Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

LolGuyX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I found something problematic in Gameyob V0.41 (Not sure if it is in previous versions too).
When scaling enabled at full screen, the top screen is getting some temporarily stuck pixels. They might even become real stuck pixels because it worsens the longer you play (Im too scared to test this. but I think it could happen.)

An easy way to reproduce/see it yourself is this: (I found it by doing this too so..)

use default settings (sound fix on, w f vblank off. scaling full.
Play pokemon gold for like 30/60 minutes
Enter a random house, and look at the pixels in the black borders around the inside of the house.
you can see some pixels not being black, but white instead.
if you reboot your system (dsi/dsi xl) you should be able to see those stuck pixels too (the screen turns white for a seccond and now you can see those pixels because they are not as white as the rest of the screen)
after doing something else like playing a ds game for about 10 minutes, the pixels are back to normal.

I was using a DSi XL with a supercard in it (micro sd = class 4 sdhc). It only happens in gameyob so im really sure that gameyob is the problem here.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found something problematic in Gameyob V0.41 (Not sure if it is in previous versions too).
When scaling enabled at full screen, the top screen is getting some temporarily stuck pixels. They might even become real stuck pixels because it worsens the longer you play (Im too scared to test this. but I think it could happen.)

An easy way to reproduce/see it yourself is this: (I found it by doing this too so..)

use default settings (sound fix on, w f vblank off. scaling full.
Play pokemon gold for like 30/60 minutes
Enter a random house, and look at the pixels in the black borders around the inside of the house.
you can see some pixels not being black, but white instead.
if you reboot your system (dsi/dsi xl) you should be able to see those stuck pixels too (the screen turns white for a seccond and now you can see those pixels because they are not as white as the rest of the screen)
after doing something else like playing a ds game for about 10 minutes, the pixels are back to normal.

I was using a DSi XL with a supercard in it (micro sd = class 4 sdhc). It only happens in gameyob so im really sure that gameyob is the problem here.

The DSi XL has a known problem with screen burn-ins. There are some homebrew that flash colors on the screen to get it off earlier, but since I don't have a DSi XL I can't test them.

LolGuyX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DSi XL has a known problem with screen burn-ins. There are some homebrew that flash colors on the screen to get it off earlier, but since I don't have a DSi XL I can't test them.

I am using a DSi XL, and i've had this problem with 1 other homebrew too. Is it safe to keep using my dsi for this?

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
this app works file on soduku haxed dsi, it is safe to keep using, i think as ds mode is in a sandbox from dsi mode. It would actually be more dangerous to run this under soduku hax because of its ability to read/write nand.

joeyjoey396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It freezes half the time I save. I think I'm sticking with lameboy since I'm kinda paranoid about my pokemon saves. Other than that it's great

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using a DSi XL, and i've had this problem with 1 other homebrew too. Is it safe to keep using my dsi for this?

All the burn-ins should eventually go away, and if all else fails there's the homebrew I mentioned. You should be safe.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
is there any reason why all my games freeze at the GBC bios when the option is turned on? everything works just fine with the GBC bios option turned off.

You Got Served!

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I'm just after opinions from experienced users if you would be so kind.. Just bought a Dstwo card for my son (he's 5 on Friday) and I'm not sure which GB emulator to use. At present I literally only want a GB emulator for Super Mario Land, would Lameboy suffice? Am I likely to run in to any problems with GameYob? Which is the most stable and user friendly? (bearing in mind he's 5).

Also, with regards to GBA emulators which would you suggest for being the most stable and user friendly? I've read that NDSGBA can corrupt micro SD cards after a while is there any truth in this? Would TempGBA be highly recommended in all cases? Again the game library won't be huge but it will certainly be used a LOT.

Most stable, user friendly and game compatible Snes emultor?

He will be running the Dstwo with the offical menu on a NDSL.

Many thanks for any replies and massive appriciation for this forum it's been a great help

joeyjoey396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm just after opinions from experienced users if you would be so kind.. Just bought a Dstwo card for my son (he's 5 on Friday) and I'm not sure which GB emulator to use. At present I literally only want a GB emulator for Super Mario Land, would Lameboy suffice? Am I likely to run in to any problems with GameYob? Which is the most stable and user friendly? (bearing in mind he's 5).

Also, with regards to GBA emulators which would you suggest for being the most stable and user friendly? I've read that NDSGBA can corrupt micro SD cards after a while is there any truth in this? Would TempGBA be highly recommended in all cases? Again the game library won't be huge but it will certainly be used a LOT.

Many thanks for any replies and massive appriciation for this forum it's been a great help
I would stick with Gameyob. It can be tweaked so your son can change the controls if they're uncomfortable. It's more user-friendly than lameboy. TempGBA is definitely recommended, and I'm pretty sure it has better compatibility. For SNES use CATSFC. It works with every game I tried, Super Metroid, Super Mario Allstars Super Mario World, Zelda 3, and a lot more.

Reactions: Tiger21820

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there any reason why all my games freeze at the GBC bios when the option is turned on? everything works just fine with the GBC bios option turned off.
A lot of hacked roms have trouble getting past the bios, but commercial games should be okay.

For super mario land, either would suffice. The interfaces are probably too complicated for a 5 year old (especially in gameyob because it has many more features), but it shouldn't be a problem for such a simple game. In games which require saving, definitely use gameyob with autosaving enabled. Though this causes lag in a few games, it guarantees you won't lose data if you power off the DS before pressing X, as long as you've saved in-game. (see the first post for info on that.)

Compatibility-wise, lameboy has a flickering problem in the status bar in SML. Other than that they are fine in both.

Gameyob 0.4.1 has a few problems with sleep mode, but if you use the "latest build" link in the first post, you shouldn't encounter any problems.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
A lot of hacked roms have trouble getting past the bios, but commercial games should be okay.

For super mario land, either would suffice. The interfaces are probably too complicated for a 5 year old (especially in gameyob because it has many more features), but it shouldn't be a problem for such a simple game. In games which require saving, definitely use gameyob with autosaving enabled. Though this causes lag in a few games, it guarantees you won't lose data if you power off the DS before pressing X, as long as you've saved in-game. (see the first post for info on that.)

Compatibility-wise, lameboy has a flickering problem in the status bar in SML. Other than that they are fine in both.

Gameyob 0.4.1 has a few problems with sleep mode, but if you use the "latest build" link in the first post, you shouldn't encounter any problems.

So your saying all 300 of my games are hacked? there definitely not so i dunno whats going on

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So your saying all 300 of my games are hacked? there definitely not so i dunno whats going on

Then I'm not sure. Maybe the bios file is corrupted, though I don't see how that would happen. I'm assuming you're using v0.4.1 or a newer build.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually, Drenn, I wanted to know about that... 0.4.1 came out with a few odd bugs like the sleep one. Have they been squashed in the latest SVN? Can I use it as a "stable" version?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, Drenn, I wanted to know about that... 0.4.1 came out with a few odd bugs like the sleep one. Have they been squashed in the latest SVN? Can I use it as a "stable" version?

Since 0.4.1, I've fixed bugs with sleep mode, cheats, and apparent "muddiness" in sound. Canadacdn also noted a bug with scaling, I haven't been able to reproduce that exactly. Is there something else?

I just noticed an odd bug in the newer builds when borders are disabled, I'll try to fix that today. Other than that it should be more "stable" than 0.4.1.
(Edit: This is fixed now.)

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since 0.4.1, I've fixed bugs with sleep mode, cheats, and apparent "muddiness" in sound. Canadacdn also noted a bug with scaling, I haven't been able to reproduce that exactly. Is there something else?

I just noticed an odd bug in the newer builds when borders are disabled, I'll try to fix that today. Other than that it should be more "stable" than 0.4.1.
(Edit: This is fixed now.)
Thanks a lot for the hard work, the sleep and sound bugs were the ones that forced me to revert to 0.3 unstable. Will upgrade to the latest release now!

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Hi,

The only game I have noticed, that wont work with the GBC Bios on, is Kid Icarus: Myth and Monsters.

Can anybody else confirm that this game is troublesome OR should I go look for another version of the rom?

/dACE

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

The only game I have noticed, that wont work with the GBC Bios on, is Kid Icarus: Myth and Monsters.

Can anybody else confirm that this game is troublesome OR should I go look for another version of the rom?

/dACE

If a game doesn't work with the GBC Bios on, it doesn't work on a real gameboy. If it's just that game that doesn't work, I'd think that you have a bad rom. You can confirm this by trying it with the bios in another emulator - say, bgb. Or just try to find another rom.

This may seem random, but I was bored, so GameYob now supports GBS playback. Someone requested that months ago.

pyrofool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to get some kind of whitelist support for the GBC color, SBG, and GBA extra feature support. That way we can set game ids that work with those settings or ones that are know not to work when setting are turned on?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to get some kind of whitelist support for the GBC color, SBG, and GBA extra feature support. That way we can set game ids that work with those settings or ones that are know not to work when setting are turned on?

If a game doesn't work when one of those settings is turned on, that's a bug. There should be no reason to disable those options aside from personal preference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....