gamestop....

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamestops still sell old games? Holy crap.
My EBgames cleared out the last of its GBA games last yearish. It doesn't have anything but current gen at typical prices. I picked up a few for around $5-10. Most expensive was Tales of Phantasia for $10, and I couldn't find it anywhere else locally.

The prices are set at a point where, sure, they're not that great of a deal, but if you have Game X that was brand new, opened and then traded in. It's $X. Game Y that was older, more used and has a few noticable scratches is also priced at $X. Why? because they can't individually price every single game based on how worn it is. It's unrealistic considering the volume of games they have. So they, of course, set it at the highest price and make that the bar. Is it truly fair? No. Don't like it? Good, don't buy it. They don't give a shit, we don't give a shit, hell deep down you don't give a shit either.

Comparing gamestop to ebay prices is also asinine. It's an auction site where you're trying to get sellers to buy your item over Joe Smith who just undercut your auction by a $1.50. It's like saying "Yeah I bought pokemon white off my friend for a nickel, why doesn't gamestop sell for those prices?"
Comparing it to other stores is actually pretty pointless as well. Gamestop sells games, game/console accessories and game consoles. Bestbuy sells office equipment, stationary, yoga equipment, TVs, car equipment, appliances, instruments, etc etc etc etc, and some videogames. Their entire revenue doesn't hinge on them selling their merchandise at a noticeable markup.

They're a business. if you don't like the prices, don't go there. i guarantee their variety of games is a hell of a lot better than most local stores, and the prices aren't that brutal, unless US gamestop and Canadian EBgames differs quite a lot. Want a deal when selling? Sell online. Want a deal when buying? Buy online or pray another store has the game, but good luck if it's more obscure or a bit older. No point bitching about their business model. Gamestop/EBgames is doing quite well, and there's a reason for it. It works.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's pretty much Gamestop's strategy: "Buy 'em used, buy 'em cheap, and then ratchet up the price."

If you want to get the most possible money for your games/accessories, then you are better off selling it on your own (Either here or through Ebay, Craigslist, or another, similar site).

JustChillin1414

<3 Tiny Tina
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I took my Gameboy Advance SP there and they offered me $15, that was when I was like 12. I was like fuck no, so I went home, created an eBay account and sold it there for $50. I've never traded in or bought any of their used things since and I don't plan on doing so in the future. If given a choice to buy something from say, Future Shop or EBGames (Canadian GameStop) I'd go with Future Shop. The only reason I bought anything from EBGames is that Future Shop was sold out :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: LMFAO