gamestop....

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by DJPlace, Jan 22, 2012.

Jan 22, 2012

gamestop.... by DJPlace at 4:47 PM (1,622 Views / 3 Likes) 23 replies

1. DJPlace
    OP

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    what a rip off i had some loose game stuff like a wiimote a motion plus where you plug into the wiimote and a third party nunchuck (which i thought was the nintendo brand) guess how much they offered for all of that?

wiimote=4
    motion plus plug in wiimote=4
    thrid party nunchuck=2.50

8.50 for all of that which i spent well like 50-60 bucks

well no thank you that's a fucking ripoff i think i'm not going trade anything at gamestop anymore...

think i'm going keep my shit... even if i need the money for OMGZ i need this game nowz!!

well still that was not a good deal luckly i called before i traded it in.

i was going pre-order some games but nope i'm not doing that... i might has well go to the flea market or some local store in my area to do that. but i'm going call first just to make sure...

tell me what you guys think if gamestop trade in's are ripoff's and stuff...

3 people like this.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Gamestop has and will always be a ripoff trade-in place. They gain tons of profit off of selling used games for more than what they buy them for.

eBay is your best bet. I just sell to Gamestop cause I'm lazy as fuck.

3 people like this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    ...did you just notice this now? Gamestop has always been like that. A month or 2 ago a friend of mine traded in his copy of GTA IV for like....$10-$15 and a week later I traded in mine and got $7 for it (and mine was in better condition than his). That's why I only trade in games/accessories when they have those "Get 50% more trade-in credit blah blah* things for Powerup Rewards members.

1 person likes this.
  4. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They would have likely sold that stuff back for 10 times as much.

5. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    I somehow doubt gamestop are going to sell games for less than what they buy them for.

1 person likes this.
  6. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Gamestop is a terrible place that I refuse to go to. I really think they hurt game sales more than piracy. I know more people that go to gamestop to buy used games than people that pirate. In both cases game companies make no money, but in the former gamestop makes a huge profit getting $40 for a game they gave some sucker $5 for (if that). On top of that the employees are so damn annoying constantly trying to convince you to pre-order stuff and buy game guides just so they can make even more money off you.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You should've posted an ad on the temp or go somewhere else, you should get $10 for the mote and plus alone.

8. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    While I'm not saying Gamestop is the best place to go, you sir are quite stupid if those are your reasons to hate on Gamestop.

First off, selling used games is pretty much the only way Gamestop makes it's money. They get few profits from new games, there is no way for Gamestop to even exist if that's all they sold. Secondly, your perception of "buy it for $5 and sell it for $40" is way off. Besides, you don't have to sell them your game. Thirdly, the employees have to push all that shit, it's a part of their job.

1 person likes this.
  9. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Normally when you buy a new game the cost include a lot. Since some of it goes to the console the game is for, some of it to the company that did the game, then the shipping and a lot of other stuff.
    But when you trade in a game and gamestop buy it from you for almost nothing and then re-sell it for almost new copy price, they gain much much MUCH more money then they did when they sold the game the first time.

I never ever buy games or consoles at Gamestop anymore because of this + they are the most expensive store to buy games. Well here in Sweden at least.

Indeed, they do what they have to, to keep their jobs and get (maybe) a higher salary.

10. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States

11. Jakob95
    This message by Jakob95 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 7, 2016.
    Jan 22, 2012
  12. DeathStrudel
    This message by DeathStrudel has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 7, 2016.
    Jan 22, 2012
  13. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States

14. DeathStrudel
    This message by DeathStrudel has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 7, 2016.
    Jan 22, 2012
  15. Tom Bombadildo
    This message by Tom Bombadildo has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 7, 2016.
    Jan 22, 2012
  16. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    People trade things into gamestop because it's simple and easy. It was never in any way meant to give you true value for your item. Though, I might remind you that there's such a thing as depreciation on items. The second it goes from new to used, it drops in value. The more the item is used and the older it gets, the less it's worth. Gamestop exaggerates, but a lot of people think their $50 wiimote is worth $50. It's not. It's worth maybe $20, if that. Depends how old it is.
    EDIT: and tie into that, the fact that you're selling a used item to a merchant who plans to go to the effort of reselling it for a profit, it's hard to complain you're getting ripped off. Trading into gamestop is the equivalent to being a lazy bastard.

When I traded games in, it's because I wanted a quick buck for a minor discount on a game I wanted. I'm too lazy to go through the effort of selling the item myself, so i'll let gamestop do that and make themselves a hefty profit. Good for 'em.

4 people like this.
  17. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    I agree. I would rather give my money to the developer than to some random guy.

18. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Alot of people would rather do that but sadly companys wait to long to lower the prices of their games hence why alot of people(including myself) buy it used somewhere...

19. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    Amazon.com and BestBuy.com during Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals are the way to go.

Even when there are no deals, with Amazon you still get free shipping, don't have to pay tax, and more often than not you can get brand-new games for cheaper than retail (usually a few dollars off, but sometimes a lot more). The games get delivered straight to your door, so you don't have to drive to the store to buy it.

I'll never go to GameStop again. I hate that shitty store.

20. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I usually buy my video games from Newegg now. They have good deals and free shipping/no tax.

21. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Gamestop should buy your old worn down junk for full retail price, then turn around and sell it for half that. That would sure be a great retail model. Well, for the day or two before they go broke anyway.

22. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I traded in my "broken" 360 into gamestop on last black friday and got $115 credit for it and bought a brand new slim for only $42 + that credit :lol:

but yeah unless you can find crazy trade in deals, it not worth it, gamestop is just a middle man looking to make money like every other company

23. gameandmatch

Member gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Gamespot always been a ripoff and I always hated it. If you want to get back at them you can always use this method

1 person likes this.
  24. Majorami

Banned Majorami Banned

United States
    Thats well and all good, but Gamestop had the tendency of selling used games surprisingly close to "New" games.
    There are tons of examples where an unopened game that went down to $30, has a used copy (sometimes just the disc) for like $27-$28.

We know that they have to sell a game more than they paid because thats buisness, but its insulting when they buy up your games for chicken scratch, and then have the audacity to price them just a couple of dollars below the new/unopened prices. They also have the knack of overpricing games. Used GBA games such as Pokemon go for $30, NES Classic Super Mario Bros is $30, and there are a shit-ton of Disney and Nickleodeon games that go for $5-$15 used. Used copies of Bratz, Catz, and Barbie games ARE NOT worth $10, and should not be priced as such. "New" copies of Twilight Princess sell for $20 on eBay, but go for $30 used at Gamestop.

On more than one occasion I'd find "used" games priced higher at Gamestop than "new" games at Best Buy just down the street. I'm not saying that my used copy of Twilight Princess is worth even $5, I'm just saying that if they're gonna sell it for $30, then I expect atleast $8 for it.

1 person likes this.