptastic FPS games out there, especially on the Xbox 360 from what I've played, that are just another boring grey dust cloud FPS game about someone wanting to invade America. Starting to make me wish someone would actually invade America just to justify all this bloody paranoia.

The silent protagonist? Um, I think a certain theoretical physicist feels rather snubbed right now. Also the protagonist of Black Ops isn't silent at all. Jake Sully was quite loud actually.

There's not really a "craptastic". I mean there's a few but people are making it out like the console is only FPS games. There's CoD, Battlefield, and Homefront. That's about it for "boring grey dust cloud FPS games".

It's really very exaggerated.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there is the rebooted Medal of Honor and its upcoming sequel, but we don't talk about that.

Ah yes, I did forget this one. And rightfully so.

But if we're talking about shit "dust cloud" FPS games...

css-go.jpg

It fits the criteria.

Reactions: 1 person

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
There are more than a few games that are copycat titles. Take when Gears of War came out. Suddenly everything was about power armoured space marine wannabes hiding behind chest high walls. Led to games like Section 8 or whatever the bloody hell it was called. Dull, uninspired, etc. Then chest high walls became pretty much the norm for 3ds person action games. Some games made it work, like Uncharted, because they didn't rely on the gimmick. They had their own reasons to be played instead of hoping that you somehow think you're playing the game they're ripping off instead.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are more than a few games that are copycat titles. Take when Gears of War came out. Suddenly everything was about power armoured space marine wannabes hiding behind chest high walls. Led to games like Section 8 or whatever the bloody hell it was called. Dull, uninspired, etc. Then chest high walls became pretty much the norm for 3ds person action games. Some games made it work, like Uncharted, because they didn't rely on the gimmick. They had their own reasons to be played instead of hoping that you somehow think you're playing the game they're ripping off instead.

I've heard Section 8: Prejudice is actually quite good. A friend of mine really enjoyed it.

Also relating certain thinks like "chest high walls" to copycatting is like equating every platformer to a Mario clone for having the ability to jump. There's a large difference between Gears of War and most of the TPS games I've played.

My general point is that the cry of this generation being "unoriginal" and "nothing but copycats" is greatly over-exaggerated. If anything the fact that we have games that people can proclaim as being "copycatted" shows that there's quite a bit of originality this generation.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country

I've heard Section 8: Prejudice is actually quite good. A friend of mine really enjoyed it.

Also relating certain thinks like "chest high walls" to copycatting is like equating every platformer to a Mario clone for having the ability to jump. There's a large difference between Gears of War and most of the TPS games I've played.

My general point is that the cry of this generation being "unoriginal" and "nothing but copycats" is greatly over-exaggerated. If anything the fact that we have games that people can proclaim as being "copycatted" shows that there's quite a bit of originality this generation.

I'm not saying don't have features like the chest high wall thing, just use them to build something bigger and better. A lot of games these days seem to rely too much on the current gimmicks. Chest high walls do not make a game. Gears of War was something original. Hunted:Demon's Forge merely had chest high walls, it didn't really build on the concept to bring us anything noteworthy. It's not the gimmicks I dislike. More the way developers sometimes consider them shortcuts to a quick and undeserved buck.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Solidus Snake on Extreme, that ass just didn't want to die. Also an honorable mention from Solidus is when he's choking you and you have to tap the button really fast to live, man that was annoying.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Solidus Snake on Extreme, that ass just didn't want to die. Also an honorable mention from Solidus is when he's choking you and you have to tap the button really fast to live, man that was annoying.

on european extreme difficulty the torture part is impossible, i even used a turbo pad and it still wasn't enough XD

another frustrating game for me recently was demon souls, i was playing yesterday and was on my 2nd playthrough trying to get the Old King's Trophy, you have to get the Mausoleum Key and unlock the door and defeat Old King Doran, but to do that you have to find Ostrava and kill his black phantom form, i got to the area and was just about to attack him and he fell off the side, the path was so narrow that i fell off aswell and lost all of my souls, not only that but because Ostrava fell to his death in the pits of hell you can't fight him again and with that you loose getting the Mausoleum Key because what he drops is lost too forever and have to play a completely new game to get it again! i was in complete nerd rage when that happened because that was the only trophy i needed for platinum!

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
  • Irisu Syndrome: Getting up to or past the 40,000 point mark and unlocking Metsu mode is extremely difficult, let alone getting 100,000 points for one of the endings!
  • Minecraft: The place I picked to build a house is conveniently in Creeper town. Ugh.
  • Okami: Blockheads. Enough said.
  • Nanashi no Game: Blind Terror mode. The game is amazing and I've memorized everything about it, but screw this mode and its terrors.
  • Uru: Complete Chronicles: The Great Zero marker quests are BRUTALLY tedious and vague. There is just one I cannot seem to find because the marker point finder is trying to make me jump off a cliff. I look in the lower passages of Ae'Gura and don't find it there, either!
  • Jam with the Band: The four-part Kumikyoku track I downloaded is impossible for human beings, yet I want to finish it so bad!
  • Rayman: The final boss. Excuse me while I go stab myself to death with a PS2 controller and a PS1 memory card.
  • Watching my roommates attempt to play ANY DDR game is just painful. I know they're having fun and they're trying, but seriously? They're working on easy difficulty and can't get more than 75% or so.

Empoleom

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
fucking my playthrough in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon at the second to last chapter, because I suck at tactics

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat that part, though after many many, many failed attempts, I thought of a little trick
specifically a screwdriver
flip the screwdriver around so the top of the handle is on the bottom, grab the handle and place it over the x bitton, and keep moving back and forth over the x button, I found it to be easier then button smashing

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most of my frustration these days comes from Osu. Most recent would be nearly SSing a song on my second try. One perfect beat off. Yet every single time I try again, I do worse and worse. Nearly threw my damn keyboard out the window after a while. That bastard 100 still taunts me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Perpo @ Perpo: heyy does anybody knows a library where to find shader cache for ryujinx?