Gaming Games with the dumbest control schemes..

Scyris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok Out of the 45 or so NDS games i've played, of the ones that use the stylus only 3 actually needed it, and the others its just an annoyence. The 3 that the stylus worked well for was "Castlevania the one with soma (forgot name) The world ends with you, and knights in the nightmare..

Then we have the games where you just go wth? when you gotta use the stylus, take Final Fantasy Crystal Chronices: Rings of Fate. You hit R to go into using your race special, then you gotta click a mob with the stylus.. this is just stupid when it auto highlights the nearest monster and you should be able to just hit A to do the attack. Same with viewing the map, L seems to do nothing and should of had map set to it insted of needing to always have the stylus in my hand, its just totally akward (This is also why the Wii is a failure (A Dev from Nintendo in japan even says its having problems over there), no game devs wanna bother with it due to the control setup. Etran Oddessy 1 and possibly 2 (Never played 2) is another dumb concept, why not just have the map drawn for you insted of having to waste the players time drawing walls and crap.

I think they should allow you to opt to NOT use the stylus in games like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass if the player so chooses. What was wrong with all the other zelda games that used a controller? Maybe its just me but I find the whole touch screen/stylus crap just a major annoyence when playing most games. Anyone else feel this way?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't like the stylus controlled walking in the Euro/USA version of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass... Thankfully, the Japanese version has D-pad walking.... And there is a Japan version hacked with English text floating around...

Scyris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah Its kinda stupid they need to stop using stylus controls when it is not needed which is 98% of the games.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Super Mario 64 DS.
It would suck if you didn't have a thumb stylus. You would have to use the third setting if you didn't have those thumb stylus things.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Looks like our opinions differ a lot. I like many stylus controlled games. Its where the innovation shines. Cooking Mama franchise may just be some lame, undiversed touchscreen games, but I still find it fun. GTA had some touch screen games, and I don't find it redundant. And I find LoZ: PH to be a pretty fun experience too. And games like that too, like Overlord: Minions.

And Call of Duty, i think the stylus changing the direction is as good as using analog sticks, maybe better.

And also, being able to select something fast instead of scrolling down a long lsit, or pressing the d-pad several times

What actually attracted me to the DS is because of the potential of touchscreen control. And I'm liking it. So far, I have no problem with touchscreen controls.

If there are any games that I feel have are difficult to control, pretty much the games with lousy touchscreen sensitivity. Those are more annoying than any control from LoZ: PH.

But this
Scyris said:
The world ends with you

I feel that TWEWY's touchscreen use was just random scratching on the screen. The commands are pretty similliar. If you said Ninja Gaiden was bad, this may just be a little better than it.

Scyris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Akiyo said:
Well, Nintendo strieves for innovation - and when games and innovations fail to mix well, poops comes out.

True, but I think they should stick what works, Wii had a good concept but its failed pretty badly due to lack of devoloper support. Which again I solely blame on the controller setup they are using. The Stylus for nds is not bad.. its just really akward in some games. Either have the game totally based around it, or just don't use it (FF Crystal chronicles is a example of where they shouldn't of used it period.

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I first tried Top Spin 3, I was clueless on what to do, after trying for an hour, I gave up. Then three days later when I picked the game up again, I got some of it down. To me that game had the worst control scheme for a while.

kitimonfive4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Some games, like Metroid Prime Hunter are a great example of why the stylus is great. LoZ, is another. I just wish you could change the control scheme for LoZ though. I always have the problem where I roll instead of slash.
Games like Cooking Mama, well, the whole purpose of them is to use the stylus, and it's pretty fun.
The problem is that video game companies are just churning out the same systems with better graphics and bigger processors, and Nintendo is trying to break that mold. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it just fails miserably. But it's always up to the game developers to see how it goes.

Scyris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kitimonfive4 said:
Some games, like Metroid Prime Hunter are a great example of why the stylus is great. LoZ, is another. I just wish you could change the control scheme for LoZ though. I always have the problem where I roll instead of slash.
Games like Cooking Mama, well, the whole purpose of them is to use the stylus, and it's pretty fun.
The problem is that video game companies are just churning out the same systems with better graphics and bigger processors, and Nintendo is trying to break that mold. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes it just fails miserably. But it's always up to the game developers to see how it goes.

I tried another FPS on the DS Bionicle Heroes and it uses the stylus to look around (or u can use the face buttons) and it was just akward and hard to play. I am surprized we have not seen a side scrolling metroid on the DS. Even a remake of the snes one with maybe some extra area's/bosses would work.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
Rhythm Heaven is so stupid. It's a cute game, but the controls are so aggravating.

Yeah, they could have easily have used button controls to make the accuracy more precise. The touch screen controls killed the game for me.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
SO far, I haven't come across the game that annoyed me because of the touch-screen feature..

Only thing that bothered me was Rhythm Heaven, because touch screen isn't as precise as buttons, so sometimes you fail, but it's not your fault..

Other than that, I enjoy strategy and SRPG games, because I "feel" the game better if I actually touch the unit and tell it where to go (Advance Wars, ASH, Fire Emblem, FF XII etc.), also I really enjoyed both Ninja Gaiden and LoZ (tho I agree that button controls should be made an option!), sometimes I fear for my screen, because it's a heavy screen usage, but everything is still perfect
smile.gif

Scyris

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well really it depends, a Action game like Zelda shouldn't use the touch screen due to how akward it is. Something like a strat rpg that has virtually 0 action in it is perfect for it.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I forgot about something: HM:IoH (for all hypocrites, it's Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness).

It's not hard, but annoying to control and very easy to make mistakes. At least the next game called:

Harvest Moon: Sparkling Sun and Friends

is gonna have a D-Pad feature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries